The Class of 2024 -- Sharing, venting, discussing! MT

@CBSQandA – this is just one person’s opinion, but I absolutely don’t think your D should let not having an aria in her repertoire stop her from auditioning for OCU if she otherwise loves the program. The audition requirements don’t actually specify an aria – they state that you must prepare either a classical or an art song in any language. Art songs are often more suited to young/beginning singers of the classical style, and that is what my D’s coach advised she prepare. In addition, he suggested that one of her two MT songs she prepared be in the legit style, and to perform that song first in hopes that hearing her perform that song would be all the auditors needed to hear of her legit voice. My D auditioned this past weekend as well, did her legit golden age piece first, and then was asked to perform her belt piece, and that was it. She was prepared to perform her art song, but was relieved it wasn’t required.

One thing they will require for sure though is full songs – not cuts – which is different from most schools. Indeed, my D had to perform the full versions of both of her songs (and was prepared to do so), so your D should make sure she is comfortable and prepared to perform her pieces in full.

Just to echo what @NYYFanNowMTdad and @WDWMom said, our D loved OCU and agrees with the sentiments they already expressed. She feels she would be very fortunate indeed if she were to be accepted.

@toystorymom wrote:

You are not leaving the admissions department hanging. Whether your D applied for MT or any other field, as long as it wasn’t Early Decision, she has until May 1, the National Reply Date, to respond to ALL of her colleges. There is no need to reply sooner, unless she has decided where to attend before May 1. She can keep her options open until required to reply. Her spot will not be taken away if she waits until May 1 to reply.

Revisiting the discussion about Combines, last year a parent hired a line sitter to wait in the line. I remember this only because before the post about it, I had no idea that there are professional line sitters.

Thanks soozievt & others–Sounds like the guidance counselor was right in this case! :wink:
We’ll just wait to reply then until all auditions/acceptances are in!

This is true, although some schools will do EVERYTHING they can to get you to commit early. One school I spoke to has a competitive scholarship acceptance deadline that is BEFORE we will likely hear on admission to their program. I called and asked about that, and the response I got was, “Well, that scholarship is only for students who KNOW they want to come here, whether or not they get into a particular program.” They also stated that their plan this year is to require finalists who they interview on campus for this scholarship to have their housing contract in place before they will be allowed to interview for the scholarship.

We kind of decided maybe D wouldn’t go out for that scholarship after all…

Question about combines: does this mean a student can audition live (if they get a spot) for a program that they did not pass in the prescreen round?

If anyone is willing to share their Baldwin Wallace Audition experiences… we would appreciate hearing anything you can share. D has her first in-person college Audition this weekend. We’ve watched all the videos. Read all the articles. LOL. Would love to get any info or vibes from folks who have joined us in this year’s audition season. And thanks for your bravery to share your journey. We will reciprocate. ?

@WDWMom , you wrote:

Yes, some schools try to pressure students to commit early, but know your rights, as you don’t have to. I recall when my D had an acceptance to a well known BFA in MT program, we got a call asking if she was going to accept her scholarship (as opposed to asking if she was going to attend…um, clever, ha!), and I simply said that to accept the scholarship is akin to committing to attend, and she would be letting them know by the National Reply Date, May 1, as she had not yet heard from all her schools.

Please know your rights. The National Association for College Admissions Counseling’s Code of Ethics and Professional Practices states:

@soozievt

So if your s/d receives a scholarship that requires a signature (not a merit scholarship that is automatic) and he/she signs that scholarship document then that would constitute a student’s acceptance to that program?

I just want to make sure I understand correctly. So many moving parts and so frustrating. ? Ughhh … I am going to have to go read up on all of this.

@BlessedNStressed we went last Saturday. Loved it!! My son said it was a fantastic audition experience and it was a great start for him on this journey! You park in the athletic center parking lot and they shuttle you over to the conservatory. You check in and all majors gather in the auditorium for an introduction to the school and programs. They then take the students to their auditions and the parents are given a schedule for Q&A, Financial Aid, Lunch, Tours and then at the end prior to the dance call you come back to the auditorium and sit in on a master class they have for the students auditioning.
For the audition, they are given their schedule at check in. Mine had his monologue first. He was given a private practice room to warm up for 10 minutes or so and then he did his vocals. You give them your 3 song choices and they pick 2 they want to hear. The accompanist was very nice. They did not interview him. He then had lunch and the afternoon master class. After that, they took all the MT students for the dance call. It was a jazz combo and lasted about 1.5 hours. After that we were invited in and the dance teacher answered any questions. That ended the day.
BAL to your daughter. Tell her to not stress, they are VERY kind and accepting and when they tell you BW is a family atmosphere, they mean it!!

