The Decline/Rethinking of The Humanities Major

They can write whatever they want. But let me present some data.
Here are some linkedin filters for McKinsey analyst jobs in the US.
There are 16k people with the words analyst and united states on their linkedin pages.
Of those, people with Philosophy on their linkedin page are the following:

Of those, people with English on their linkedin page are the following:

Of those, people with Business on their linkedin page are the following:

Of those, people with Economics on their linkedin page are the following:

Of those, people with Engineering on their linkedin page are the following:

We can see how represented each of the majors are.
There are more universities than just the top 5 listed for each major. But we get the drift.

5 Likes

Awesome! Thanks for the work that you did putting that together.

2 Likes

Perhaps there is an increasing perception and actuality that jobs and careers are more competitive than they were a generation or few ago. A generation or few ago, any bachelor’s degree was considered a distinction, and the US economy shared more of its growth with labor, and employers were more willing to do on-the-job training, so the pressure to get on the “elite” job and career path, at at least be job-ready upon completion of school, may have been less.

There may also be financial pressure for the kids growing up in upper middle class households who “need” a high income to continue the living standard that they grew up with. The kid who would be happy with a $25,000 per year living standard will have more financially doable job and career paths than the kid who “needs” $250,000 per year to live.

Many of the elite private colleges used to have much higher percentages of students admitted as scions of the then-current elites, rather than their own academic achievements – think of that as a much larger form of LDC-type hooks. For those students, it probably did not matter what they majored in, or if their grades were mostly “gentleman C” grades, since they were well-hooked for employment after graduation.

5 Likes

Yes, exactly.

Well, my kid is an English and History double major at UCLA. So, she’s holding up the torch for humanities. She is exploring journalism, library science, academia, publishing, perhaps law school and even the Peace Corps as possible next steps 

As far as reading goes, she is an avid reader
 classics and current literary fiction, mostly. And she’s pretty judgy about it when she meets people who don’t read or consume books in some way shape or form (she loves audio books, too).

6 Likes

You have just revealed that you have little knowledge of English majors, English departments, and English professors.

6 Likes

Curious what English majors actually do as part of their major.

1 Like

I live in NYC and I see young people reading on the subway all the time! What NYC subway riders are really reading on the train

We have this if you forget to bring a book Announcing #SubwayLibrary: Free E-Books for Your Commute | The New York Public Library

and there’s also this. https://www.booksonthesubway.com/

4 Likes

The English major does involve written and oral communication. English majors are taught critical thinking, reading, and writing skills. Contrary to popular belief, the major is not just analyzing literature and literary criticism. (And the texts they analyze and write about include more than literature.)

The fact that people think an English major is simply about reading and analyzing literature reflects the decline we’re discussing. I consider posters on CC knowledgeable. If they don’t understand the major then it really is doomed.

6 Likes

Indeed this is what we see much of the time in high school english classes. It is natural to think there will be more of this in college, especially in an english major.

3 Likes

Really? That’s not what I see in my public high school.

If that’s all they’re seeing from their student’s English class then parents need to petition the school for a better curriculum.

3 Likes

Probably because that is what most people saw in high school English. However, most subjects are broader in college than they are in high school, so high school impressions of a subject may not reflect the full breadth of the subject.

I really didn’t mean to create a tangent on whether young people are reading these days, in bed or on the subway. Let’s focus on what is going on in academia. Apologies.

I am aware that there are writing courses, creative writing, and a whole range of such things run by the English department, but the prestige end of the profession is not devoted to that.

Just to pull an example, the Harvard graduate course “Queer/Medieval” includes this description:

“The / in this course title can suggest a slippage or interchangeability; opposition and polarization; or erotic or romantic friction. This course functions as an introduction to queer theory as an intellectual tool with which to read texts far removed from the political, cultural, and social discourses from which queer theory emerged. We will ask: what can queer theory offer readers of medieval literature in its explorations of gender, sexuality, race, power, narrative, trauma, and time? We will read a range of queer theorists from foundational works to new thinkers, including but not limited to Judith Butler, C. Riley Snorton, Lee Edelman, Eve Sedgwick, JosĂ© Esteban Muñoz, and Carolyn Dinshaw, alongside a selection of medieval texts from the European middle ages (roughly 500-1500). Texts will be in modern English translation or in Middle English (no experience in Middle English is required, the class will include additional support for those who have not read Middle English before).”

That kind of course persists - the kind of thing that would have been perceiving as cutting-edge theory back in the 90s, but it viewed as suspect and less useful by today’s undergraduates.

I would argue graduate whose expertise is in writing about slippage and friction will not have the same kind of in-demand communication skills that a journalism major would (except perhaps in less prestigious but more widely read genres). Not that journalism has great prospects these days either.

4 Likes

So one graduate course at Harvard is now representative of an undergraduate English major? :roll_eyes:

Written and oral communication are not the exclusive domain of writing courses or courses with “writing” in their title. Students do not need to take a specific course in creative or expository writing to learn those skills. Even my DC learned those skills in high school classes like APUSH, AP WH and AP Gov.

And you need to realize that universities have different ways of structuring English majors. For example, some institutions have an English major with a concentration in journalism, while other places call it a specific journalism major. You can’t just describe all English majors with a broad stroke of literature and literary analysis.

But I’m not interested in debating what English majors do or don’t do with people who are not English majors or English professors—or even in the Academy for that matter. As I said, some of the comments on this thread point to why the major is doomed. Lack of understanding is certainly part of it.

ETA:
Enjoy your conversation. But at least do some research, and argue based on more than speculation.

2 Likes

This is what UCB states as their focus for the English major.

"
The major in English is designed to introduce students to the history of literature written in English; to acquaint them with a variety of historical periods and geographical and cultural regions of English language and writing; to create an awareness of methods and theories of literary and cultural analysis; and to provide continued training in critical writing.
"
https://english.berkeley.edu/undergraduate/the_major#:~:text=To%20be%20eligible%20to%20declare,%2C%20Shakespeare%2C%20or%20English%2090.

This sounds like literary analysis to me. Even the phrase “critical writing” at the end is really writing that analyses literature.

1 Like

Critical writing = writing that analyses literature? :no_mouth:

Better not tell lawyers that.

I guess skill set is not a familiar term either.

Enjoy your thread!

2 Likes

Yes. In the context of what Berkeley described as content of the English major. You can be sure they are not analyzing middle eastern politics critically and writing about it

Would you consider this organization as having the body of knowledge ir establishing standards for teaching English? Or is it an outlier? Who sets a standard for teaching high school English? Is a standard driven primarily by state mandated curriculum?

I would guess the emphasis of English majors varies at different colleges.

It’s worth noting that Berkeley has a separate major in Rhetoric, which may be one reason the English department concentrates on literary analysis.

https://rhetoric.berkeley.edu/undergraduate-program/

“The Department of Rhetoric at Berkeley trains its majors in the history of rhetorical theory and practice, grounded in argumentation and in the analysis of the symbolic and institutional dimensions of discourse.”

As a different example, from the University of Michigan:

“English as a field of study focuses especially on language as a medium of communication, and on the analysis and enjoyment of works of imaginative literature.

[Students are asked to achieve]

The skills needed to recognize, analyze, and appreciate rhetorical, poetic, and other uses and functions of language; to produce close and critical readings of a wide variety of texts; to write clearly and effectively in a variety of modes; to develop and articulate a persuasive argument in speech and in writing; and, for some, to write creatively in various genres.”

https://lsa.umich.edu/english/undergraduate/english-major.html

2 Likes