The Binghamton Advantage Program

I just got into the BAP. I plan on visiting soon and talk to a counselor to learn more about it. I heard the dorms you stay in are shared with the athletes and international students. Can anyone confirm this?

I believe you just have to stay in a dorm that has break housing. College-in-the-Woods, Mountainview, and Newing all have break housing.

Friendā€™s kid is doing this, is in one of the dorms mentioned ^ with regular Bing student.

I am a current BAP student and just so all of you know IT IS NOT A 15 MINUTE BUS RIDE. Itā€™s is 30 minutes. Often times the busses are late or just donā€™t show up so therefore you are late for your class.

Iā€™m in Mohawk which is the break housing of CIW. And the dorm is filled with athletes, international students and BAP kids

Since this program was founded five years ago has anyone successfully or is in the process of applying to medical school? Iā€™m interested in medicine and I wanted to know if this program is looked upon favorably. Also does anyone know if the class schedules differ greatly between Broome and Binghamton? Does the rules for cars in campus as Freshmen change if youā€™re a BAP student? If anyone could answer any of these questions that would be great. Thank you

1 Like

My daughter has a number of friends in the BAP program and they were allowed to have cars on campus as freshmen.

Jjrny, okay so there was a student who was in BAP the first year who graduated from Bing with a 4.0 GPA and I believe they said he went to Harvard medical school. So it can be done! BAP will not effect what grad school you get into. The classes at Broome and Bing differ a lot. For one the classes at Bing start and end at different times than the ones at Broome. The classes at Bing are on a 4 credit system while the classes at Broome are on a 3 credit system. Obviously Bing offers more classes because itā€™s a bigger school. And the class size at Bing are bigger. At Broome all of your professors will know when you are not there since the classes are so small and they will probably take attendance. This isnā€™t common at Binghamton. And if you have a car DEFINITELY ACCEPT THE BAP OFFER!!! The busses are like the only thing that make the program suck. If you have a car and donā€™t have to rely on the busses itā€™s a completely different experience than those who have to take the bus.

Thank you marshmallow23!

Can anyone else who is/was in the BAP program share their stats? I have a 29 ACT and a 92.3 W GPA is this close to the BAP stats?

my son just received his decision and he was offered BAP ughhh

These people get to dorm with Bing students? Not badā€¦

Yeah and get to take a bus to community college. No thanks. Iā€™d have to assume students have decent offers elsewhere.

about half of my close friends are in this program, and as a binghamton scholar I think this program is actually fantastic. it just gives students another year to acclimate to a college setting without the intense corseload that a regular college would offer. In the end, youre still getting a Bing degree. Great offer

My son worked his butt off to get in to some great schools. He would be demoralized by leaving campus to attend the community college. Everyday remembering you just missed the mark.

Other people feel differently. Wonā€™t even be considered here.