The Bragging Thread

Glad that dishwasher talk inspired you! Do you hire out??! :wink:

2 Likes

ā€œPlumbing analystā€ - I love that!

1 Like

Sounds expensive.

Not bragging. Iā€™m sure Iā€™m the ONLY person who is excited about this. My family thinks Iā€™m weird to be excited about it.

Iā€™m a terrible housekeeper:
I prefer to do other stuff: cook, yoga, work, play with the dog, etc. But once in a blue moon, I do deep cleaning.

Finally cleaned out our all-freezer.

• threw out 3 bags of expired/old stuff
  • bought these Container Store drawers, so we can access stuff deep inside (pull out drawers)
  • weā€™re ā€œalmostā€ vegetarians: less than 20% of the freezer is meat stuff :slight_smile:
  • and less than 25% of the stuff are pre-made/processed food

Iā€™m just happy I made space for my obsession:

• NJ Hot Bagels Abroad bagels (bought 2 doz on Friday): itā€™s almost 5hrs from our house; dragged family out of the way from the college tour

10 Likes

I think a nosy but fun thread would be ā€œpost a pic of the inside of your refrig or freezerā€!!! One magazine used to do that - on the last page of the magazine (Real Simple?) they would post a pic of a celebs refrigerator.

Good job - looks like you donā€™t need to grocery shop for awhile!!!

4 Likes

I almost never brag about myself but Iā€™m going to say this here (since I really canā€™t say it elsewhere).

After over two years of very hard work and putting my needs first at times (a new concept for me) ā€“ lots of diet and exercise (no surgery, no meds), I have reached my goal weight. I am literally half the weight I used to be. And Iā€™m in better shape than Iā€™ve been in for decades.

Now I am starting to transition to a new phase ā€“ maintenance-- and this is actually a bit scary. My hope is that I can learn to balance what Iā€™ve been doing with the occasional splurge. Wish me luck.

17 Likes

This is something to definitely celebrate! Your health and wellness thanks you.

2 Likes

Nice!

Did some much needed declutter in my kitchen. Guests were coming, and Iā€™ve been prioritizing other things in nice weather (gardening, running, cycling, walking, traveling). But it was time. I bet the kids wonā€™t recognize the kitchen desk area.

13 Likes

Iā€™m going to turn my kitchen desk area into a coffee stationā€¦as soon as I clear it offšŸ™„

5 Likes

Congratulations! :tada:

When I lost 50 pounds (about 15 years ago) I realized that almost all of us can lose the weight with dedication but keeping it off was the real work. Things that worked for me - not having a flexible wardrobe (meaning one size of clothes, if things get snug, I know what I need to do and buying new clothes isnā€™t it!) - continue measuring ā€œproblemā€ foods (for me thatā€™s cereal, I cannot not measure a bowl of cereal) - keep moving (as soon as I hear myself say ā€œI donā€™t feel like itā€ or, ā€œtomorrowā€ I get right up and take my walk, do my yoga, or whatever other physical activity Iā€™m thinking about putting off), and mostly I am accountable to myself (if I badly blow a meal, I donā€™t punish myself or berate myself, nor do I blow the rest of the day, I simply begin fresh at next meal.)

Enjoy the new you!

9 Likes

Wow!! That is an awesome accomplishment! Congratulations!

2 Likes

Thanks for that advice. Iā€™ve just started some buying nicer, well-fitting clothing for myself so hopefully I can follow your lead. (And as a bonus my grown D is going shopping with me in a few weeks ā€“ kind of a nice role reversal LOL).

8 Likes

Congratulations, @happy1, thatā€™s a big accomplishment. :tada:

1 Like

My good friend lost about half her body weight a couple years ago. She has been able to keep it off, even when foot surgery kept her sidelined from walking for a period of time over the summer. It can be done, and Iā€™m sure that the changes you made in your life to get where you are will stick with you for the long term.

5 Likes

Need to brag again about my HS senior. Despite earning 2 C+'s last year in 11th grade and 2 Cā€™s in 9th grade (back in the COVID days of online schooling, what a train wreck THAT was!), so far, sheā€™s been accepted to 4 of the 7 colleges sheā€™s applied to (waiting to hear back from the other 3). And yesterday at school, she learned that sheā€™s received an AP Scholar with Honor award, plus a school award for integrity.

I no longer care about the Cā€™s. I am so dang thrilled about her integrity award. Iā€™ve always known that my kid is a good egg. Other people (her teachers, school administration) see it, too. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :slight_smile:

Today, she sent emails to the 3 LACs that she applied to in order to inform their admissions departments of these 2 awards.

Canā€™t wait to see where she ends up at college.

15 Likes

My freshman son is still figuring out a few things about where he fits at his college, but the Chair of his (major) department asked him to be her research assistant this spring doing medical research. Iā€™m proud and excited that she saw his potential and he is being given this opportunity so soon after arriving on campus.

19 Likes

My oldest got a degree in English Lit from one of the seven sisters colleges. After a few temp jobs, she decided to try teaching middle school language arts and social studies. A few days ago, she sent us an email where her principal congratulated her on having the highest SGP (student growth percentage) in the department last year! As a first year teacher!

She has all the qualities that make a good teacher and has really connected with some of her students. One of her last yearā€™s students just sent her an essay he wrote just for her: the ā€œgarbagenessā€ of Little Women compared to the brilliance of Jimmy Buffetā€™s Tales From Margaritaville, lol.
IMG_3092

10 Likes

I was reading your list of local fresh foods and was instantly reminded of home, now I know why :slight_smile:

A+ on that essay from this English major who disregarded some of the writing for the hilarity. Students like that make your day.

2 Likes

Thanksgiving coming up. S flying in from San Jose will be here in a few hours. D flying in from Baltimore arrives tomorrow. Iā€™m so happy we will all be together soon!

9 Likes