The Age-Old Question...Will My GPA Be Good Enough?

I’m planning on applying to graduate school for the 2018 school year, and am currently on track to finish my Bachelors in August of this year.

Currently, I have a 3.2 GPA which I know is considered “low” on the graduate school end. With two semesters left, it is still possible to raise but there’s clearly no way I’m getting above a 3.4. In fact, I just had to withdrawal (chronic illness) which leaves me with little time to try and get my GPA up and further.

In my gap year I planned to do with with AmeriCorps, with the potential for two terms (if I’m accepted). I addition I have been employed throughout most of college.

Because the route I had to take, I HAVE to get a Masters in order to get my teaching license. Due to my medical problems had I tried to go through my university’s school of education, I would have been in much longer than I already have been. I’m particularly worried due to my medical issues. I feel as though that may make it appear I’m not suited for graduate school if asked to explain why my grades aren’t higher.

I’m also having a hard time finding statistics on graduate school admissions and GPAs. I’m certainly not looking to go Ivy League. I know the University of Toronto has a 3.0 minimum, however it’s hard to think I’d be accepted as an international student with a 3.2. The other schools I was looking at were the University of Colorado, and the University of Washington. Like I did for undergraduate school I will likely look into a lot more. There’s also always the option of continuing at Ohio University, where I currently attend.

Money is also a significant factor. I graduated high school with a 3.2 GPA and received a $40,000 scholarship to Seton Hall University. When I transferred to OU, no such luck. My first semester my medical problems arose and I tanked, though I have since retaken the class I got a D- in. Because my GPA did not transfer however, after three years I’m left with a 3.2.

Assuming I even get into AmeriCorps, what would my chances be of getting into graduate school with a 3.2-3.4 GPA? By no means is that bad I know, but this is graduate school and I’m starting to see some conflicting information. Thanks!