The good SAT score that was bad

<p>Okay, so my October 6 SAT scores were released on October 25th...and it was really good. I didn't want to rewrite the SAT but I wasn't sure I'd get into UW Madison so I re-wrote it hoping to complement my application. I was accepted before I could send those scores...but my parents were relying on merit scholarships from the 2nd year onwards to lessen the burden, cuz I have 5 siblings, and it would be more expensive than I anticipated to send me to Wisconsin. However, I recently found out that substantial merit scholarships as a sophomore are possible but unlikely. With the new SAT score, they are confident I will get into a "nice school" with "a good financial help" and they want me to apply to other universities for fall of 2013. I don't know what to do. I like UW Madison a lot, and don't know if I should try and convince them that it might be a wise investment sending me there (apparently, they can, but want me to get a much lower college cost) or just not be selfish and apply to other universities that I'm likely to get financial aid or scholarships from. My score was 2390. What do you guys think?</p>

<p>Do you already have a merit scholarship offer from UW? Can it be improved with the better test scores?</p>

<p>It’s always a good idea to apply to 2 or 3 places if you are relying on financial aid, so you can compare packages. Why are you relying on aid after the first year? Not many schools offer better aid after the first year. Will your other siblings be in college after your first year? If so, that will impact your cost, as need will be based on more than one in college.</p>

<p>Definitely apply to other schools to see what scholarships you might get. You always want to have at least 1 or 2 schools that are your safety schools…schools you know you can afford. Just because you apply to other schools doesn’t mean you can’t end up at Madison.</p>

<p>Well…I’m an international…African. UW-Madison has no financial aid for incoming international freshmen, but its not too easy to explain why I love the school so much. I’m the eldest…my dad works at a publishing press. Mom’s a teacher. The 2nd child, my brother, is currently in grade 10.</p>

<p>@kjcphmom, I got into UW Madison for Spring 2013. But my parents want me to apply to other schools for Fall 2013. :(</p>

<p>Definitely check on several good private schools for merit aid that public U’s such as Wisconsin won’t provide. No one school is the only school you can love and get an excellent education at.</p>

<p>@wis75, thanks. I’ll start a new college search and make a list of 8 excellent universities that have something distinctive to offer, apart from substantial odd. Like you said, it shouldn’t be hard to find ones that get me excited.</p>