The Highlands/Bryce Lawn

At this time DS & 2 of his freshman roommates would like to try to stay on campus next year.

Does anyone have information about the “apartment” complexes on campus? I searched the parent FB pages and there is very little information about them. Other parents have inquired and no responses.

Are they reserved for specific groups? can any student apply for them? are they worth the costs? From this year’s housing costs, they were a little cheaper than the suite style dorms (if I’m reading it correctly), but not by much. The Highlands would be closer to the engineering quad, so DS would like that over Bryce. Also, it appears to have an actual kitchen. How is the availability for sophomores wanting to contract there?

I have told DS he could try to stay on campus again, but he really needs to have a back up plan. But, having more information for the campus apartments would be a big help.

I do not have personal experience, but I have heard that older students (international and grad) often live in Highlands, and Bryce is near fraternity-row and closest dining is Bryant (which houses the male athletes), so…draw your own conclusions from that very limited 2-nd hand info. To my knowledge, Highlands and Bryce are not reserved for anyone. Nice that both stay open during all breaks.

Does anyone have info on the Clara Verna apartment tower, which sits behind Highlands? I thought that was an international student building, for some reason, but I don’t know why I thought that. On UA website, there is no info about it…and on google it says it is an assisted living complex (but last entry was 2008). Just curious!

Thanks @aeromom, that is the most information I have been able to get so far!

As far as I know Clara Verna tower is an assisted living facility/nursing home.

As for Highlands/Bryce lawn: I don’t think they are reserved for any specific groups. I do know they are somewhat older and not really very nice…

UA typically wants as many on campus spots as possible for freshman, in the past they have even offered incentives to get upperclassmen to move off campus.

I wanted to add that our son had friends (girls) who lived in Bryce Lawn their sophomore year. They had a good experience there, liked the kitchen and were happy they chose it. It is a nice transition from dorm to off campus apartment. He mentioned it was older construction, but well maintained. I think I remember him saying there was 3 bedrooms but only 2 bathrooms, but they seemed to work it out fine and didn’t find this a problem. Because they had so much space, they did host game watching parties and dinners that my son went to.

Are these considered “dorms” in that you have to opt in and get accepted first by housing before applying?

5 Yes....the process works just like any "dorm" on campus.