The Bragging Thread

<p>D called from school last night very upset. At dinner, the conversation at her table devolved into racist jokes and a reference to lynching. She said she was so angry that she was shaking. She told the table that the jokes weren’t funny and that they were not only socially unacceptable, but, more importantly, morally wrong. When someone tried to argue a defense, she left the table.</p>

<p>D has many academic and athletic accomplishments, but H and I are perhaps most proud of this sign of her willingness to show leadership and stand up for what’s right. D has character. Brava!</p>

<p>Wow! You raised her right, too!</p>

<p>Had a nice chat with the apartment manager this morning to ask about package delivery and she asked if son had shared that he had made a new friend. Got my hopes up that perhaps he had met a young lady, but this was even better. There are many families in the complex, and it seems he is spending time playing catch with the two to three year olds when he comes in from class. He is such a kid magnet, always has been. Now, if only a young lady would give him a chance so he can prove what a great dad he’s going to be!</p>

<p>That’s beautiful, montegut. He’ll find the right woman that will appreciate having a man good with kids. </p>

<p>Send me good vibes, CC. I’m taking the plunge and applying for my PhD. All registered for the GRE, am talking to faculty, and starting to work on the documents needed to apply. No idea whether or not I’m a strong applicant but here’s hoping :slight_smile: </p>

<p>That’s awesome, Lady Loma. So few people are willing to put themselves out there and stand up for the right thing, especially when they are young.</p>

<p>I’m sure you’re a strong applicant, romani, but didn’t you just start grad school? So much school, you must be weary of it! I hope you get it, and that it is very well funded!</p>

<p>Fingers crossed for you, romani!!! Kill the stupid GRE! You can so do it. I’m shocked they ask you to take it again after completing your masters. That was not the case in the good old days when dinosaurs roamed the earth and I was applying to grad schools!</p>

<p>bd, I’ll graduate with my master’s in the spring. I love school. I’m such a nerd. :slight_smile: Really, there are very few paths that sound as appealing to me as studying and taking classes for the rest of my life. (Being a professor would be an acceptable alternative). </p>

<p>If I don’t get in, I’m hoping that I’ll be able to keep working on an academic project while I take a year to research and write. I’ll apply again next year, after hopefully being published, if I don’t get in this year. </p>

<p>Thanks, BB! They didn’t make me take it again- my last GRE would actually be just fine (GRE within 5 years is acceptable). I didn’t do as well as I think I could’ve though so I wanted to take it again to improve my application strength. </p>

<p>I’m only applying to one program this year (as I want to stay in Michigan for at least the year and continue working on two projects that will hopefully be funded). The program is completely funded for 5 years so no worries about funding :)… just the admission part! The admission rate is somewhere around 5%- eek! </p>

<p>son scored air time on major Boston radio station his first week as a freshman and they let him stay! :slight_smile: love my boy, so proud and happy for him. miss his smile</p>

<p>I just landed my dream job at age 59! My 22 & 25 year old daughters sent me flowers from across the country to tell me how proud they were of me. </p>

<p>Wow, such great news from romani, rumrunner, and believuemom. Congrats all and best of luck with all the new endeavors.</p>

<p>@bellevuemom, what is the job?? Sounds wonderful!!</p>

<p>I’ll be working as a Strategic Account Liaison for a software company. I get to work from home plus travel about 20%. So excited!</p>

<p>Ah – work from home! That’s what I’m doing these days. I absolutely love it. </p>

<p>My daughter is starting her job at her school. Apparently there are more side benefits to this job such as companies will open the jobs for internships or real jobs 10 days ahead to this small group vs the general population. The free pizzas sponsored by Google doesn’t hurt.
This comes after 2 weeks at a life changing job, one of those jobs that you make sure you don’t work at it ever again. I call that life changing for a reason. I laughed when my daughter told me she and her roommate are going to quit. The employer wants them to do 20 hours per week. Last year I had reservations about the job but it was hard to tell my kid not to do it. She wanted this job. Now she’s quiting. Life is sweet.</p>

<p>I made my own post but thumper said it belongs here as well. I just celebrated my 9 year anniversary at work… and then got a promotion and am in an IT management position now. So excited for my new role. Only down side is that I currently work from home 95 percent of the time and I’ll need to go into the office quite a lot more to be brought up to speed and to be visable in my new role. The positive to that is I took myself on a shopping spree to celebrate. :)</p>

<p>Congrats on your promotion… and new wardrobe.</p>

<p>Son called us midday to tell us about his newest food adventure with his new club friends. Seems every Friday after video games club meeting, the group goes out to eat. Now, this is a boy who eats nothing but chicken nuggets and cheese pizza, only moving up to grilled chicken now to lose weight. Seems last night the kids went to a Japanese place, where son ate whitefish sushi and chicken teriyaki. Mom and Dad’s feet are not touching the ground. Heck, even Mom won’t eat raw fish! Dad is hoping this means there’s a special lady he’s dining with, but Mom here is just so happy that he’s trying new things! He is anxious for us to get up there next weekend and take him shopping, as it’s already hit the 30s in Minnesota! </p>

<p>

When he has less time for Dad and Mom, but send a picture of him and a “special lady” holding hands, it would be an even “better” news.</p>

<p>Another clue of this likely happening is that, if he has never ordered wine for the dinner, he all of a suddent orders wine (for two people) when he dines with the other person.</p>

<p>Yesterday, I successfully defended my Master’s thesis. It went really well, and my committee all told me it was awesome and that my thesis is super cool. Also, on a shallow note, I got lots of compliments on my outfit throughout the day. </p>