The Class of 2024 -- Sharing, venting, discussing! MT

@onette sounds like the same situation at Emerson. We requested the academic reference a while ago, but the teachers were so slow. No problem with others. Good luck,

@MI3rdClosingAct Well, he had reached out about early last week to see if he was still under consideration or should close that book and he was told he definitely was and that the goal was to have decisions out by 4/1. I know some have been made (and were made prior to that), but we also know that it is a very, very small program and trying to get the right balance within such a small program is hard. He is trying to get his financial aid packages so he can make a decision and it is hard if he doesn’t have all the info yet! Sorry about your D.

I posted this on the Acting thread but thought I would post here too because it’s been brought up in conversation.

Our State Flagship University just announced that all summer classes will be online and that they will be making a decision about Fall term within a few weeks (I’m guessing by the end of April or the beginning of May because summer classes start in May).

A very satisfying piece of digital housekeeping: went through settings tab in browser and deleted bookmarks and passwords saved for portals of no longer active schools.

SAME!!!

Similar to @anastasiasmom the major university I work for, which does have an MT program, has (internally announced only thus far) decided to proceed with online only for summer school. But for now they are planning on Fall semester as business as usual, subject to adjust as needed. Unfortunately due to online for summer, at this time they are planning on virtual orientation for incoming freshmen which is not ideal.

I told my daughter over lunch that I will be taking over her BFA education for the rest of this term and homeschooling her. I have assembled my texts: Ballet for Dummies, Breaking into Acting for Dummies (both real titles), and the complete works of both Bette Midler and Ethel Merman on CD. Never mind that I have never acted, danced, or sung. How hard can it be?

@CanaDad - I guess those who can’t teach - lol :slight_smile:

@CanaDad – sounds like a good plan. A bit more comprehensive than my approach.

I told my D to follow a two step process:

1. Watch every Meryl Streep movie
  2. Do that

@CanaDad what you don’t know you can Youtube! Lol

@moosegirlemy2 I really love that program at IWU! It is a strong contender for D! :slight_smile:

@lilac30, I wrote a successful appeal letter two years ago when my daughter went through this. I just said that School A was her top choice, but we needed X amount of money to make it financially feasible. I also pointed out that School B did offer that amount of money, and asked if they could possibly match School B’s offer, and I enclosed the award letter from School B. They did match it, so we were able to afford it.

@StanfordAI2019 I just spit out my drink!

I think financial aid appeal depends on the university. 5 years ago my S was admitted to a tippy top program which was also very expensive. When I appealed, they looked at my other offers and said “those schools aren’t comparable to us” in a very we are better than them attitude. They did supply me with an appeal form that I completed and submitted. They then e-mailed back that no one gets what I was asking for and “suggesting” I resubmit at a lower number. I did and got an increased award but it was a small percentage of what we really needed to attend without massive student and parent loans.

@StanfordAI2019 I just plagiarized your “homeschool curriculum” and shared it with my daughters. They’re on board. Phew, that’s one thing off my list! :smiley:

@StanfordAI2019 can we change step 1 with DeNiro? if so Im in for my second career

I’m starting with a few warm up dance moves before I start my teaching. Right now it has a Baryshnikov-meets-Arbys feel but all great talent has to start somewhere. If any parents want to join in, in a few months I’ll host a talent show. The kids have the Jimmy’s; I’m calling mine the Jimmy Dean’s.

OK, all you funny and clever dads here…I expect you to write Covid, the Musical next.

@CanaDad I’m calling your bluff, we need video evidence of this ballet, sliced beef genius!

@user_752736 You have access to a portal with Missouri State? Where do you find that?