Yes…DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING! You have until May 1st for everything. ANYTHING that shows a commitment will be taken as such. Do not reserve housing…nothing.

@anastasiasmom asked:

I’m sorry that I don’t fully understand your question. The question makes more sense to me if at the end if you meant to ask if the student accepts a scholarship, does that mean the student accepts the OFFER of admissions? Well, if that is what you meant, surely accepting a scholarship implies you intend to attend. But the student is not required to accept a scholarship OR offer of admissions until May 1.

But if you meant exactly the way you wrote the question, if signing a scholarship offer constitutes a student’s acceptance to that program…they are not going to offer a scholarship unless you are accepted. They may offer an academic scholarship, but that doesn’t mean the student is accepted to the BFA program.

@soozievt

I was referring to a talent scholarship offered to a student who has been accepted to a BFA program. I apologize if I wasn’t clear, which looking back I wasn’t.

So theoretically, say my D had an acceptance to a BFA program and she was sent a letter that said they were offering her a talent scholarship but that the scholarship needed to be accepted (signed) by December 1st or it would be given to someone else. If she signed the letter, then would that be a legal acceptance on her part to that BFA program? I’m trying to understand the legal aspect of this and what this all means. And thank you in advance for all of the information you have been providing! It is very much appreciated!

@anastasiamom I knew you were talking about a talent scholarship. The confusion is your use of the word “acceptance” as that is the term used for what a college offers. Your daughter isn’t giving an “acceptance.” If she signs something, she is committing to enroll and matriculate at that college.

If she is offered a talent scholarship, the college cannot make her commit to enroll or commit to a scholarship offer until May 1, as I posted the NACAC’s Code of Ethics and Professional Practices. If your child is pressured to commit to a scholarship or offer of admission prior to May 1 (exception ED offers), you should point to this rule in communication with the college. The college knows it and should comply and may be betting that you don’t know it. The college could be reported to NACAC for breaking this rule.

PS, you used the word “legal,” and I am not a lawyer and cannot attest to the legal ramifications. I’m giving you the guidelines and rules that colleges are supposed to adhere to and are part of an “agreement” so to speak, in the college community…and I quoted the relevant rule to you in this thread.

Thank you @soozievt - you answered my question and I realized after I posted that I probably should not have put the word legal in there. Maybe a little bit of panic set in when I read the posts and I, again, was not as clear as I should have been when reaching out to understand the issue.

FYI - I contacted Michigan because we had not heard anything. We submitted 11/1 and I know some have already heard yes/no… so, I emailed and asked. I was told they are still reviewing and are planning to have all submissions for prescreens done by the end of December.

We had a requested a 1/17/20 audition date, so that is really close. Was hoping to know sooner than later so I can buy the airplane tickets earlier to save money. Crossing fingers.

Thanks for the Michigan info @chenggang. We submitted 11/1 too. Hoping it won’t be the end of December. I always thought I was a pretty patient person but this process is bringing out the worst in me I guess.

soozievt–Thanks again for all the very clear info & for including the NACAC rules. Some schools do seem to make it appear that you should accept their scholarship offer sooner, including a form to sign, etc. I’m glad to know that we can wait until May 1 for both parts of the offer. Much appreciated!

@anastasiasmom In our experience the talent scholarships were listed in the acceptance letters and there was no additional requirement to accept the scholarships separately, only a decision to be made about committing to the school by May 1. Also talent scholarships automatically show in “accepted” status in the financial aid package as they figure you would not decline them, unlike loans and work-study aid.

@soozievt and @anastasiasmom last year, my son was accepted to, and offered a scholarship to, one of his schools, which would have given us in-state tuition in addition to the scholarship. The scholarship had to be accepted by a date in very early April (no pressure to commit to the college until May 1st). We contacted the department to point out that he hadn’t yet made his school decision and wouldn’t be making it before the scholarship acceptance deadline (due to plans to visit the schools he’d been accepted to during his April school break) and were told that he would have to forfeit the scholarship then. This left a bad taste in my mouth and, for additional reasons other than the scholarship deadline, my son went with another school. I had no idea that NACAC had any rules about the pressure to sign for a scholarship early, and this is my third rodeo. I only knew about the solid May 1st date for college decisions. Although, in hindsight, if they had been flexible with that scholarship date, it would have been a very hard decision, financially, to turn that state school down, and the school he chose has been better than he’d ever imagined it could have been, so blessing in disguise, maybe?