The Bluffs-Fall 2011

<p>For those considering the Bluffs as a housing option next year here is an email excerpt that was sent out by UA Housing:</p>

<p>Over the last three years, Housing and Residential Communities has leased and managed space at the Bluff, providing a popular option “on-campus” housing options for UA students. Located just one mile from campus on Jack Warner Parkway, the Bluff is a gated community which features private bedrooms and bathrooms in one, two, and three-person apartments.
In fall 2011, HRC will be returning some of this leased space to the Bluff, which the Bluff will lease directly to students. Although HRC will continue to manage a more limited amount of space at this location, students interested in living at the Bluff may wish to lease apartments directly from the property. Please note, students with housing scholarships must live in “on-campus” housing to use their scholarship housing. This includes Bluff space managed by HRC but not leased directly from the Bluff.</p>

<p>So, would an NMF be able to eventually move into the “on-campus” portion of the Bluff and use scholarship money?</p>

<p>My son uses his NMF scholarship money for The Bluff.</p>

<p>Thanks! so is it free for him then as one of the “standard room rates”?</p>

<p>M2CK: If I’m correct, students who live in the Bluffs and are on scholarship still pay about $350 extra each semester, and they must pay through the summer unless they have permission to get out of their contract (as in, they have an internship, study abroad).</p>

<p>this is my son’s second semester at The Bluff. We have not been charged any extra for him to be there. Since he’s graduating in May, he doesn’t have the summer contract req’t. </p>

<p>His friend has been there for 2 years, and she did a study abroad last summer so that she wouldn’t have to do the summer contract req’t.</p>

<p>I’m bumping this up hoping someone can answer these questions… My daughter wants to move in the Bluffs next fall if it is still a UA property. I have a few questions though; how is parking?, does the Crimson Ride service the the Bluffs?, and I’d like a little more info on expenses. My D has the NM housing scholarship, but her future roommate does not. Does the NM scholarship cover a 2 bedroom apt?
Are students still required to buy a meal plan if they live at the Bluffs?
Thanks,</p>

<p>No, the NMF scholarship doesn’t cover the 2 BR. there’s an upcharge for that.</p>

<p>And a NMF can only use the scholarship for the Bama-managed part of The Bluff (which there are limited rooms.)</p>

<p>The contract is for 11 1/2 months, so you’d have to pay for summer…about 2200.</p>

<p>Parking is great. There is parking by the apts…and there is a parking garage under the complex. </p>

<p>There is a Crimson Ride route. It does “rounds” to the school and The Retreat. However, this route doesn’t run on weekends (at this time) and stops around 6pm during the week. </p>

<p>I have to add. The Bluff just built some 4 BR units (kind of honors hall style) and I would not be surprised if THOSE become the Bama-operated units…which would mean that the NMF scholarship would only be used for those (if that happens). </p>

<p>The 3BR units are more expensive than the 4BR units of the on-campus Honors halls, so I would imagine that Bama would want to have the cost more comparable and have NMF students in those 4BR units.</p>

<p>While that may seem like a negative, there’s a plus. These are new units and they have Black Warrior River views and have a brand new pool and (I think) a clubhouse.</p>

<p>BTW…I think Bama houses some of the Basketball athletes there as well. That’s what we noticed last year. And, some of the football players are housed at The Retreat. I don’t know how that is determined…maybe those athletes are married and need that type of housing or they’re grad students.</p>

<p>Oh…and …no meal plan req’d, but you will still have Dining Dollars…that said, I still think a 50 meal deal is good.</p>

<p>Thanks Mom, I wonder if my D can pull her non-scholarship friend into the Bluffs? Is there a priority order for choosing space? Both will be rising Juniors although my D has Junior status with APs by end of this semester. All of D’s friends are moving in the sorority house or apartments next year and she really wants out of the dorms. Her roomie to be has not lived in honors so cannot supersuite next year with her.</p>

<p>I don’t think that there is any req’t that roomies be scholarship holders.</p>

<p>Are they ok with the 11 1/2 month lease?</p>

<p>Is the UA “on campus” portion of The Bluffs contracted through the normal housing lottery or is it a separate process?</p>

<p>Normal process…</p>

<p>Bama doesn’t have a lottery system</p>

<p>So it is the normal first in, first out selection process through UA Housing, correct? The advantages of going through housing are:</p>

<ol>
<li>Billed through UA with tuition etc.</li>
<li>Utilities included</li>
</ol>

<p>Any other?</p>

<p>I think another advantage is that when booking thru Bama you’re not responsible for your roommate if he/she is later paying his/her share of the rent (maybe the same when booking thru The Bluff…don’t know). </p>

<p>Yes…the normal first in/ first pick. </p>

<p>However, I would contact Bama Housing to find out what next year’s options will be and whether the new 4 BR units will be Bama or not.</p>