The BS Class of 2016 Thread

@ Optimyst Chimneykid did not get into her top choice sadly (a far reach which falls into the “its-an-honor-just-to-have-been deferred” category for her, but she has solid choices and many more schools still in play so it’s all good. Lots of talk of"Tufts Syndrome"* on the college threads which may just be sour grapes, but it tells me 2 things. 1) Demonstrate interest early and often. 2) Look for even more schools to offer ED, EDII, early deadlines for merit scholarships, extra essays for honors etc. as colleges try very hard to determine which students are most likely to attend in a sea of equally qualified applicants.

*Tufts is notorious for rejecting high stat applicants that they feel did not demonstrate a lot of interest and are also likely to be accepted at Ivy-level schools in order to protect their yield. This has now been dubbed “Tufts Syndrome.”

Good luck this week to all those waiting on decisions! The feeling of getting somewhere and life pushing onward is palpable now – even graduation day is registering – so in a week we’re all sure to be stepping sprightly. Sunny days! ~O)

Friendlydaughter left yesterday to return to school from vacation for the last time. The difference is palpable. The idea of her going to college next year feels very different than BS, even though both are away. I’m tremendously excited about what’s ahead of her, and also unbelievably emotional and proud of her. Just seeing her try on her graduation dress in the store set me off in tears! I don’t know how I’m going to make it until June.

Hugs to @friendlymom - I feel your pain! Chimneykid has little interest in dress shopping and picked her graduation dress out in about 10 seconds (I bought her prom dress for her and she was just glad she didn’t have to bother with it!). She said something wistful when she left after break like “Next time I come home I will be a college student.” I am also wondering how many of my husband’s hankies it will take to see me through the ceremony! So proud of her but I will miss her current school too.

Since most if not all of this year’s class already have choices, I think it’s safe to share this new Frank Bruni piece from the NYTimes:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/30/opinion/college-admissions-shocker.html?smprod=nytcore-ipad&smid=nytcore-ipad-share&_r=1

If they can have all 195 million kids (17 AND 18 year olds, if we assume 2.66% of total population) in the world automatically apply to Stanford and accept 2,000 of them, the acceptance rate will be 0.0010 percent.
(No NEED to apply, we will just pick you. anyone in the world.)

There is hope, as long as they accept students, the acceptance rate cannot go below MILLI Percent. Much bigger chance than Micro percent or Nano percent. :))

• Next Article: Acceptance rate will be measured from now on in PPM, parts/persons per million. *

We have choices but what a long, strange trip its been this year. How is everyone holding up?

According to Huffpost, some people thought the Bruni piece was real. Time to rescind a few of those Stanford acceptances? http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/stanford-admissions-new-york-times_us_56fbe83ce4b083f5c60623c0

It seems the wooing of accepted applicants has begun!

http://www.northeastern.edu/news/2016/04/incoming-students-to-receive-their-own-husky-puppy/

@chemmchimney I was just blown away by the audacity of such wooing . . . You did scroll all the way to the bottom, did you not?!!?

In case you did not…April Fool’s. :slight_smile:

I again misread it as Northwestern and why are the prospects not receiving wildcat cubs instead :))
I suppose DS would be allergic to wildcats (to lions and tigers as well, I imagine, although we haven’t tried petting any of them.)

Northwestern may not be handing out puppies but they did truck in miniature therapy horses for reading period. :-B

Does anybody send ACT/SAT scores to colleges by registering to do so for free the week after the administration? Assumption is that the scores are fine and that the receiving schools are visited and high up on the apply-to list at end of junior year. Thanks, and am double posting on this query.

We never did. My kids were never good at guessing how they did and for the little extra $ we preferred to keep the option open until scores were know. The whole process is just one more reason why I have a strong dislike for standardized testing. :slight_smile:

We did not send until we saw scores. We waited and paid as well.

So, with decisions all in, any reports/thoughts on how this application was for your child and/or school? Any surprises, insights?

The only true surprise for us is that Chimneykid can’t decide which university to choose. She has 4 still in the running and she is busy revisiting. She was deferred then denied at her Ed far reach and other far reaches (acceptance rates under 10%, 1 Ivy) accepted at most of her match or stretch schools (acceptance rates in the 20%s) and given a very good scholarship at a safety. It was a wacky admissions year but in the end most of her friends are happy with their options.

My advice for parents of juniors would be as soon as you have a list, check application deadlines. Many schools are requiring RD applications to be submitted much earlier - closer to ED- in order to qualify for merit money. Even if you don’t feel your child will be in the running for honors or scholarships, submitting early and doing the extra supplements is also a sign of interest.

Friendlydaughter was admitted ED so the process ended early for us. Nevertheless, now that everyone knows their results she feels much more able to get excited about next year. Some of her close friends didn’t get in ED or EA and they were very disappointed and stressed about it. Like everything else in boarding school, these feelings were exacerbated and highlighted by 24/7 togetherness.

I’m absolutely thrilled by friendlydaughter’s choice and think the school is a fantastic fit for her. It’s not an Ivy and I’m very sorry to report that some of her classmates have made negative comments about that. I’m not going to make any excuses or explanations about where she’s landed because it’s patently ridiculous to have to defend a highly-regarded school full of smart, passionate young adults with an admission rate of under 15%! I’m very proud of friendlydaughter for following her heart rather than the lure of the ivies.

I asked friendlydaughter if she has any regrets about going for ED and she said that there is one other school (also not an Ivy) that’s a little bit of a “what if” for her. However, the advantages for her of not going through RD were huge. Although ED worked out very well in our case, I don’t think it’s such a great thing overall and I don’t like what a huge role it’s taken in the admissions scene. In the end I think it’s best for kids to pick a school based on their true options of admissions, instead of strategizing about where they have the best chance of getting a spot in the early round to secure a place before the admission pool gets huge. ED is hugely advantageous for colleges, but not nearly as much so for students.

School hasn’t yet published anything about admissions results because students are still deciding where to matriculate, but friendlydaughter’s anecdata makes it sound like it was a pretty typical year of generally happy results.

When your daughter wants to fly half way across the country to revisit a college because she is worried it may be too much of a party school for her…and she books our revisit for the same day as their spring fling. :open_mouth: