The Class of 2024 -- Sharing, venting, discussing! MT

@Loganator

I would definitely encourage your d to reach out and ask about decisions and if they have all gone out. We’ve had good communication from Missouri State. Fingers crossed for a good news!

For anyone applying to NW, I just checked and it does look like those decisions are rolling out. Good vibes, fingers crossed to all!

Yay! My daughter got in to Northwestern! I guess we’re going to have to do some more research because we weren’t counting on this. I do know about their MT certificate program and auditioning after first quarter as a freshman. So much to consider, but thankful we have options.

@GeddyMcNutty - About SUNY Fredonia -My D was until they canceled, any news yet on how they will proceed with auditions? We heard from Wright last weekend - WL for MT.

Does anyone know if BFA programs let you defer for a year? I’m sure it depends on the college or maybe the situation. Does this crazy corona virus count because I would have never thought my son would do a gap year unless he had a terrible audition outcome, but he didn’t really… But between being upset about missing all his senior activities and now not being able to tour the colleges to help make a decision, he’s just completely overwhelmed. And he’s still processing the results as to him they didn’t turn out as well as he hoped.
He applied to 12 Schools (Academically accepted to all their BA programs, and 2 have a MT minor, but he really wants a BFA program). Didn’t pass a couple of prescreens, had 8 auditions. Accepted to 2 BFA acting and WL, 2 BFA MT. I’m hoping he can figure this out and feel like one of these choices is a good fit (esp. if he video chats with the Directors and/or students) but it would be nice to know if deferring is any option.

@chipmunkmom My daughter is a BFA MT at SEMO. Feel free to message me if you want to hear about her negative experience.

Has there been any movement on the Marymount waitlist? I’ve seen several people here report they have released their spots. Has anyone come off the waitlist yet?

I don’t have the answer for Marymount Manhattan. However, two things:

1. Most schools accept more students than spots available in the class, in order to yield the number of students they want to enroll. They know that not everyone will take the offer as most have more than one offer. Thus, just because someone has released their spot, it doesn’t follow that someone is going to be taken off the wait list.

2. Most wait list movement happens after May 1, the National Reply Date (which is being pushed later by SOME schools this year due to the current situation). A school can’t go to the wait list until they see if they have filled their class or not after all the admitted students reply to them and they see how many are choosing to enroll (and again, they admitted more than the number they want to yield). So, most wait list activity is at least a month away.

Hope that helps as a general answer, not specific to this school.

We are going to release a Marymount spot today.

Agree with the sentiments about ‘prestige’ vs. where you see ‘fit.’ For most of the schools on these lists, the differences in training quality and opportunities afforded are likely negligible (outside of the top 3 or so). In a few years, all our kids will be together again…standing in line to audition for the part of ‘Maiden #5’ in an off off Broadway production being held in a converted attic in Hoboken

@StanfordAI2019 always the source of true humor :slight_smile:

@StanfordAI2019 You forgot to add, after working a shift at their restaurant job.

@Shel325 I think there will be a lot of people taking gap years this year.
Not getting a “yes” from a program/school where you see yourself for the next four years is a very good reason.
This year there is the additional fact that it’s next to impossible to choose these programs without live visits.
I was actually thinking about how sad this is even for kids that got into their dream schools. I’m starting to wish my daughter could defer for a year because universities will most likely start school in the fall online and not in person. I seriously doubt that colleges will close so that means that kids will have to begin their college careers in their own bedrooms. What a horrible way to start college! Then if they do start in person we are going to have to make the gut wrenching decision to let our kids physically go to school with a novel virus that they would have a high chance of catching in the communal dorm environment. It all just stinks.
I think if ever there were a yer for a gap year, this is it.

@SingerDancerMom I agree that you will see more gap years as you noted & for the reasons you noted…I do NOT think the fall schedules will be impacted. I know a prominent major institution hospital that is going to allow their surgeons to book non emergent surgeries in all specialties on or about June 1st, the curve is close to flattening. I think August will be mostly normal. just my 2 cents but mildly informed

@NYYFanNowMTdad I guess time will tell but this virus is definitely still going to be around this fall and if history is any indication it will be worse then. We still don’t know if people who get it and survive are then immune. Without a vaccine we have to hope that that is the case and that increasing the number of immune people will help to slow the spread. No matter what, it’s super scary.

@SingerDancerMom agreed, if we are waiting for a vaccine, sadly that means a year from now…more people die from the flu every year, true theres a flu shot but that is for a specific strain so im not sure if covid existing in the fall forces continued closures, I sure hope not.

Has anyone had the opportunity to visit Hartt or talk with current students? It is one option we are considering but my son hasn’t had much luck connecting with anyone from the program.

A large deciding factor I am enforcing for my S on his choice is lowest cost of attendance. I know from experience with my oldest (a musician) that parental financial support of an artist realistically extends into year 5, 6, 7, 8 and beyond. We encouraged her to not take a gap year between degrees because age 26 and health care coverage are on the horizon. And now given the hit the economy will take from COVID prevention measures, every penny counts even more.

@prarie If it would let me, I would be hitting my “Real Talk” and “Same ” Bitmojis right now . Oh … AND the “Facts” one. Sooo glad I woke up to your post on my screen ( don’t judge - I work overnight ! ?) reaffirming expectations I set for my son a long time ago . Child of mine , you will go to the school that gives you the best package and has the lowest COA and THAT school will become your #1 and you will love it as if it’s been your #1 all along !! Thanks for reaffirming my unbendable position. ?

I’m just adding a comment bc I want to message someone but it won’t let me bc I guess I haven’t commented enough times ??‍♀️