The Essex Serpent - October CC Book Club Selection

@mathmom, thanks for the link to the Tanganyika laughter epidemic. So weird! If there are any Radio Lab fans out there, here’s an episode they did on this: http://www.radiolab.org/story/91595-contagious-laughter/

What did you all think of Martha and Luke’s one night stand? Were you surprised?

Not really, I sort of felt it was inevitable really. Though I had one relationship in grad school that teetered on the edge of going beyond friendship. My life would have been very different if we’d made that choice.

Yes and no. I found it sad for both of them: they draw together in silent acknowledgment that neither will have the relationship with Cora that he or she wants. No need for petty jealousy between the two exists anymore.

Haven’t. Finished the book and not reading posts here because I don’t want any spoilers. Enjoying the book !

I am correct in assuming that Martha has more than a platonic love for Cora, right? She and Luke both seem to be fantasizing about her during their brief encounter, and later Martha writes to Edward, “I cannot love you as a wife’s obliged to love a husband. I see the day coming when Cora Seaborne’s done with me but I can never be done with her” (p. 317).

I agree with you, Mary, but I didn’t think so until that point. For most of the novel I saw Martha as Cora’s protector-friend, even in the scenes when they slept together in the first house. I like how Martha ends up with her own companion in her own way, which then frees Cora to grow as well. I also like how Martha added a social commentary element to the book.

The relationship between Cora and Martha reminds of the one between Christabel and Blanche Glover (Possession) in its ambiguity.

Re Possession:

I’m not sure of Cora’s feelings for Martha but I feel certain that Martha’s feelings don’t fall under platonic. Martha moves onward unlike Blanche in Possession, maybe because she’s always known she wouldn’t “possess” Cora.

Interesting that Martha has a one night stand with Luke, not liking him much, while maintaining distance from Edward whom she makes her companion.

I was surprised that Martha and Luke had a one night stand. Once they did, I assumed they were both using each other as a replacement for Cora. I agree that Martha’s feelings for Cora went beyond platonic.

Martha and Luke certainly managed to put the episode behind them with no qualms or awkwardness. I guess if any pair could do it, it would be those two.

^ Actually, that’s not entirely accurate. Luke does revisit that time much later, and his thoughts reflect one of the novel’s themes of misdirected love:

The characters of Martha and Cora (and also Christabel and Blanche, as mentioned by @ignatius) seem to fit the profile of the “The New Woman” in late Victorian fiction.

Stella, of course, represents the other end of the spectrum—the “angel in the house.”

Cora reminded me a bit of Jo of the *Little Women * stage. Victorian friendships often seem more intimate than what we would expect. So I didn’t think Cora and Martha necessarily had a sexual relationship, until the lines quoted above, but in the end I think Martha did love her and Cora did not. In fact, Cora seemed to want to be “just friends” with everyone, while all the would-be friends want more from her. I remember that being an issue in my college years - there were a lot of guys I liked as friends, and it was very hard to keep them from wanting more!

^ Yes, Jo March – good comparison. They’re described in much the same way–mannish, affectionate, untidy, spirited, etc. But we get to know Jo so much better, and love her as a result (at least I do!). Will, Luke and Martha love Cora almost to the point of obsession, but to me she remains something of an enigma. I don’t quite see what makes her so compelling.

^^^ I couldn’t figure that out either. (Add Michael to your list. Abusive husbands do “love” their wives. You and I may not understand but that bond between abuser and abused exists and makes breaking away hard.)

^ Good point – and Perry tries to describe that strange bond:

Haha, I am amused by the fact that everyone seems to fall in love with Cora except those of us reading about her. Maybe we have to meet her in person! Regarding characters, I enjoyed whenever Charles and Katherine showed up. Charles had his faults but was essentially a good person and Katherine was a genuine friend. And they were happy together - Perry didn’t throw in angst there!

I didn’t love Cora, but I did find her character interesting. She was difficult to understand. I discussed her in other posts, so no need to repeat here, but I kind of like that I don’t know what makes her tick.

I liked Cora. I thought she was interesting and fun to be around. I don’t know exactly what Luke saw in her, but I could see why Will liked her so much. We don’t see enough of her relationship to Martha to know what was going on there besides a mutual concern for Francis.

@psychmom, I liked Katherine and Charles Ambrose a lot. They were a kind pair, full of good humor, and I thought the way they took in the Ransome children was touching. In a way, the are the most “omniscient” characters of the novel. From their (contented) perch, they are able to see and understand the little dramas that nearly all the other characters are going through.

I like Katherine and Charles also but my favorite relationship among the various relationship choices: Luke and Spencer. The two men have a solid friendship that I can see lasting through old age.

Which begs the question: Any one else have a favorite pairing?