The Bragging Thread

At D’s going away party today, her good friend, a young man who’s had some significant challenges, told H that she inspires him to do better and that he’s really glad that he met her. And yesterday a young man who is at serious risk in the summer program where she is interning, wrote her that she makes HIM want to do better and to stay in school.He will tell his younger sisters about her and to work hard in school so that they might have the options she has.

Her goal has always been to inspire young people to get invested in their educations, and she is already doing, that, already changing lives. And she is just 16.

D1 got engaged last night. It is now official.

@oldfort , congratulations on D1’s engagement. Time to immerse yourself in the MOB thread. :slight_smile:

H cleaned out the garage this weekend…with no help from me. We now have 2 cars parked in our 2-car garage. This is pretty darn close to a miracle!

@oldfort Congratulations! Very exciting news! Wishing your D, her fiancé, and both families much happiness.

ChoatieCadet is now a Corporal and coming home tonight for two weeks! Hooooooraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

(@2muchquan: I’d be thrilled if my son were at MSU and I went to U-M, too)

Just found out that the first grandbaby in Mr R’s family is going to be a boy! My first time as an aunt will be to a nephew! (And I guessed right that it was a boy.)

S1 killed it at his internship this summer and was offered a full-time position when he graduates in May. Yay for one less stressful thing in life. To top it off, he won the home run derby at the company picnic, beating an ex-professional baseball player in the finals.

D just presented her freshman research project “Tryptophan Absorption and Fluorescence via TD-DFT Depends on Conformation” at Bucknell U and had a fantastic time. She has been selected by her college to apply for the Barry Goldwater Scholarship, by all accounts a prestigious honor to be chosen.

My S, who I rarely talk about here on CC, finished 8 years with the USAF in July and has been recruited by several top contracting companies in the DC area for engineering positions. He has chosen a position as a systems engineer in the six figures. Not bad for a kid who had a tough last two years of high school, spent some time living on his own senior year, and struggled to get his diploma. He has now put an offer on a townhouse in the NOVA/MD area.

According to S his sisters’s research project sounds like “how much turkey do you have to eat before you glow in the dark”. LOL, both kids have a great sense of humor.

Love your son’s summary of your daughter’s research project!!! :smiley:

8 weeks, 10 pounds, up 6% muscle, down 7% body fat.

One day I say to my daughter, “You’re gorgeous, you know that? Maybe I should try to see if someone could work with your look. Maybe try a modeling agency or something?”

The next week she is out trying on clothes in the stores and approached for a magazine photo shoot. The shoot was fantastic, the looks wild and wonderful, and the remarks to ‘get her to an agent’ plentiful.

Here’s hoping the college selection and acceptance process go nearly as seamlessly.

Driving up to Rochester to see my daughter’s presentation at the Undergraduate Research Symposium tomorrow at RIT. She’s been working with her advisor since January and will be given a co-authorship if/when he publishes.

@Madison85 pointed me here. Landed a job at the American Museum of Natural History. For a scientist like me, this is a bit like getting a gig at Hogwarts, on the Starship Enterprise or at the Lego HQ.

I think I can say son is successfully launched. He has a job, completed his three month training period. Has his own health insurance and now car and renters insurance. Got a drivers license in his new state, and opened a bank account there. Bought his first car. Now, if only he could find a nice girl…

Congrats, Aspieration.

Montegut, your son’s story sounds like the story of my good friend’s son. What got him the girl was… a fluffy kitten. :wink:

Oh, Bunsen, your lips to God’s ears.

I am happy to say that my daughter got hired for her first job as a nurse practitioner ! She graduated in May, passes her boards in June and got all of her credentials. She will start her new job in a couple of weeks. It’s a job that she is excited about, although I don’t think she will stay there forever. It is with the state prison system , all female. She is passionate about working with women in an underserved population.
It’s not a bad start for an entry level job.

Congrats to your DD @lje62

Wow, lje62, that is amazing. What a special young woman she is. Best wishes to her!