The Bragging Thread

@Magnetron , before MP3 players and Walkmen, I would listen to that (Menuhin) in the music library before tough finals. It’s very stirring.

This is a little different kind of brag. My 23-year-old, mentally ill son has just moved into a shared apartment after living in a group home for almost a year. It’s run by the same non-profit organization. There is staff on-site 24/7, so he sees someone twice a day to take his meds, but other than that, he’s independent. His roommate is a really nice guy who manages to keep a parakeet alive, so I figure he has to be somewhat on the ball! I know he would speak up if he saw my son struggling. The apartment is right off of Main Street in a cute little town. He can easily walk to the grocery store, bank, post office, etc. He has the same case manager, who helps him go to the food pantry and other places. His rent is subsidized, so his Social Security payment plus food stamps are enough for him to live a decent life. I thought I should share a GOOD story about mental health services in this country! I have been so impressed with the services he’s getting. I know we’re very lucky, and I don’t take his situation for granted. :slight_smile:

Another surprise happened Wednesday, when I took him to the DMV to get a state ID card (he’s flying to Texas with us in May and will need ID). The very nice woman said, “Don’t you want another driver’s license?” He explained that he has a mental illness, and his license expired after only two years. He did NOT want to take another road test (he had to take one when he disclosed his illness, and they said he would need to do that every couple of years). She clicked around and said, “Well, as long as nothing has CHANGED since you last renewed, you’re all set.” Really?!? Whatever. Such a gift! He is a really good driver, but I thought he might never drive again because of the road test obstacle. It’s been a good week.

@MaineLonghorn (like X100)

@MaineLonghorn - I wanted to like AND hug (helpful) at the same time. Blessings to you. I pray for you and your dear son often. ((HUGS))

@MaineLonghorn: That’s great news.

@MaineLonghorn That truly is something to brag about! Unless one’s life has been touched by mental illness, one truly has no real understanding of what a wonderfully, big deal that is. Best of luck to your son.

D, who is in art school, got a perfect score on her critique this term! (She has never heard of anyone getting a perfect score. The director/founder of the school–who usually doesn’t evaluate her class–praised her work.)

Yesterday I came home from visiting my daughter at school. It’s a 6-hour drive. Since she decided to stay there for break this week, the mountain went to Mohammed and I drove. Last night I picked up the bedtime book I’ve been reading and tucked inside was a wonderful note from her. I am a happy mommy!

Aw, that is beautiful, oldmom. Priceless.

My son is engaged, my son is engaged!! He and his fiancee – wow, what a wonderful word – called this morning to tell us the news. It wasn’t at all a surprise, but DH and I are thrilled!!

This is the son about whom I posted the thread with the question about sapphires, and this is also the son who just found out he’ll have an internship in Fargo, North Dakota. I teased the fiancee this morning that she must have insisted on the ring before moving with him to Fargo!

What an exciting week, VH. Congrats to your family.

She should have asked for a bigger ring. :wink: Just kidding! Congrats to you! And congrats to the couple on their “matching.” :slight_smile: <:-P

Congratulations!@veryhappy

@VeryHappy - Congratulations to your son, his fiancée, and your families. Very happy news!

D found out yesterday that she passed her comps. Only one more weekend class session and she will be done with her masters:)

I finally made the 10k club! 10k Likes on CC.

Thank you to the kind readers who tolerate my babble. :slight_smile:

If there was a funny button, @GMTplus7, you’d have more than 10k!

Son received his master’s diploma in the mail this weekend, after finishing his first week of his first job. He’s starting as a trainee, but gets full benefits from day one. Driving distance from his apartment, so he won’t have to move! With the weather warming up, he can still drive my car while shopping for a more snow worthy vehicle. He continues his friendships with not only his school friends, but friends he made from his college job. So happy he has found a place to call home and build a life.

I’m not supposed to tell anyone quite yet but…

I’M GONNA BE A GRANDMAMA

so let’s keep it a secret :wink:

Oh @alh how wonderful! =D>

(and I was going to post my excitement over the fact that I just saw the Oscar Meyer Wiener mobile for the third time in my life.)

I will hold that one for another day!