The Good Wife of Bath - October CC Book Club Selection

Our October selection is The Good Wife of Bath by Karen Brooks, a novel about Chaucer’s bold and bawdy Wife of Bath, told from her perspective.

Alisoun, the Wife of Bath, is one of the most well-known characters in Geoffrey Chaucer’s The Canterbury Tales, written in 1392. Was Chaucer embracing a misogynist stereotype or creating a feminist ahead of her time? Per the NY Journal of Books, the medieval tale has been “transformed into a rollicking narrative full of details of the times…the author’s diligent work sorting fact from poetry creates a fictional but believable character who lives and breathes in every word of this satisfying, page-turning novel.”

"So damned readable and fun…This is the story of a woman fighting for her rights; it breaches the walls of history.” – The Australian

For readers interested in the source material, here’s Chaucer’s Prologue and Tale for the Wife of Bath: 3.1 The Wife of Bath's Prologue and Tale | Harvard's Geoffrey Chaucer Website

(Each line is translated, so it’s easier to read than you might think!)

Discussion begins October 1st. Please join us!

4 Likes

I ordered my copy from E-bay. Luckily I was the only person bidding.

1 Like

Started reading the ebook before it goes back to the library and it is compelling! I even took it with me to the dentist this morning to read during the down time while my replacement crown was cooking in the oven (their words, not mine).

4 Likes

Listening to the audiobook, it engenders many feelings about her situations!

2 Likes

I started it today and am really enjoying it thus far!

2 Likes

How do you like the audio version? A narrator can make or break a book in my opinion. So I guess that’s what I’m asking?

I haven’t started yet. I was planning to wait but I’ve made timing mistakes in the past. Should I assume that this one needs to be started earlier than say The Lincoln Highway - also long but overall quick to read?

@ignatius I like it, her British accent makes it feel more real than my imagination. I do listen to audiobooks all the time, not everyone likes them and not all books lend themselves to it.

2 Likes

I find this very easy to read and am anxious to learn what happens next. So it’s going quickly.

Never listen to books because my mind wanders when my eyes aren’t involved.

4 Likes

Some times her bad choices or the foreshadowing cause me to stop for a day or two, I feel like when I was a kid watching “I Love Lucy” and had to leave the room :wink:

1 Like

Loved this book so much! Wrote down some notes so I wouldn’t forget when we start the discussion next month.

3 Likes

I like this book choice… might recommend it for my book club Oct title.

1 Like

I started reading it yesterday. It captured my interest from the start. I’m reading and listening and want to mention that the narrator is really really good, in case anyone leans toward the audio edition. On the other hand, the print edition has a glossary and a character list denoting real people and fictional characters. I’ve already glanced at both. Ex: John of Gaunt = Prince John (real); mazer = a drinking bowl made from wood or metal.

3 Likes

@ignatius, I got both of those references, but I am sure there are other words I missed.

Another risk of audiobooks is internalizing vocabulary, my DH cracked up when I said, “perchance” and I didn’t even notice it :wink:

5 Likes

Mayhap …

1 Like

Oh my gosh … I caught myself saying “mayhap” today.

3 Likes

My daughter uses “mayhap/s” regularly ; )

2 Likes

If you finish early you can amuse yourself with more John of Gaunt and his mistress Katherine Swynford with Katherine by Anya Seton. It’s one of those novels I reread when I want a big satisfying historical romance.

2 Likes

Not to get too deep into it before we really discuss, but I wanna know what’s the difference between swiving and sarding. No need to answer quite yet! :grinning:

1 Like

Well … that’s easy. Per the glossary at the back of the book: both are a colloquial expression for the exact same thing.

2 Likes