Thank You CCers! MAKE RESERVATIONS NOW

<p>I want to thank the experienced posters on this site!! I never put to much into making reservations and plans but after reading posts here tonight (and I am so glad I did) I called my child and asked fir class schedule times and dates and got online and made Thanksgiving reservations and a one way ticket for Christmas. I could not believe the sold out flights trying to come home Tuesday before Thanksgiving! While I was going from one site to the other looking at times, price and seeing about shuttles Delta sold out so I grabbed what was the next best thing!
Again I have to thank the other parents for your comments.
IF you have not made reservations for your child do it TODAY!!
Also, I just got a one way for Christmas because I am not letting her go back! Not really but I would like that!! A one way ticket on Delta was cheap and I did not want to lose the time slot. I will have to ask her what day she wants to go back to school.
Thanks again.</p>

<p>^^^^gotjenks45, not sure if your student loves Bama football but keep in mind that the BCS National Championship is the evening of Jan 6th. Don’t want to jinx but it is very likely Alabama will be in it bringing home another championship. I’d imagine our student would want o be on campus with everyone else to watch the game.</p>

<p>After reading this I ran to my computer to book son’s Thanksgiving flight. Thankfully, Southwest to Chicago seems to have plenty of flights available. I didn’t check Tuesday’s availability because he has classes on Wednesday. I booked a Wed-Sun flight for $250. </p>

<p>He’ll probably drive home for Christmas break because he’ll want his car.</p>

<p>I thought there were no classes Wednesday the 27th.</p>

<p>There are no classes held on Wednesday of Thanksgiving week.</p>

<p>I didn’t try and fly my son out of Birmingham on Tuesday night since we know there are no direct flights and I didn’t want to risk him being stranded somewhere in the middle of the holiday airport madness. He has a very early direct Wed. morn flight.</p>

<p>Lovemykids2, are you sure you booked the right dates? Southwest has been sold out of the lower fares for the Sunday return for a while now.</p>

<p>Lovemykids2 Congrats on the price! Mine was over $600 but to have her home and in her own bed is worth every cent!!</p>

<p>NY Bama For Thanksgiving I’m still debating White Plains 2am Tues nite, Hartford 11 PM or an 11 am arrival on Weds into White Plains. Trying to avoid a wintery city connection as well. He currently arrives at 11 PM Weds night into Philly. I’ve got to change that.</p>

<p>Did you hear a woman screaming about 10 minutes ago!?!? </p>

<p>First - Thank you my dear CC friends for asking me if I had the correct dates and letting me know that classes are closed the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. </p>

<p>I went to the UA fall calendar and didn’t see anything listed and I think that my son had a morning class the day before Thanksgiving last year. After checking on that I opened up my beautiful leather date book (that I NEVER write in) and checked to see what the date was for Thanksgiving this year. However, because I never write in it (only use my phone, which was charging in another room), stupid me didn’t bother to look at the year in my calendar. UGH!!!</p>

<p>Long story short, I came home from working out, checked my email and saw a PM from NYBAMA letting me know that Wednesday classes are cancelled. Thank you NY! Then I looked at this thread and saw C2012M’s post. Thank you C2012M! Went to calendar, saw that I booked for 2012, went to Southwest site and changed the flights to 2013, paid $300 more dollars to fly DS home, and now I’m going to go walk my dog and get over it! Deep breath…</p>

<p>WHEW! Finally sat down and booked D’s flights home and back for Christmas.</p>

<p>I learned a few years ago when booking flights that could change, book each leg on a separate itinerary. If you have to change the first leg of a flight they will cancel the ENTIRE booking and you will lose big time. So play it safe, book each leg separately. </p>

<p>SW only had 2 flights per day that were nonstop between BHM-DAL and DAL-BHM. Or, that is all that is showing that is available. </p>

<p>Still not sure about fall break and her coming home then. She is coming to Texas this weekend but I won’t see her :frowning: She snagged a ticket to the game from an elementary school friend that is at aggieville. Hmm, maybe I should drive down to see her :)</p>

<p>Okay, so for Thanksgiving break, there’s no academic classes on that Wed but offices and such are open.</p>

<p>What about Fall break? When is the first day without classes? Wed or Thur? </p>

<p>Thank you</p>

<p>^ Thursday.</p>

<p>Lovemykids2 - at least you got it straightened out now before the prices went up even more! And that Sunday return was always pricey on Southwest - even the first minutes of the day that the schedule was open to book - so you would have been paying a bunch for that date anyway. :rolleyes:</p>

<p>For the Chicago folks, don’t forget to check the flights out of O’hare. Southwest, which is our main airline, becomes very pricey for Thanksgiving. We booked a Tuesday-Sunday flight out of O’hare which turned out to be a better deal. The only problem is the Sunday return flight departs at 6:30 AM. Son grumbled, but I pointed out we were not paying an extra $300 so he can sleep for a few more hours. </p>

<p>Also, keep in mind a Saturday return flight, or possibly Monday, if they have late classes can save hundreds.</p>

<p>Is anybody driving? S suggested driving home, but we nixed the idea.</p>