The Bragging Thread

<p>For some folks, even having a kid get a job at MacDonald’s can be a win. Everything is relative</p>

<p>My son is settling into his new apartment and grad school. Although his nickname is Mr. Inertia, he has gotten in the car to find a church more suited to his style, and has even joined a club on campus, something I never could get him to do in undergrad. He said, Now that I’m living in an apartment, and don’t have the opportunity to meet other students that dorm life gave me, I realize I have to get involved to meet people up here. Now, please, who are you and what have you done with my son? Seriously, though, really proud of him. And so proud of his commitment to his faith that he is actively seeking out a place to worship. </p>

<p>Am very pleased that I have had our 8th annual event for patients, caregivers and healthcare providers and it went VERY WELL! We got a lot of positive feedback and formed some new partnerships that appear quite promising! Over 160 people showed up and more read about it and are contacting our nonprofit for more information.</p>

<p>The resolution that I talked about earlier in this thread (that I wrote and convinced people to back) officially passed the Michigan Legislature today! We have an official “day” now that, in theory, will raise awareness among college administrators about sexual assault and what resources exist to reduce the violence. </p>

<p>Our day is next week, just in time for the SAVE Act deadline. </p>

<p>:-bd </p>

<p>Very timely and important issue, romani. </p>

<p>After twelve years in Scouts (started as a Tiger Cub in kindergarten), DS earned his Eagle rank last month. He’s been away at boarding school the past three years, so he’s only had summers to work this to completion, and his Scout leadership was not sure he’d make it. This was a very, very tense summer because he only had to the end of the August; once he returned to school, he’d turn 18 and lose his eligibility. It was a nail-biter, but he completed his project, passed his board of review on 8/14, and went back to school an Eagle. He considers this his single most important life accomplishment, more important than his upcoming high school diploma. I’ve never seen a kid so happy and proud. All is right in his world.</p>

<p>Wow!!!</p>

<p>Thanks, VH – cute dogs. :)</p>

<p>Once an Eagle, always an Eagle. Congrats and welcome.</p>

<p>Thanks, @jym, but I’ve been here before on page 84. Been a couple of years, though. It was fun catching up with all of these wonderful brags that people post with just the right touch of humility. I didn’t read every page, but I like skimming here. It always give me a smile.</p>

<p>(Nice to see you here, romani, and Go Blue!)</p>

<p>Now, back to some good bragging.</p>

<p>I meant welcome to the family of those with Eagle Scouts.</p>

<p>Both of my nephews are Eagle Scouts but one had a very tense situation like your son. It was too funny when my brother told me at the award ceremony.</p>

<p>My S1 got his Eagle just days before his 18th birthday. </p>

<p>DS and I had conversations about his taking Math 230 before school started. It is notoriously tough. He is enjoying the class and doing well in it. That might sound like damning with faint praise, but believe me, it’s not. </p>

<p>Eta: I’m a Senior Member now. Wheeee!</p>

<p>Ah, got it. Thanks, jym.</p>

<p>Bursting with pride, kid #2 found her dream job, well at least for now. :D</p>

<p>D helped visitors feel welcome by using her Korean (thanks to NSLI-Y for offering this opportunity!).</p>

<p>More socially development on the grad school front. Son has found a church and is even acting as an usher during mass. He continues to go to his campus club, making friends with undergraduates, and even went out to dinner with them after the meeting. Seems like he’s feeling comfortable in his new home!</p>

<p>Son has started and successfully maintained the relationship with his new girlfriend for more than 3 months. It seems they are happy with each other so we are happy for them. They seem to have had a couple of day trips to nearby cities (e.g., NYC.) The parents of the girl know about their relationship and it seems they do not object to it. (Her family lives thousands of miles from her. But a month or so ago, it seems her family sent one of their family members to visit her and sort of “interview” DS and it seems he “passed” :)) </p>

<p>Now he has less time for us and we occasionally need to skip our regular weekly call or cut it short. We are fine with it because we know he is busy.</p>