The Future of UW-Madison Admissions

<p>So.. will it ease up for the Class of 2010, or will it be just as painful and selective for us as it was this year?</p>

<p>Was it that selective this year? Wasn't it still like a 55% or something acceptance rate?</p>

<p>I'm pretty sure it was selective. In 2005 my oldest sister got in with a 3.1 GPA and a 27 ACT... and this last year, my brother was postponed with a 3.7 GPA and a 29 ACT, and eventually denied. (He had NO Ec's and didn't do the 2nd part of the personal statement.)</p>

<p>^^^I'm pretty sure that means something. I really don't like the direction that the admissions at this school are going. If it levels off or gets harder, I don't even stand a chance.</p>

<p>um...well the class of 2009 (me) is applying this upcoming year</p>

<p>This year i heard the admit rate was ~55%.
I wouldn't be surprised if it went down to ~50%.</p>

<p>The website says that the middle 50% ACT for admitted students is 26-30, but I think it's gonna be more like 27-31.</p>

<p>Colleges in general are getting harder and harder to get into as more kids apply, making the admissions counslers up the standards every year. In my opinion it's complete b******t. Since there are so many people applying, they should allow the class size to get bigger (at least a little bit).</p>

<p>I disagree on your comment about making admissions less selective. The reason you want to go to UW Madison is because it is a top-rate university. If admissions got less selective, the value of your education would lower and your UW Madison degree wouldn't be as valuable in the working world. Furthermore, I don't think that making class sizes bigger would help. I just graduated last year and I think, if anything, the classes should be smaller (you'll probably feel the same way if you end up going there). If you're worried about not getting in, maybe you should think about applying to less selective schools.</p>

<p>Well said BA07 and welcome to CC. Good to have another UW alum here--and a more recent grad than some of us old grads.</p>

<p>Badger... please continue to add your insights. I know I would still get into UW today, but know that being in the upper 1/2 of the HS class to get in like in my day is vastly different (you can't compare grades or test scores as these are done differently now-eg no more grading on a curve and a rescaling of tests).</p>