The Class of 2024 -- Sharing, venting, discussing! MT

Not an MT school, but the chancellor at UW-Madison has indicated they plan to have at least in person instruction this fall where class sizes are small. Online options would still be available to students at risk of infection. Larger lectures would be taken online. Since their classes are small, MT programs at schools that take this approach would most likely be allowed to hold in person classes in the Fall.

So am I the only to think that they should overhaul the “traditional” school year for the short future. Make the “summer” break happen during the winter…December, January, February and March. Let them work through the summer and avoid the traditional flu season. Might be an easy, temporary fix. It makes summer stock programs impossible but it might be a short term solution.

@TheatreDad69 Notre Dame announced something similar to that today.
they are opening 2 weeks early & having finals right before what would be Thanksgiving break, then they don’t return till the spring semester ( Jan 15th?). not exactly what you suggested but also Ithaca announced 10/5 starting fall semester, which I assume takes the school year into June of 2021- therefor a combination of those 2 ideas might work ( later start for Spring '21 semester) in executing what you suggested and still preserve most of the summer ( June 15-Aug 15 '21)??

@TheatreDad69 - many schools are moving in that direction, I think. It’s not “easy”, as schools (and many teachers) depend upon the income they make on campus in summer as well as the income from the school year. But I think the trend of ending in person instruction before Thanksgiving is a step in that direction. Ithaca seems to be an outlier moving their start date back rather than forward.

As another decision date of 6/1 is coming near, I hope to see another flux (a big one) of WL movements! All of my fingers are crossed for those who’ve been waiting! Hang in there!

Officially no Gap Year for us. D came off her top choice w/l school. After some serious thought (and hope that the school would roll out their reopening plan for Fall 2020), she decided to hope for the best in terms of campus opening and committed.

It’s a weird feeling to have this chapter closed!

@Sitzprobe very happy for you guys!! cant wait to hear the details

Congratulations @Sitzprobe ! Glad your d ended up where she wanted to be!!!

Yaaaay @Sitzprobe ! Wonderful to hear, congratulations!

That’s awesome @Sitzprobe; congratulations!

for NYU folks this should be of interest:

https://www-businessinsider-com-au.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.businessinsider.com.au/nyu-will-reopen-in-fall-2020-for-in-person-classes-2020-5/amp

Congratulations, @Sitzprobe ! You must be feeling great relief now that the wait is over. Thrilled for your D! I hope eventually she is comfortable allowing you to share some of the details in the final choice thread - we’d love to know where she landed!

Hey class of 2024! Would anyone be interested in “giving back” on an ongoing basis outside of College Confidential? We’re putting together a Facebook group to help with the nuts and bolts of the MT/Acting College Application process - not competing with this forum but creating a different repository of information and support. Facebook is not anonymous the way CC is, so it’s a very different platform for connecting with some pros and some cons. We have lots of parents from my daughter’s class (2022) but we need a few more recent parents who can contribute expertise on the common prescreen etc. Let me know if you’re interested via PM and we can talk more. Thanks!!!

@CaMom13 If there’s interest in having a Tech parent as a contributor, I’d be willing!

There also is a Facebook group for parents of COLLEGE graduates is there are any who fit that bill. Feel free to message me.

@CaMom13 I would help but im not on facebook, sorry

There is a FB group for primarily musical theater parents. MT Parents. You are welcome to join us. We do have a few tech parents in the group. We have almost 2k members and a lot of information to share.

Can anyone who went to the various Unifieds this year tell me if a speaker was required for any of the auditions? Thanks!

@camom13 Technically, I’m not a parent, but I will be happy to help! I have some other kids coming through in the next few years (my own son is a rising Senior). However, from taking a census, it seems that most of them have watched the two this year and have decided that maybe gap years are the way to go for them.

Thank you everyone! @onette - I will send a message!