The Class of 2026 – Sharing, Venting, Discussing! MT

COngrats!!!

1 Like

Congratulations to your daughter @Allie_Velasco1 !!! If I am remembering correctly, BOCO was her dream school, so that is wonderful news!

1 Like

Just a short vent from a tired mom.

Big disappointment from one callback school - callback was live audition on campus last weekend.
D had a negative home Covid test, flew to audition in person. LOVED the school, but felt it was her first “off” live audition - she even faltered in dance, which is a strong area for her; flew home and tested + the next day.

So she emailed the program director to notify of the + test and ask if they would like to see something else from her since she clearly wasn’t at the top of her game due, we now knew, to being sick. Answer was a quick "thanks for sharing your talent, and we have all we need to see from you). Followed the next day by a NO to all MT.

At the info session, it sounded like they auditioned the kids only for both BFA MT and that BA/MT concentration was open. She liked the school so much, she would have gone w/out BFA and done BA MT.

Clarifying questions through emails showed that the audition was actually for BOTH the BFA and BA. Her only remaining option was to declare BA Theatre Studies (non-performance) and re-audition with them for MT the next year. No thanks. Too expensive for that!

Anyway, thanks for listening. She has 2 BFA offers from good audition schools so far, but neither from the top of her list - those are still pending and likely won’t hear until March. Sigh . . .

1 Like

@zippy_s.mom

Thank you so much! Yes, Boco was her dream school. We are so happy!

2 Likes

@helpingthekid73

Thank you!!

1 Like

I’m sorry- that sounds rough. This whole process is intense with many ups and downs and meh moments! I hope your daughter feels better soon! Great that she has offers already. Hang in there!

Sorry to hear, she will find her place, and to have two acceptances at this point is so exciting!

Thanks for the support - it is such a roller coaster of an ordeal!

1 Like

Anyone else find it odd/annoying that many, many applicants, including my D were waitlisted for a callback audition with Hartt on 1/19, yet they offered Walk-in auditions at NYC and are also offering virtual walk-ins via accepted on 2/18 and 2/19??? Shoudn’t waitlisted kids be offered spots at this point, unless as we thought the waitlist was for the program itself and not a callback audition. I told my D we are doing a walk-in at Chicago if offered for sure since she was not a “NO” for the prescreen. Kind of baffling.

6 Likes

I was furious about that last year. My S was a now for Hartt after prescreen but they offered walk-ins. And to show you how random the process is he goes to UNCSA and got into NYU and a variety of other acting programs rated much higher than Hartt.

2 Likes

That seems so odd!

During the syracuse auditions in NYC a kid asked if there were walkins available during the parent session at the beginning. Later the professor running the call said to the kids waiting to audition we don’t do walkins. Someone has put us in a list as accepting walkins but we don’t… I mean we have prescreens! I thought that spoke to their integrity for the process!

4 Likes

re HARTT
this should make you feel better…they are so misleading! my daughter did a walk jn this weekend only to discover it was actually a live prescreen not an audition. they emailed her after the walk in and said don’t bother coming to the dance call. after she had signed up for it and blocked out valuable time.

hope that helps…their so called walk ins are not actually walk ins!!

2 Likes

Given how this whole process has gone with Hartt, I’m not impressed.

3 Likes

Adding to the theme. My D was contacted by Hartt to set up a zoom interview after an early audition. She played phone tag with the department for about two weeks because they kept messaging her during school hours (same time zone) for a time later that same day. I understand some kids would be sitting by the phone and checking portals constantly, but this was in October and she had in-person school after a year and a half of covid virtual, 2 AP classes, and the fall play. D moved on. She didn’t submit an application or reach out to schedule an audition.

Yup, she got the same waitlist email about a week ago.

2 Likes

start the final decision thread :slight_smile: congrats!

2 Likes

if it makes you feel any better, my daughter ( now a Sophmore at a BM MT program- class of 24) was rejected from a BFA program in the fall, only to be accepted into the BA program with a " talent scholarship" in the spring with the regular acceptance cycle…talent scholars hip but no to BFA- thanks but no thanks

@NYYFanNowMTdad

Thank you! My D isn’t ready to make a final decision yet. Even though BOCO is her dream school, she is waiting until March when all offers and financial aid packages are released. Then she will make her final decision. Praying Boco will give aid and she can actually go there! :pray:

6 Likes

Brava!

1 Like

So exciting congrats!

1 Like

Seemingly no rhyme or reason, right? Glad your daughter found her spot and this is in her rearview!

2 Likes