The Bragging Thread

[color=magenta] yay

I survived my first 2 weeks of college and I was offered a job today at an on-campus restaurant. :smiley:

Congratulations, @stugace !! :-bd

My son got a research opportunity on campus. It’s in some sort of theoretical physics topic which I cannot understand. I read the professors we page and I also cannot understand it. But S us very happy. He also has two jobs grading papers and TAing labs.

I managed to secure enough mileages to book business class upgrade to Europe for less than $200.
I’ve been patiently waiting in the last few months until Pottery Barn has a sale on clearance for extra 25%, I didn’t get nick on the delivery charge either. Good thing I didn’t pull the trigger earlier.

I just received the title of my car from DMV because we had paid off our auto loans in August.

Who said the state government is not efficient?! We paid off the auto loans in the middle of August, the loan company notified DMV shortly after, and we now have the title in our hand. The whole process took less than a month, without us being involved at all (other than paid the last payment.)

It is pretty efficient in my opinion.

I have bought new cars only 3 times in my whole life. Only the first new car and this new car were purchased with finances. Also, we have owned more used cars than new cars. But we mostly bought reasonably good used cars (e.g., cost more than $12K) except when we first started out.

H and I celebrated our 35th wedding anniversary yesterday!

Congrats, FallGirl and FallGirl’s hubby! :slight_smile:

Today is my first day of grad school for my PhD program. Felt right to share that with my cc aunts and uncles :slight_smile:

Oh yay – one day down, 8 million more to go!!

My sons have chosen to date young women of great character and kindness. So I just want to brag on their decision making skills! OK - I also want to brag that they must be good guys if these young women are willing to be their “girlfriends”.

Happy 1st day of school, romani.

Gosh, @VeryHappy, let’s not exaggerate. It’s only like 6-7 years
 (Whoops I am not helping my case
) :stuck_out_tongue:

Should be five, @romanigypsyeyes. Should be five. :wink:

Congrats to Queen Elizabeth

^^http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-34177107

Queen Elizabeth II becomes the longest-reigning UK monarch.

My academic struggler just won a prestigious award in his field (3rd, behind two established professionals in the field) and for icing on the cake, after visiting friends across the country, he sent them a thank-you gift for their hospitality. All on his own!

The average length of completion in my department is just over 6 years. Those who train as historians (which I am) are on the high end of that. Ethnic and English scholars are on the shorter end.

Since I work in very recent medical history, I have the lovely extra burden of hipaa for most of the documents I want to use.

So 6-7 years :).

@greenbutton.

Congrats to your son. I know I worry more about my non academic kid and her future than her brother. When these kids find success we are so excited for them and excited for ourselves because some of our “worry stress” is lifted.

My D just worked her usual full time job AND a full time temp job for two months in hopes of getting an offer with benefits. She was exhausted but did get the job offer. Sadly it wasn’t competitive even with the benefits so she didn’t accept it.

She did manage to get a raise at her full time job as they were afraid of losing her.

Oh well

My kid is finishing her internship and was offered next year internship at this company for next summer. I don’t know if she will take this offer but nevertheless it was a nice offer and she’s pleased when she texted me.
I now can focus on my retirement.