The Class of 2024 -- Sharing, venting, discussing! MT

Hey all, just wondering… has anyone received a UNCSA “priority call” yet? I know that UNCSA has done these calls in the past. Wondering if they’ve been sent out yet

@justavery Congrats on your decision!! I spent my first two years pre-med, and decided I would simply die if I did not give MT a shot, so I did. I have worked in theatre for 25 years. I am so glad I switched!?

As far as as dancing, I really don’t think (with the exception of a few programs) dancing is such a big deal. My D has danced for 16 years, but every call back she goes to she is in a room with a LOT of kids who don’t dance…they are getting into the same callbacks she is.

Your pre-screen results are great, so you must be pretty talented! I will say, being a boy dancer is like having a golden ticket, but schools don’t seem to care as much for girls. At least, this seems to be my D’s experience. She is a triple threat, but she is a soprano. She got cut from a LOT of pre-screen schools, including many that you passed. Belting is the thing all the schools seem to want. If you have that, you’re good!

I cannot wait to here where you land!?

Marymount

@rickle1 Thanks for sharing this info. We’re looking for one or two schools it might be worth it to do on campus auditions next year, in addition to one Unifieds. Sounds like you guys were glad you went to UNCSA! Did they do callbacks at the on campus auditions like they started doing at Unifieds this year?

@SoMuchDrama They did not do call backs on campus. Their agenda specifically stated “No call backs on campus”. D got to do three monologues and one song, had a brief interview, etc.

Thank you, @rickle1 Fingers crossed for your D!!

@BrennaK@NeensMom@AnxiousNovice
Thank you for your response on my Pace question!

@AnxiousNovice when we toured Northwestern last year they said that they took the first 150 MT majors with an academic admit (then spring of freshman year those 150 audition for the MT certificate program). My D was strongly encouraged by her HS director to apply ED to increase her chances of being one of the first 150. However, financially, ED was not an option, so she applied regular admit and sent in her MT “stuff” (resume, prescreen videos, etc) as part of the supplemental materials. So, we’ll see what happens.

Does anyone know anything about UNC Greensboro ? I know it’s an Acting BFA with a MT concentration and I’m curious how that looks ?

@DramaLove2020 UNC Greensboro has a new BFA MT program. The first class of BFA MT are current freshmen.

@DramaLove2020

The new BFA MT program at UNC Greensboro takes 4 to 6 students a year right now. There are 4 students in the current MT program. The faculty seems wonderful. Lots of connections. I believe one of the faculty is currently in London helping to open a show there. The students were nice. The faculty mentioned that they are looking for potential and not necessarily a polished performer.

Between the MT and Acting programs they make about 20 acceptance offers. They are not in a position of hiring extra faculty to handle more kids. So they go to the waitlist if someone declines. Acting has about 14 to 16 students.

And they do have an MT minor available - but it is by audition with only 4 students taken into the minor per year. Anyone who goes to school there can audition for the MT minor.

@anastasiasmom what is the culture of the school like? Campus feel etc? Some of the schools I am considering at this point are so very different - I can’t seem to find a happy medium

Does Montclair send academic and artistic decisions at the same time? My daughter’s portal says her application has been complete since early January but we haven’t heard anything. She emailed the admissions department a week ago but they still haven’t responded.

@NeensMom S was accepted into Montclair academically separately from any artistic acceptance. I think it was in his portal. Hope this helps.

Same situation here @NeensMom . Was wondering the exact same thing.

@tsamuique I always heard Montclair sent early academic admissions and were late with artistic decisions. Aren’t they the school that sends socks to admitted students? Whare are my socks? LOL

@SingerDancerMom Did you also email admissions asking about it and get no response?

We got our academic acceptance from Montclair in November but we applied early at the end of September!

@NeensMom We did not get socks either - but S cancelled his audition and withdrew from process, so maybe not sock-worthy! LOL!

My son did not get Montclair socks and only got an academic acceptance in late March even though he completed the application in the fall. It was also the very last artistic decision he received. We were really looking forward to those socks, lol!

Nebraska Wesleyan sends socks…in case anyone is looking to add to a sock collection, LOL!!