The []_[], Boston College, Northeastern or NYU for Chemistry?

<p>I can't believe that I have been accepted to all 3 of my EA schools. I am still waiting on NYU (RD). Each of these 4 schools have a lot to offer, and each is a bit different. I am having a tough time deciding on a school. To me, for over-all college experience, I can't think of a better school in the country to attend than The []_[]. Miami has it all (i.e. great academics, weather, activities, varsity and intramural sports, the beach, fishing, diving, the everglades, etc.) If I was latino, or wanted to spend my life in FL., or latin/South America, this would be a no brainer. Boston College has great academics, o.k. sports teams and a wonderful small liberal arts feel while being close to Boston. Northeastern is probably the fastest ring star of all universities in the USA. The co-op system in unparalleled. In addition to an excellent academic reputation, it maintains a good feel campus right in the heart of Boston. Boston is clean, and probably the most dynamic collegiate city in the world. However, it can not be denied that NEU lacks the college atmosphere varsity sports (except maybe hockey). While NYU is cold, gritty and urban, with no sports, academics are top notch and there is no better place to meet future contacts and network. Any thoughts? I'm going to post this in all 4 college forums to get input from different points of view.</p>

<p>I think you have a few very good choices and will not be making the wrong decision by choosing either one. From reading about Northeastern, it seems that a student who aspires for graduate school following undergrad may be in the minority and feel “behind” his peers; Northeastern really invests in its students, but it zeroes in on engineering and business students, whose career trajectory (in my opinion) benefits most from having a great entry-level position. On the other hand, I really like the way they have taken responsibility for their students’ experiences outside the classroom, and I can see how it is of benefit to students from other disciplines, as well. </p>

<p>If you are lukewarm about Miami now, I would visit it and see if it’s really for you. Your post-graduate options will be best in the area, and it may be frustrating if you want to get out (depends on what you want to do, of course). It seems that the U really gives you the best of both worlds, though, in terms of undergraduate teaching and research opportunities. </p>

<p>I would visit BC once again. I think it’s the best choice given what you’ve listed. </p>

<p>I’m not really luke warm about Miami. Actually, I really like the school, the environment and what it has to offer. It’s just that I also like what NEU, NYU and even B.C. has to offer (I have visited them all), and I see myself in a win-win situation. In fact, other than ridiculous cliche’ statements made regarding the [party school] atmosphere, about the the only issue that I have with the []_[] is its concentration on placing graduates in south FL. or latin/South America. I’m also not sure that I want to spend life after graduation in the Northeast, California or anywhere else, for that matter. In reality, I don’t know how important this is, as I will probably attend graduate school after graduation. I just don’t want to be locked in, or stereotyped. </p>

<p>I just want to warn you against NYU: it is not the “overall college experience” and you will be disappointed if you seek that. Heck, even some people who are sure they want the “NYU experience” are disappointed. The people who thrive at NYU have their professional aspirations and personal hobbies intimately linked to what the city has to offer. I went to NYU and my typical advice is “if you can find it somewhere else, you should go there instead.” </p>

<p>Thanks. Still torn. I just came across this stat on student review: Average salaries of graduates:
[]_[]: Starting: ~$53K; 10 yr.: ~$253K
B.C.: $48K/$162K
MIDD: $47K/$90K
NEU: $77K/$130K
NYU: $53K/$165K</p>

<p>Also, the overall grade (which measures students’ perception of Education Quality, Social Life, Extracurricular Activities and Surrounding City) as follows:
[]_[]: 7.5
B.C.: 7.1
MIDD: 7.3
NEU: 7.5
NYU: 7.0</p>

<p>Do you attach any significance to this, or the studentreview website?</p>

<p>Hi WasatchSk1er,
Have you decided? If it is any help I am a biochem major from many many years ago and worked in drug discovery for some years and my son is going to UMiami for a double degree in ACS Chem and Marine. </p>

<p>We spent some time looking into the chem program at UMiami and I can give you some advice, just PM me.</p>

