The Class of 2024 -- Sharing, venting, discussing! MT

@GeddyMcNutty I’m pretty sure it’s because the state legislature was an early investor in supporting the arts, creating the state Arts Council in 1965.

https://www.oac.ohio.gov/aboutthecouncil

A fun fact I learned throughout sending 2 kids to Ohio schools from Michigan (one to grad school) is that Ohio has more universities than any other state… so it stands to reason that they also have the most MT programs!

Ohio, until recently, had the most universities *per capita/i. I believe the top ones by raw count are: California, New York , Pennsylvania, and Texas. I think whatever order you come up with will depend on which type of schools you are including. Ohio is actually 7th according to one source:

California 1246
New York 632
Pennsylvania 544
Texas 506
Florida 439
Illinois 391
Ohio 386

Next question:) Which programs have the newest, shiniest performance facilities? Did I read that Ball State will open something new in 2020?

@GeddyMcNutty
The new Pittsburgh Playhouse at Point Park was opened this past fall of 2018. It looks lovely online. My D and I went to a production at WestConn last fall and their facility is very new and sparkly as well. While not new, we thought Emerson’s theater was really gorgeous.

Molloy/CAP21 has beautiful new Manhattan studios that opened in spring of 2018 plus a professional, lovely theatre on the Molloy campus where they kids can audition for professional gigs (and get paid!) starting Sophomore year as well as a second smaller on-campus theatre.

@GeddyMcNutty and @NYart15, I was just at PPU this weekend, and my daughter gave me a tour of the new Playhouse. Wow. Just wow. Amazing facility. Three theaters, rehearsal spaces, and the costume and set shops were incredible. Got to see her perform in one of the smaller performance spaces where they were also doing the spring show History Boys. I also live in CT and have been to WestConn’s fairly new space, which I believe was an $8 million investment. Great facilities there, too.

SUNY Fredonia has a beautifully renovated performing arts center that opened in 2016 or 2017. My son started in 2017. I believe the total investment was over $40 million all told.

I think Fredonia and WestConn will definitely be added to the list!

How do you go about declining offers? Should we be writing personal letters to the head of program?

@32barMom My S sent the dep’t head an email (& often cc’d admissions or someone else). The emails themselves were varied in details that he was comfortable in providing…some were thanks, but no thanks, and others were a bit more personal with more info, such as selected school.

My son sent thank you but no thank emails to the two schools he decided against. We never heard from one of them again but the other sent a nice note, from the admissions director, saying that if he decided to transfer there to contact her and they would work with him. He changed from the BFA in theater tech and production to a general theater BA and thought about transferring, but decided he liked Fredonia enough to stay. However, he can now graduate after three years, which he is going to do.

going to the AMDA summer conservatory this summer

Not new to College Confidential (had a D who graduated HS in 2006), and now have a D who will be College Class of 2024. Have been reading these threads for the past few years for info and tips about navigating the MT audition process. Looking foward to sharing this journey with all of you.

Welcome @flippedout

@NYYFanNowMTdad Thank you!

ok let the craziness begin…Ball state has posted their 2019-2020 audition dates on their website…not sure i can post a link here

No!!! It’s too early to be that real!

For those interested…Mid-Atlantic Regional Auditions (MARCAS) is on Sunday, 11/3, held at Rowan U in Glassboro, NJ…Registration is open until 10/26 and it’s about $30. No schools currently listed as ‘attending’, but I’d say there were about 30-35 schools there last year.

@lithpool These schools attended MARCAS last year:

Arcadia University, Averett University, Centenary University, Coker College, DeSales University, East Carolina University, Elizabethtown College, Emory & Henry College, Fairleigh Dickinson University, Ferrum College, Florida Southern College, Greensboro College, Indiana University of Pennsylvania, Juniata College, Kean University, Long Island University Post, Manhattan School of Music, Montclair State University, Niagara University, Rowan University, Savannah College of Art & Design, Slippery Rock University, Southern Methodist University, Stevenson University, Studio School LA, Temple University, University of Tampa, University of West Florida, West Virginia University, Wilkes University and York Theatre Company Training Program.