The Bragging Thread

<p>Same here, thumper! I saw them on Halloween, and they were dressed in orange and black and put on a great show. Loved Jersey Boys, too.</p>

<p>Must have been an adventure raising her. Good thing she was your youngest and you had some time to come into your own as as a parent</p>

<p>Fortunately ( or unfortunately) my oldest was so easy I didn’t build many skills.
It’s true the qualities that serve you well when you are older are difficult when your mom is trying to get you in the car to go to school.</p>

<p>However,she is the most like me , we both love music- she even wants to play guitar. ( or banjo- I told her to start with a guitar) & someday I hope to drag her to a Pearl Jam show so she can see why I have been so taken with them all these years.</p>

<p>( If I could only see one band for the rest of my life, there wouldn’t be any contest- they are that wonderful. Emotional, funny,sexy & energizing. & someday I am going to play on stage with Mike McCready- even if it is the tambourine-after all I am taking lessons from one of his friends, it could happen! ;))</p>

<p>My first concert was Elvis – I am not as old as that makes me sound, I was fourteen and he was old and fat. My good friend’s mother thought that we should all see Elvis so we would “know good music” (kinda like EK and Pearl Jam!) and took whole group of us when he came to town. We were in the fourth row and her mom got one of his scarves. It was sweaty and gross, but she was thrilled.</p>

<p>First concert:</p>

<p>The Carpenters- dad with blimp pilot friend took me

then Neil Diamond
then Billy Joel- piano man tour
Jackson Brown
Blue Oyster Cult
AC/DC
and then the list is endless
last concert Jimmy Buffet (3x)
Rolling Stones in Padre Stadiuim opening with Joan Jett</p>

<p>still want to see Dolly Parton

and my heartthrob wasn’t DC/Bobby Sherman but Bobby Goldsboro! and Glen Campbell and Mac Davis!
although my age group at the time were gaga for DC’s bro Shaun Cassidy.</p>

<p>Of course I had to fit all this in around the Rick Springfield concerts. Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhh</p>

<p>Kat</p>

<p>My first concert was Frank Zappa.</p>

<p>I saw Aerosmith and J. Geils Band last summer at Fenway Park. I think I was the only woman who did not have a tattoo. It was wicked ****ah!</p>

<p>First Concert
apparently it was Chubby Checkers when he came to Yokohama, but I don’t remember it. :frowning:
then either Hair (if that counts) with parents, or The Guess Who who came to our school
then I think Crosby, Stills and Nash
most recent concert was Sonata Arctica and a couple of other metal groups</p>

<p>I saw Fleetwood Mac at the US festival, but it was clear they all hated each others guts at that point. It was a very strange show, no one wanted to be on stage with each other. Mick was the only one who stayed on stage the whole time.</p>

<p>I thought David Cassidy was cuter, but didn’t like his music or Bobby Sherman’s. I was into Simon and Garfunkel. (Still am, or would be if they were together.)</p>

<p>Oops! Didn’t realize I would get “dinged” for that. Sorry!<br>
My first concert was Chicago. I still like their early music.</p>

<p>Technically, Donna Fargo was the first concert, but I’m going to disclaim that on the basis that it was just because she was singing at a corporate picnic that my friend invited me to when I was in grade school. First real concert was one of those all day “festivals”. Tulsa Fairgrounds to see Peter Frampton, Gary Wright, Santana (really! he was third billed at that time!) and some supporting group called Natural Gas.</p>

<p>DH saw Pat Benetar play in a bar in his college town before she became famous.</p>

<p>Not my brag, but a friend’s–
Standing outside with friends one summer evening long ago she met “a short guy with a motorcycle” who chatted her up for a while and finally asked her if she’d like to take a ride. She passed.
After he rode off her friends informed her that it was Billy Joel (pre-Christie Brinkley days). Knowing his driving record, maybe it’s just as well.</p>

<p>My first concert memories–went with a friend to see Grand Funk Railroad. When the music started, everyone left their seat and rushed down onto the floor. Everyone except my friend and me (“What’s everyone doing?”) and the guy 4 or 5 seats over who was bent over in his seat with his head hung down barfing.</p>

<p>I guess I never really got into rock concerts
</p>

<p>We are the most fascinating people I’ve never met!</p>

<p>Okay, I once attended a Slade/ZZ Top concert, general admission, at Convention Hall in Asbury Park. And I went there in a Gremlin (taxicab yellow) with eight other people in the car. It’s possible my claustrophobia dates from that day.</p>

<p>I’m not sure that’s a brag or a plea for help.</p>

<p>My brag is that I have the same book that the son that Jeffrey Rush referred to as “doctor” was reading in one scene in The King’s Speech - it’s The Fold Out Atlas of the Human Body, reprint of the 1906 edition. </p>

<p>[Amazon.com:</a> The Fold-Out Atlas of the Human Body: A Three-Dimensional Book: Alfred Mason Amadon: Books](<a href=“http://www.amazon.com/Fold-Out-Atlas-Human-Body-Three-Dimensional/dp/B000PSN5EU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1296691412&sr=8-1]Amazon.com:”>http://www.amazon.com/Fold-Out-Atlas-Human-Body-Three-Dimensional/dp/B000PSN5EU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1296691412&sr=8-1)</p>

<p>No particular concert brags but my Grandfather was in the orchestra that played at Radio City Music Hall, and we would go see shows quite often and we’d get to sneak in the stage door and see all the Rockettes! Thrilling for a kid and that building has the best, most glamorous “rest rooms” that I’ve ever been in.</p>

<p>We saw Rita Rudner doing stand-up comedy in a small club before she became semi-famous. We were seated front and center, so ours was the table she spoke to and got answers and comments to bounce jokes off of. </p>

<p>Almost brag: Whoopi Goldberg did stand-up comedy in a small club in Davis, CA when I was in grad school there. I saw the ads and flyers, but I didn’t go because I had never heard of her. A few years later she was a big star.</p>

<p>That reminds me. My kitchen stove is a 1895 Quaker Grand cast iron stove, completely refurbished (with GE Profile cooktop and electric oven) by a master artisan in Massachusetts. Whoopi Goldberg also bought a similar stove from him. So there
I’m an almost know someone famous in the kitchen appliance world!</p>

<p>My brag of the day is that some elderly customer called me at work to ask me some questions. I spent about a half an hour with her on the phone, thanked her for giving us a call and told her to be careful if she went outside because of the weather and she said her goodbyes and hung up the phone. She must not have hung up her phone properly because in the background I heard her say to someone, “Wow, that was such a nice lady. She was wonderful!” </p>

<p>She made my day and probably doesn’t even know it!</p>

<p>My celebrity sightings:</p>

<p>I attended a party and Doug Flutie was there. Also went to one of my D’s volleyball tournaments and Terry Francona (Red Sox manager) was there watching his daughter play. </p>

<p>Tom Brady used to live a mile from me. Once saw him coming out of the post office and climbing into the black Cadillac Escalade he won for being Superbowl MVP. (He moved up and out, of course, once the big bucks rolled in). Have also spotted other Patriots players in the grocery store and in restaurants. </p>

<p>Favorite Tom Brady story - he used to eat at the local McDonalds. One of my friends worked there, and had noticed him as a good-looking, very polite frequent customer. One day she saw one of the teenage girls who worked there leaning over the counter to watch him leave, and asked her, “Who are you looking at?” The girl replied, “That’s Tom Brady! He’s the new quarterback for the Patriots!” My friend replied, “Well if all football players are that good-looking I need to start watching football!”</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>That’s a serious brag. I haven’t been envious in several years, but I gotta admit
sigh.</p>