<p>Part of your decision will rest on what you want to do with a chem degree. I know it may be too early to think about this now but it can help you sort out your choices. After an undergrad degree in Chem you have 2 basic options 1) Grad school or go into workforce. If you choose grad school than you will want to look at where you can achieve the highest gpa and get a degree from a reputable School. If you chose the workforce route then it depends on what kind of job you’d be looking for. If for instance it’s Pharma / biopharm then an east coast school is the best choice as 80% of Pharma are located in the mid Atlanttic-Northeast (NJ to be precise) and biopharm are in Boston area ( and Bay area too). So those companies will pull from mid-Atlantic and Northeast for internships and jobs out of college.
If on the other hand you are thinking about the petroleum industry they will pull from FL, TX etc. textiles from lots of areas and foods and fragrances are dispersed too.
In any case UMiami is a very good chem program because it offers an ACS Chem degree. If the other school’s don’t then their programs are not as rigorous for chem. </p>

<p>In the end where you see yourself personally for 4 years is a big part of it. When my son visited UMiami we heard that the stress level is a whole lot lower than anywhere else partly due to the weather but also the campus and the international mix makes it a healthy environment in many ways well beyond the campus that has all the same stressed out students competing for everything 24/7 in cold weather. </p>

<p>Thanks, Bio… It is too bad that I can’t attend the open house on 4/6. However, I will be visiting FL., and the []<em>[], from 4/12-18. During that week, I will decide where to go. Right now, I am interested in the fragrances/cosmetic side of the chemistry field. Of course, I am young, and I may change my mind. If I do, it is likely that I will focus on polymers. Also, the plan to go to graduate school, but, again, who knows. One thing is for sure, although much of NJ is beautiful, and I lived the first 10 years of my life there, I do not want to live there again any time soon. In a perfect world, after school, I will land a job in Germany. If I am to rate my current preferences, there would be a tie between the []</em>[] and Northeastern, with B.C. close behind.
Now, off to the slopes. I am teaching a child at Deer Valley this morning/afternoon, and hope to attend a reggae concert (Steel Pulse) at the Canyons later on.</p>

<p>Wasatch,
If you’re thinking fragrances and skiing then Givaudan or IFF are great options both have big research groups in Europe (CH, DE, FR and IT). Good luck with your decision and if you want to speak to my son you can reach out to him on FB. </p>

<p>I have to say that it is the little things are are drawing me to the []<em>[]. Sure, all of my schools have a great scholastic reputations, and offer a lot in many different regards, but the []</em>[] seems to go the extra mile. Whether it is a Christmas Card, a scholarship, someone reaching out to me or the friendliness of the student body, everything about the []<em>[] has been positive. More than any other school, the []</em>[] has given me the impression that they want me, and that I am special to them. [Now, I only wish that I can get a single room, and be allowed to have a car on campus…Haha…].</p>

<p>…and you haven’t even visited yet right??</p>

<p>That’s true. I will visit the week of April 12. I plan on spending a few days on campus, meeting as many people as possible (students and staff), and learning as much as I possibly can about the school, and the community. The merit $ that I have been offered is great, but my final decision will be based upon comfort. I have been been to Fl., but not the []<em>[]. I have already visited the other schools that I am interested in, and have been accepted to. Unless, something about the []</em>[] leaves a really bad taste in my mouth (the way Middlebury did), I think that I will accept admission there. </p>

<p>Did you get accepted to Middlebury?</p>

<p>No, but I am not disappointed. I wouldn’t have gone there any way. It was my dad’s decision for me to apply to MIDD. I would have nothing positive to say about the school, other than the campus is beautiful. I did not like the atmosphere, and I wouldn’t want to be stuck in an environment in which the friend pool is so limited. I want to choose my friends; I don’t need to be friends with the entire freshman class (~350). That is so high school. Been there, done that.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>The freshman class is 660 (575 regs and 85 febs), but whatever. </p>

<p>Right, whatever. I would wish everyone at MIDD luck. It was not the school for me. </p>