The Class of 2027 – Sharing, Venting, Discussing! MT

Okay, so I’m pretty confused by CCM. I haven’t received an official email about passing the prescreen, however, acceptd prompted me to choose an audition slot? I’m assuming that means I passed?

1 Like

Probably! This has happened to a few people I know. Congrats!

Thank you! I’m kinda shocked, to be completely honest. I know CCM is highly competitive

Wanted to ask if anyone has heard from Hartford yet, my prescreen has been in for about 3 months now. If anyone cares, here are my prescreen passes/callbacks with advice to how I did it:

Passes: BoCo, Carnegie Mellon, Syracuse, Ithaca, Emerson, CCM, Oklahoma, Uarts, Penn state, New York Film Academy, Florida State (in final round), UNCG, Rider, Point Park (acting and MT), Belmont, Indiana, Alabama Birmingham, Montevallo, Long Island, Texas Tech, Wright State, Alabama, Coastal Carolina, Wisconsin Stevens Point, Florida Southern, Roosevelt

Auditioned Already/waiting to here back from: Alabama at Birmingham, Montevallo, Southeast Missouri, Umiami, Texas Christian, Rockford, Brenau

Acceptances: Abilene Christian, Austin Peay, Valdosta State, Western Connecticut, Northern Colorado, Oakland, Ohio Northern, New York Film Academy, Texas at Arlington, New Hampshire, Nebraska Wesleyan, Millikin

I am currently in a gap year, I have more experience and know what I am doing now than when I was a senior. Back then I only had 1 prescreen pass out of the 15 I applied too, and one acceptance to a college that didnt require any prescreens. Taking the time to develop your craft does wonders for a student.

If youre wondering how I afforded all these prescreens, I am a part of a non-profit gap year program that allows students to hone in on their craft. The non-profit means that all prescreens do not cost anything for students that are apart of the program. I come from a low-income family, and am blessed to be able to have this gift of art.

Parents, gap years are not bad for your students, and students, hard and consistent work will bring you the blessings I have right now.

Go to the library and read monologue book after monologue book, go to Wikipedia and search musicals by years to find uncommon really good songs you can sing, put in the work, and it will reward you like it has done to me in Act 1 of this process. On to act 2!

6 Likes

For CCM Acting not sure of percentage of prescreens.
Last year they had little over 800 acting applicants they accepted 15 and 13 enrolled.

1 Like

Isn’t NWN a strictly academic application? I didn’t think you could apply directly to theatre or MT programs?

This seems like an insane number of applications.

1 Like

They have an optional MT supplement!

1 Like

It is! I originally had 25 schools on my list, no more, no less, then I went to a regional college audition program, and had many offers come in and schools give me fee waivers to apply to them! It was amazing knowing I was going to college, and I hope every student has their moment of glory, the hard work you put in will shine through!

5 Likes

Good for you!! Congrats on what sounds like a really productive gap year!

I got rejected from UM Musical theatre (My dream program) on Christmas. UGH!! So far I have passed Belmont (No pre) NYU (no pre) Marymount Manhattan (No pre), Pace, Ithaca, Texas State, Texas Christian, and Carnegie Mellon- all for Musical Theatre. I am only awaiting to hear from Elon, (which is probably now my top) and only got rejected from Michigan.
For everyone who didn’t pass- I get it! It’s tough. We will all end up where we are supposed to end up! We got this :slight_smile:

1 Like

You got some really great passes! I know the Nos are hard though.

UM sent out rejections on Christmas!? That’s nuts.

4 Likes

hi–is this true for the acting program too? wanted to try to get a walk-in audition but maybe that’s impossible

Just saying hi as a DC (transfer) theater major applying to programs right now. CMU and Ithaca are pretty competitive in the pre-screens, so you might have better luck with other ones. Have you looked into Catholic–they have a great MT program. I’m probably going to be auditioning for UMBC and Towson too.

1 Like

Hey! I wanted to pop in as a current musical theatre major at Xavier University — I highly recommend Xavier, the audition process is really personal and not at all stressful (which was a welcomed break from my process). They still have some audition dates open and are actively looking for more auditioners (they’re taking a larger class this year). It’s a BA program MT, theatre, and theatre ed majors are all offered. Just wanted to add this since it is a lesser-known program, especially as rejections start to roll in.

1 Like

Has anyone heard from UCLA and USC auditions yet?

1 Like

My S23 toured UCLA on Monday and they told him that UCLA wasn’t having any in-person auditions and would just go off the videos submitted. No word from USC yet.

1 Like

DD was accepted to Indiana MT, does anyone know when merit aid/scholarships are announced? Does Indiana give much in aid?

1 Like

Thank you! I was already thinking that was it for my D.

FYI - Fullerton has already sent their reply through Accepted (in case they have applied there.)

4 Likes