The Class of 2027 – Sharing, Venting, Discussing! MT

Does anyone have the link to the Facebook group that was previously mentioned on this thread? Thanks!!!

1 Like

It’s called MT Parents

1 Like

S23 just got a Yes from CCM prescreen! Eased his anxiety as he was getting worried about not hearing from BoCo or Ithaca yet as they are rolling. Still awaiting those two and Michigan (also Penn State, but they’ve given the date of January 16th). Hoping they are released in the next few days as well.

4 Likes

Hi, congrats!
My D, too, for Acting. Do you know what that represents in terms of applicant ratio?
Meaning does every hopeful get called back for an in-person audition?

:

Just reading through these threads as I haven’t looked at anything MT in awhile. Good luck to everyone with their prescreens and auditions.

As a parent of an MT '24 at a strong program, I encourage you to be open minded and not so top heavy focused on your early results. Also, don’t assume a decision from one school has any bearing on anything from another (regardless of where these schools fit in the pecking order). D and countless others seemed to have completely random results, especially prescreens. Not picking on any schools here, but solely for example sake - passing both MT and Acting prescreens at CCM and not passing anything at UCF or actually getting accepted into several very strong programs and not passing a prescreen or being rejected at much lesser known schools.
I only share these thoughts to promote sanity during this process. You’re dealing with emotional kids (by definition) and it’s easy for them to get upset, depressed, overly elated, etc.

This is just the start of a very long process. The “competition” if you will doesn’t end there, not even close. Then you have summer stock auditions, professional auditions, heck even auditions within the program. Also, try to reinforce the idea that the program doesn’t define your kid. Lots of very successful artists performing on national tours, Broadway, prominent regional theater, movies, tv from many backgrounds / schools. Lots without BFAs as well.

Hopefully your kid finds a match that works for them, helps them grow, hone their skills, and lets them explore lots of interests (at least within the arts).

TLDR: Don’t get stuck on names, they don’t really matter. What your kid does with the training, who they meet along the way is what it’s all about.

9 Likes

I didn’t pass any prescreens. Got rejected from Shenandoah, CMU, Temple, and Ithaca. I can’t afford a coach. What do I do now?

1 Like

I’m sure people will give you plenty of ideas. Here are a few schools to look into (you’ll want to double check the deadlines and details). I’ll try to come up with others. There are a lot of programs out there!

Columbia College Chicago- no audition for BA MT program, which has a Jan 18 deadline

Muhlenberg (no audition, Feb 1 deadline) Theatre & Dance | Muhlenberg College
University of the Arts (no prescreen, deadline Feb 15) Theater - Musical Theater (BFA) | University of the Arts
Oakland University, I don’t think there’s a prescreen Musical Theatre Program | Oakland University

1 Like

Has anyone heard anything about prescreen decisions from UM? It’s the only college that we’re waiting on for results. We’re fine with the idea of rejection but we’re growing tired of waiting for it!

1 Like

Did you apply to other schools as well? Are there areas of the country where you would prefer to be? There are programs with later deadlines or even rolling admissions that you could still apply to but will require a little research. I think many students probably apply to 15-30 schools just because the programs are typically very small so the percentage of applicants who get admitted are tiny. So, at this point, I think your best bet would be to submit to schools that are still accepting applications (will require some research, but there are lots of websites that list MT and acting programs as well as past threads on this page), consider a non-audition school or even a gap year.

1 Like

We’re waiting on that one as well. I heard they’ve been rolling out and should be done rolling out by end of December.

2 Likes

I’ve done 4 total prescreens as of now for acting. I passed CCM’s (no idea how), and got rejected from Umich, FSU, and DePaul. I expected the rejections considering how competitive they are. I am going to NYC Unifieds where I’m attending CCM, Shenandoah, NIU, and Rutgers (so far). I have a ton more schools to do, aka 9-10. I’m praying for one acceptance into an acting program. I hope 15 ish schools is enough, that’s all I had the time and patience to do.

3 Likes

i applied to two in-state Acting programs, Towson and UMBC, and i’ll audition in-person for them. also NYU. not passing the other 4 isn’t a good sign for the in-person NYU audition, but tbh i’ve improved a lot since i sent the prescreen. i used an audition song and got a solid role in the school musical… my singing is more relaxed and controlled now

i’ll see if my parents let me apply to more schools. i live in MD. i’d rather stay on the East Coast away from Florida. New York is the farthest north I’d be willing to go

1 Like

Do not get discouraged! My S21 is now a second year at UNCSA, did not pass prescreens for pace, CMU, Hartt and a bunch of other programs but had multiple acceptances to pick from. Definitely look into Muhlenberg and NYU is a huge program where the audition is more of an interview. Also there are walk ins at Unifieds that you may want to do, esp Hartt.

1 Like

Plenty of schools are still taking applications! Also some schools like Marymount don’t require a prescreen.

Hi everyone! I don’t know if anyone’s kid is applying to Northwestern for theatre. Their music theatre supplement asks for full-body songs, but all of my son’s prescreen videos are in 3/4. I know Northwestern is less strict with their criteria, and we have tried calling multiple times to clarify if there is a need to refilm, but no answer so far. Has anyone already applied and can help? Or if anyone has an answer! Much appreciated!

If it turns out at the end of the audition season that you havent gotten into any schools, and there are none that you are interested in studying at (remember: you pick your college just as much as they pick you) a gap year does wonders for a student. I took a gap year and joined Theatre Gap Initiative based in North Carolina. I went from having one callback out of 15 schools in my senior year, to having 50 callbacks and 12 acceptances by end of December. Colleges dont think gap years are bad, and some programs absolutely want you to find yourself as an artist before attending a project.

5 Likes

Bummer, my kid had been waitlisted for a BoCo audition but just got an email that they won’t be getting an audition. Did anyone actually get an audition off that wait list?

1 Like

Same here. I haven’t heard of anyone getting an audition off it either

No, my D will not get an audition after being on the waitlist either.

Thank you for this. And ugh! yes, as long as they are in this mt career waiting and cll backs will be an ongoing process.