The Bragging Thread

Out of the blue kid was told she got a scholarship to go to one event. She originally thought she couldn’t go because it was sold out. The kid is lucky. Her professor recommend her for the scholarship. She didn’t even apply.

Awesome, @DrGoogle! Isn’t it wonderful when good karma strikes? I was surprised to be tapped to present, but it is nice to work with national orgs that I’ve been friendly with for years.

D’s “ISIS ransom note” (aka her school’s billing system’s statement - I kid you not it is called “ISIS”) was reduced by 75%! :slight_smile: Yay to scholarships.

That’s terrific bunsen, but the school might consider changing that name:)

Just like Isis the Dog on Downton Abby took – ummmm – early retirement.

Remember the diet candy that was called AYDS? They changed their name, didn’t they?

Owwww… Never heard of them. But that was quite unfortunate!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayds

Have been dreading it but was able to make an updated newsletter and send it out WITH links that work! I’m so pleased that it worked properly! It is a challenge for me to learn new things–how to be somewhat of a webmaster and newsletter editor, but I am keeping those brain synapses firing. I’ve also updated several webpages and they function as I intended! D bossed, coached and bullied me on the webpages but I did the newsletter on my own.

My wife “informed” me that two years worth of DS’s Federal Direct (i.e., unsubsidized Stafford) Loans had been paid off. I think she had been “working”, (i.e., paying it) on this little by little for the past 2 years.

Not sure whether this would be something to brag out, because the school really has not “offered him” (or more correctly speaking, burden him with) very much student loans in the form of unsubsidized Stafford Loans. Two years of this kind of loans is only about the price of a not so expensive new car. (Hey, DS, Do not complain that we have never given you a new car. We have essentially just given you one.)

He has 3 kinds of student loans. In terms of their loan amount:

Institution Loans >> Federal Direct >> Perkins

The last one, Perkins, is likely the best due to its low interests rate. But the school did not offer much each year, and not for every year. (maybe it is because we are not poor enough as compared to some other families? Or the federal government is not generous enough? LOL.)

The first one, Institution Loans, is only good while still a student. The interests starts to accrue when the payment starts and the interests rate is higher.

(Hmm… Maybe the correction name for the Institution Loans is Alumni Loans, because this kind of loans is really funded by a group of alumni, not really funded by the school, as I heard.)

I think my wife is happy. When the wife is happy, the husband is happy.

@BunsenBurner, If I remember it correctly, the login system at DS’s school is called SIS. Do not know what it stands for. Their electronic (online) payment system is called e-bill/e-pay, I think. (Thanks God. I no longer need to deal with that e-bill/e-pay for the rest of my life!)

Gave a talk today at our local AARP. They told me I was their best speaker, as I was engaging and had very interesting handouts and made the talk relevant to the audience. I was pleased that they all seemed interested in everything I gave them. They took my business cards and may ask me to speak at their other organizations as well. It was enjoyable and I may join their organization, as it may help us work on some legislative and other issues together.

I’ve finished my tax just before the deadline. Yay! I feel good.

^^ Lol. Fellow tax procrastinator club member here. I also just filed last week. A big improvement over last year’s December filing. :smiley:

How do you file in Dec?

Multiple extensions justified by being overseas

Just received a renewed driver license (for another 5 years? Not sure here), without having to go to the DMV. Not sure how many times I can renew my driver license by going online only.

Will be roughly “on target” on the total amount of student loan debt, just as we had planned a long time ago.

The loss on our 401K seems to have been lower recently.

Our house has been taken care very well by our tenants. They even won the yard of the month. Our real estate agent sent us a picture about it. Who have such nice tenants - we could possibly rent it to them forever!

The last but not the least: We received a call from DS this weekend and knew he is well! (Have not heard from him for several weeks.)

Haven’t filed yet either. :smiley:

I’m almost done though.

S1 just called an invited DH and me to his house with his GF, for Thanksgiving. Said he also plans to invite S2 and his GF. Wow. Just wow.

(We need to figure out what to do with the dogs, but we’ll make it happen.)

Doesn’t get much better than that in my book @veryhappy! :slight_smile: