Thanksgiving near T-town advice?

<p>Hi all! So my son does not want to come home to PA for Thanksgiving and says there is no reason for us to drive 13 hours to visit him in T-town. </p>

<p>We are not going to leave him alone there,so…we are trying to think of some place we could meet him for that weekend. </p>

<p>We are hoping to have a little vacation together within maybe a 2-3 hour drive, preferably north or east of campus. Nothing big and fancy, just some quality family time.</p>

<p>We haven’t seen him since August 17th. I really miss him and can’t wait until Christmas to see him… :frowning: If it means we simply go to T-town, then so be it, but was hoping to find something else to do close by…</p>

<p>Anyone have a suggestion? THANKS!</p>

<p>I’d follow your son’s advice and stay home per his wishes.
How do you know he will be alone?
He may have made plans with others staying on campus, gotten an invitation from a friend who lives in town, or wants to have a lazy week getting work done and relaxing.
You’ll see him a few weeks later during his winter break.
After reading all the CC threads of the unhappy kids at their current schools, your son’s embracing campus life is refreshing.</p>

<p>I have to agree , be happy HE’S happy! We live near Atlanta, and my daughter has no plans to come back til Christmas break ( we are going to visit family in Chicago for Thanksgiving with our D meeting us for two days)</p>

<p>If you are hell bent on going to see him, Atlanta has great hotels in Midtown and Buckhead with lavish Thanksgiving spreads, and its less than 4 hours from T Town. Plus usually great weather, all the museums, restaurants, etc. </p>

<p>If we miss them more than they miss us…that’s GREAT!!!</p>

<p>^^^ beerme, I just sent you a PM.</p>

<p>Our son says he would meet us somewhere for a “vacation”… (Says we shouldn’t drive to campus because there is nothing to do there. We did go last year for Thanksgiving, but there was the Aubrun game that weekend.) We are thinking of going to Atlanta, even though it is a bit farther than I would like for him to drive alone. We have close friends there that we have not seen in several years. This is what we are leaning towards right now.</p>

<p>Misunderstood your post.</p>

<p>beerme…You didn’t misunderstand. I just wasn’t clear about why he doesn’t want us to visit him on campus. Thanks!</p>

<p>Having a blond moment…do I not have enough posts to respond to a PM? Don’t get why I can read, but not respond? making me crazy! thanks!</p>

<p>Although it would be farther for you all there is Nashville , which is about 3 hours west of Tuscaloosa or Lynchburg Tennessee which is about three hours due north. Both are fun and are the same distance from T-Town to Atlanta (probably more to do in Atlanta or Nashville). If you do happen to go to Lynchburg go eat at Sweet Mary Bobo’s. It’s an old boarding house turned restaurant that serves family style. It has just two seating for lunch and dinner…you need reservations. You have your own waitress that sits at the table with you. Oh did I mention it’s by the Jack Daniels Distillery? A good friend suggested we send DD and he boyfriend there for a treat…they loved it!! I would suggest renting a cabin in the Gatlinburg area but it’s 5 hours away from Tuscaloosa. If you’re up for that I would recommend it!!! Ours was a 5 star place, hot tub on the deck that overlooked the most beautiful view. Gatlinburg is fun!</p>

<p>We are meeting our son in Chattanooga, TN for fall break. We picked it because it wasn’t too far for him to drive (around 3 hours), and it has some touristy things to fill a few days.</p>

<p>Last year we picked up our son for Fall break and headed to Atlanta. There we had a great weekend doing touristy things…World of Coca Cola, Stone Mountain, Six Flags etc. It was a wonderful break for my freshman son and a wonderful memory for us.</p>

<p>Is there ANYthing to do in Tuscaloosa over the Thanksgiving holiday, or will the town completely shut down? What dining is available on Thursday itself?</p>

<p>We ate at a Cracker Barrel restaurant one year when we traveled to Tuscaloosa for the Auburn game. It was surprisingly good and we ate with lots of Bama fans. This Thanksgiving dinner remains a happy memory…and the cleanup was a breeze!</p>

<p>I am also interested in hearing if there is anything going on over Thanksgiving this year. I know there are some past threads about this but any updated info is welcome. :)</p>

<p>Related question - if we want to go to the game at Auburn, is Stubhub the only way to get tickets? The cheapest tickets on there are $195 each, so that’s not happening.</p>

<p>We got two on the Vivid Seats website, but they certainly weren’t a bargain. This was a one-time deal!</p>