The Class of 2024 -- Sharing, venting, discussing! MT

@depejohnson I think you only do one or the other - you wouldn’t need to audition twice for the same school -

@depejohnson

@DramaLove2020 is spot on. Any program only wants to see you once. On campus is usually a better bet if you haven’t ever visited. But you need to pick one and then cancel the other. They do not want or need to see you twice.

@Jasklo Break a Leg!

@Jasklo BAL…I think the kids actually enjoy the auditions, mine did /does & they get ore comfortable as they do more and more

For any of you 2025 types lurking out there, NOW is the time to look at audition coaches if you haven’t already. In addition to the prep work and guidance a coach will do with you and your kid, you may also gain entree to an early season ‘private’ unified audition such as Moonifieds or CAP21. We found our experience to be entirely worthwhile just for that opportunity. YMMV.

RE: Walk in/Audition Fees…I think last year S only had 2 (out of about 10) walkin schools that requested payment…I can’t recall if we paid cash or check for one…(nominal fee of like $10…can’t recall exactly), and I believe the other we paid by card. Then afterwards we submitted apps/fees for those schools that S was still interested in.

@MTisNutz great advice. Not necessarily with a coach, but had D to do it over again, she absolutely would’ve done fewer shows Winter/Spring and started the vetting and selection process for her audition material in January.

@depejohnson Whether one does auditions on campus or at a regional event seems to subjective. D only has 2-3 on campus auditions scheduled and the rest are regional auditions. Her feeling is this process is hard enough without the added heart break of envisioning herself someplace only to receive a NO. Along that logic, we have also only done 2 college tours. 1 was the non-audition safety and the other her early Artistic Acceptance.

@Jasklo- BAL! What I’ve heard works for parents for their nerves- bring a book or headphones so you drown out any potential chaotic energy around you leading up to and while your S or D is in the room. My D is very sensitive to the emotions of others around her, especially mine. For years I have tried to take some “me time” to get in a calm state before I interact with her on an audition day.

@MTisNutz What is the private unified audition of “CAP21”? Is it just for Molloy and no other school?

I have a question on the music sheets. Should we have duplex prints or single sided prints?

@Jenny1993 the music should always be printed double-sided

@Twelfthman CAP is an off shoot of the moonified people associated w Dave Clemmons & Others, we looked into it, great schools we were just nervous about doing some of her favs so early on the other hand in hindsight I think she would have fared better with live pre screens than the videos we sent in, so its really a coin toss IMHO. not sure if it will allow a posted link, if not feel free to PM me

http://capunitedauditions.com/about-us/

@Twelfthman @NYYFanNowMTdad I had two kids do CAP this year and highly recommend it! It did not lead to a lot of offers (two each for each of the kids) before Christmas, nor did it eliminate the need to go to Unifieds, but it was money well spent. They each got a healthy amount of callbacks. Interestingly, they had NTDA auditions in north Texas five days later and got callbacks there they saw at CAP but did not get called back for there! Additionally, they each got called back for CCM because of the video that was shot at CAP. Several schools that didn’t call them back at CAP, saw different material at the NTDA audition and that pushed them over from the “maybe” to “yes, we want to see them!” decisions. At NTDA (which was a horribly compressed callback situation), they got several offers as well. And that was simply from an interview. I think both of these kids pull off a live prescreen better than video, so I honestly believe that had a lot to do with it. But getting to be in front of schools more than once isn’t a bad thing. High recommend Hollie and Camiah at College Audition Project. They are so nurturing and supportive of the kids all throughout the process. It was evident onsite, very much!

@PNWdrama My daughters have been advised to single side print, then put them back to back and tape all the way down the edges so that the music appears double sided. They do this to make it easier to turn for the accompanist. We’ve done that for years on the advice of Broadway industry. I understand, however, that some accompanists are now okay with sheet protectors as long as they are NO glare (I think that can be special ordered??) but we’re going old school with tape.

We have always done double sided printing and lined all the corners and middle w scotch tape. Makes it easier to turn, protects the pages, and keeps your folder lighter w less pages.

As for the page protectors… in professional auditions they are not used or recommended to be used, so I would guess not a good idea for college either.

@SingerDancerMom That’s interesting. I guess it just comes down to preference. My D also works with Broadway industry professionals and has been told the opposite. At the end of the day, it’s double sided regardless of how you get there and I think the overall tip is to make page turning as easy as possible for the accompanist!

It varies by school. Otterbein is a big no on this one. My hubby is a pianist, and he really likes the non-glare ones. I would read the school requirements carefully, and if they don’t say, just do what you prefer.

@PNWdramaPNWdrama, @HAHCx4, @SingerDancerMomSingerDancerMom, Thank you!

@MTisNutz Parent of 2025 student here and yes, I have been lurking. I know that having a coach is preferable but what does one do if we just simply can’t afford it. Are we then at a disadvantage :frowning:

Question for those who have been to Pace auditions: my D is an intermediate tapper and is just wondering what the tap portion of the audition is like? Are students expected to know what a step is by name alone, or will there be a combo taught? Or something else? TIA for your advice.

@iowamtmom we have a family friend from a rural area whose daughter received multiple offers at some very competitive schools last year with no coaching. Her high school teachers and parents were her guides and she did just fine. That said, there are some great books available on the subject, you might be able to find them at your library. Our coach Chelsea Diehl wrote an excellent book called “Before the College Audition: A guide for creating your list of acting and musical theatre undergraduate programs.” Best of luck!

@iowamtmom We are not using a coach, but my D has only applied to one audition program and one that had an optional video supplement. I have been learning a lot on CC and have read through as many posts as possible that have tips and tricks as well as other internet research. When I tell my D something I have learned, she usually already is aware of it, I guess from being in shows both at school and in the community. My biggest desire that a coach would fulfill is having an outside opinion when picking songs and monologues. Of course, I think my D is talented but it is always great to have someone else involved who is not a family member. She may be at a disadvantage but I think when it comes down to it, being prepared and being talented is what shows. The cost was just not in the budget. Perhaps if she was doing the 10-20 auditions that most are doing, we would have made it work.