Thanksgivng

<p>I am from out of state and plan on flying home for Thanksgiving. Do most students go home on Thursday or would it be okay to miss classes and leave Wednesday?</p>

<p>You probably won’t have class on Wednesday and even if you do, no one will be there. Professors expect no one to show up. You’d probably be fine leaving on Tuesday honestly. Wait until after the first day of class to book your flights so you can look at your schedules and see if you have anything that week. In four years I’ve never had a test or anything that week and I’ve always left before Wednesday. This year I left the weekend before and missed the whole week. Not saying you should do that, but yeah, I’d say like 90% of students don’t go to class on Wednesday. Flying on Thursday is just a nightmare.</p>

<p>School basically lets out at noon Wednesday, but there will be the occasional prof who schedules an quiz/test on the Wednesday (morning) before Thanksgiving; it really comes down to individual cases. We found that late Wednesday departures (after 9PM) or early morning (anything after midnight Thursday) T-Giving day can have more seats and better prices. But if you know your sched early, book ASAP.</p>

<p>My daughter stayed for Thanksgiving last year and thought she would be all alone. At first it seemed that all her friends were going home. And then, one by one, they started realizing that they had way too much work and not enough time to go home, until quite a few of them canceled their plans and stayed at school. </p>

<p>I actually mailed her a complete Thanksgiving dinner, pumpkin pie and all! But they also had a great Thanksgiving meal for the kids who stayed in the Master’s apartment. It was catered and very nice. </p>

<p>For those who do not know, Miami has a residential college system like at HPY etc. Some faculty members live in apartments (the master’s is VERY large) on the first floor of the dorms with their spouses/kids/pets. Students get to use the huge kitchen in the master’s apartment for meals that they arrange to make with other floors as get-to-know-you-sessions. Also different events will be held there which you can attend. It is really quite a nice set-up!</p>

<p>I stayed in Miami for Thanksgiving my freshman year and it was awful, I would not recommend it. Everything on campus, including the dining hall, is closed and if you don’t have a car, you’re stuck on campus with nothing to do. Go home or go home with a friend that lives in Florida.</p>