The Bragging Thread

<p>My H was a big Chicago fan in high school, & I admit I would have never seen the Who ( three times) without him. </p>

<p>I think I saw Heart @ the GoldCreek dome in Woodinville ( who could tell, it was the '70s)- I also saw Tower of Power many times at a local roller rink in the 70s, does that count as a concert?</p>

<p>( Some friends also won the very first MTV basement tape contest, the prize was a recording contract & opening for Van Halen-the lead singers fur boots are in the EMP museum- good place for them ;))</p>

<p>But my favorite music was Motown & bluesy rock like the Animals, Ten Years After & Johnny & Edgar Winter, once I grew out of the Monkees.</p>

<p>I also saw Climax Blues Band with Journey, before Steve Perry , I think. - Oldest D’s first show ( if you don’t count Tickle Tune Typhoon & Tim Noah) was at the Off Ramp when she was 12 to see Garbage, with a couple of her friends- she reportedly crowdsurfed:eek: </p>

<p>Younger D didn’t like concerts for a long time, too many people, I think, Her first show was Oasis, although she did go with me to the Sasquatch festival on her 18th birthday. She wanted to see M.I.A., I wanted to see REM.</p>

<p>( I was nervous when she went back to the campground by herself, because I still wanted to hear REM., my hair would have turned white, if I had known the next year she was going to be traveling around * Goa* on her 19th birthday!)</p>

<p>When I was in high school we had live bands for our dances, D2 complained they just had DJs, but her school has a bust of Jimi Hendrix in the library, or at least they used to.</p>

<p>I married a guy whose first concert was the Monkees
Jimi Hendrix was the opening act. He said small children were crying at the noise! (Hendrix, not the Monkees ;))</p>

<p>I am very very good at untying stubborn knots and getting those stupid price stickers off items you purchase at the store. If you have a knot in a fine jewelry chain, I’m the gal you want to see.</p>

<p>lol skyhook, can you also fix busted zippers??? If so I’ll mail you a coat!!</p>

<p>Ok, I didnt want to have to do this, but here you go:</p>

<p>I saw Elvis in the Astrodome. He wore the white sparkly jumpsuit and circled the arena in a convertible. This was at the rodeo between bullriding and barrel racing, folks.</p>

<p>Big. Time.</p>

<p>EK4–nobody outgrows the Monkees!</p>

<p>My husband’s barber used to cut Elvis Presley’s hair. He also cut hair for Johnny Cash and Jerry Lee Lewis, whom he went on tour with. Great barber!</p>

<p>I was childhood friends with one of the Manson Girls. Top that. ;)</p>

<p>EK4–nobody outgrows the Monkees!</p>

<p>Rick Friel would agree with you.
I couldn’t believe it when he played “i’m a Believer”. He later told me he has every single Monkees album :wink: ( I used to, but I think my brother did something with them.)</p>

<p>[Musicians</a> create sense of community at ‘Hootenanny for Healthy Gulf’](<a href=“http://www.genestout.com/index.php/local-musicians-create-a-sense-of-community-at-hootenanny-for-a-healthy-gulf/]Musicians”>Musicians create sense of community at ‘Hootenanny for Healthy Gulf’ – Gene Stout – Music Reviews, Music News, Concert Information)</p>

<p>( I’ll have to tell Rick they are touring this summer!)
[url=&lt;a href=“http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/monkees-alert/message/532]monkees.net[/url”&gt;http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/monkees-alert/message/532]monkees.net[/url</a>]</p>

<p>I was taught to twist by Paul Dennert, drummer for the band the Rivieras, who had one hit “California Sun” in the 1964. His parents had a lake cottage next door to ours and he and the band used to hang out there.</p>

<p>I had two angry customers call me an a**hole on the same day on the telephone. After the second one called me the name I barely heard his rants. I was too busy thinking about what were the odds of my getting called this not once but twice within hours of each other. In both cases the customer had flipped out over something trivial and out of my control. That was my new nickname at work for awhile.</p>

<p>My kids’ first concert was the Monkees, sans Nesmith, at the county fair. They didn’t really get it, but all the moms did.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>My younger brother had Mr Wilson as a middle school English teacher. Mr Wilson played some of his daughter’s demo tapes on occasion. Bro loved him as a teacher, thought it was fun later as the girl’s band became popular.</p>

<p>My kids’ first concert was when I took them to American Idol Season 3 Tour. It wasn’t as cool as Springsteen or Jagger or the Eagles or Fleetwood Mac or even the Monkees or Bobby Sherman, but my d was and still is absolutely convinced that George Huff was singing directly to her in the balcony. And there were no hallucinagens involved. I think.</p>

<p>^^^ TonyK: That is FUNNY! :D</p>

<p>hope bragging here about my son’s phd acceptances is ok- he’s in at both Stanford and Cal Tech and will be going to Cal Tech.</p>

<p>^^</p>

<p>Congratulations! How exciting.</p>

<p>Since so many of you are bragging about your Monkees experiences, I have to tell you that the very first “celebrity” autographs I ever got were from Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart, the Monkee’s songwriters. They had a couple of songs of their own on the radio but nothing that was ever too popular. But I was on a flight to NY once with my mom and heard some buzz about then being on board so I got their autographs hoping to impress my friends. </p>

<p>No dice – no one had ever heard of them but me. :(</p>

<p>Menlo,
Congrats to Menlo son! What dept?</p>

<p>I don’t have real brags to share, but I’m happy son tried skiing in Maine. He found it exhiliarating</p>

<p>I answered the Final Jeopardy question last night and all the contestants got it wrong.</p>

<p>No dice – no one had ever heard of them but me</p>

<p>You must have read Tiger Beat magazine.
:)</p>