The Class of 2025 -- Sharing, Venting, Discussing! MT

Thank you so much! I will definitely let you know and reach out with any questions I have!:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Allā€“I am an MT mom that went through this a few year ago (S in class of '23) but still follow the boards as my Sā€™s friends go through the process. I just wanted to let anyone not sure about next year or considering a gap year to know about a program in Charlotte, NC, https://www.theatregap.org/. It is a nonprofit theatre training program for high school grads who are taking a gap year before applying for BFA programs. Its mission is to help students of color but anyone can apply and attend and host families are available for those not local to the area. DM me if questions or check out the link! An impressive advisory board with educators and broadway professionals.

9 Likes

(Pace) Yes, my son was accepted into Paceā€™s MT program. Sorry for the slow response. I took a few days off of college confidential and just saw your question tonight.

deleted.

Sorry I didnā€™t respond! I somehow didnā€™t get notifications. Molloy has pushed past BoCo now, which I am glad about. She had an excellent meeting with Rebecca (head of recruitment) who seemed very positive about her chances of getting in, though of course couldnā€™t guarantee anything. I think it finally came through to her that, while she would surely love an acting program, sheā€™d be giving up other things she really loves not doing MT. There has been no response yet from the financial aid appeal at BoCo, and Iā€™m not expecting much, if anything, she is finally understanding that BoCo will probably not be an option.

I am not sure what she will do come May 1st if she hasnā€™t heard from Molloy yet. My guess is she will put the deposit down at Emerson and have to forfeit it if the call comes from Molloy. If she got off of MMMā€™s list, sheā€™d consider it then. As of now it feels a bit big and overwhelming to her.

2 Likes

If 2nd favorite is a good scholarship, hopefully that will start looking more enticing. You might have luck with Emerson FA when your kid gets in, though. They are an expensive school, but when all was added up they came in competitive with a lot of the other acceptances. I know BoCo CT program is super interesting and exciting, but MAN is it pricey! And I just donā€™t feel there is a lot of concrete information out there about it.

How did I miss all these notifications?! Sorry! Wagner is a great choice! I think my D likes Molloy for similar reasons- the small, safe, cozy campus on LI and the beautiful conservatory in the city. It actually really is the perfect fit for a lot of reasons. Not having to give up her passion for singing (plus getting a lot of much needed dance) is what finally put Molloy over the top. Itā€™s been so long since sheā€™s performed on stage doing a musical- everything sheā€™s done has been either devised or scripted plays over zoom. Theyā€™ve been great, but I think she needed some reminding of all theatre will be again when this is over.

Well we are narrowing it down. Still waiting on a waitlist, but also comparing Rider and BOCO. Anyone with thoughts about the two? Not factoring in money, because they come in at a very similar price for us. I know itā€™s a city versus and campus and bigger numbers at BOCO (but divided into cohorts). Anyone with any other perspectives for comparison. This is so hard!

Waaaaaa! Where is everyone? Only six days leftā€¦

4 Likes

aww sorry! i think ppl went over to final decisions or just plain collapsed!!

2 Likes

we would choose boco based on their very high representation on broadway. also make sure the aid is consistent across four years. but yeah does your son have a sense of which environment he prefers bc they are so different!!!

2 Likes

also whatā€™s your WL?

1 Like

@mythreelulus We would chose BOCO also for the representation on Broadway. Boston is a great town, easy city to manage, BOCO is located near theatre district with a strong MT program. For perspective, our BFA Acting decision narrowed down to the access and opportunities offered in New York and LA, along with a Study Abroad location that has long been my sons dream to study at, on top of an already outstanding Acting program. Even though my son had an acceptance in NYC, it did not come close to the opportunities at the university upstate. Look at what Rider and BOCO offer and what stands out more as to how your child wants to study and accomplish in their MT training. Maybe it is a study abroad location, summer program opportunities or stronger internships. Maybe it is just one finite opportunity over the other

1 Like

Thanks so much for replying-and you too @dharmawins! She liked the smaller numbers at Rider, and she likes more of a campus feel. She also really liked Robin during the audition process. But BOCO is BOCOā€¦and she knows that. She is leaning in that direction~she finally admitted that this morning. She was definitely interested in study abroad. But she is also adamant that she wants to go where she ā€œwill get the best trainingā€. She has said that since the beginning-nothing else will trump that.

1 Like

Anyone want to share thoughts in Manhattanville College over Long Island Post ?

Not sure I can add much except that for all my sonā€™s talk of not caring at all about the location or campus but going where the best training and opportunities are, I think as he narrows down his choices, it is definitely becoming more about what feels most like ā€œhomeā€ for him. Or maybe it isnā€™t so easy to define ā€œbest opportunitiesā€ etc. I really donā€™t know. This has been a long, crazy journeyā€¦ and a huge exercise in letting goā€¦ and trustingā€¦ while simultaneously hustling, researching, visiting schools at a frenetic paceā€¦ I am at the point that I am relieved my son is down to 4( one of which still hasnā€™t given him an aid packageā€¦). I think all 4 are wonderful programs, each with their pros and cons.

Thanks for this insight! We havenā€™t been able to visit any schools, so that is another facet that we are missing. I am finally happy with all of her choices left too! Canā€™t wait to hear where you son lands!

1 Like

Right back atchašŸ˜

I think it helps to visit the campus and talk to select students in the program if at all possible before selecting the school to attend. I realize this isnā€™t always a possibility but I would at least try to do it.

delete