The Honors College's 4 different programs & app process. :)

<p>*I have a question about something midwest mom’s 7-13-11 post re CLEP.
By ‘credit’ do you mean that you can get UA college units/credit for passing/good score on CLEP?
Does UA really accept CLEP (i.e., 53+ on Spanish Language) as having credit for 101, 102, 201, 202?! Or does it just allow you to move into a higher level of coursework by taking CLEP?</p>

<p>What if UA student doesn’t need the FL requirement (he’s doing engineering, e.g.) - if I get him to take CLEP and he gets a good enough score on it, will he actually get these 4 classes put on his transcript as a “P”?!</p>

<p>*</p>

<p>CLEP credits are applied like AP credits are…credits for the class depending on your score.</p>

<p>it’s not like the FL placement, when you’re placed into the next level and then later get “back credit”. With CLEP, you get the credits right away…just like AP…with a P grade.</p>

<p>For someone who doesn’t need a FL, the credits will just be on the transcript. My engineering son has about 20 FL credits.</p>

<p>bump</p>

<p>:)</p>

<p>bump…</p>

<p>:)</p>

<p>Stumbled on this thread linked from another thread and just want to thank mom2collegekids! This has been an ENORMOUS help! Really wanted my DS to take a look at UA, given his stats, but hadn’t been able to convince him because he has really felt drawn to all the usual CC favorite smaller schools, particularly due to the small class sizes. And then, I stumbled upon this thread and found that it’s possible to still have those small classes within a larger university. And the IHP program sounds like a terrific fit for his intended Spanish minor and desire to study abroad. UFE would be the icing on the cake, since research is also another major interest. Finally was able to convince him to schedule a visit when I gave him details of those programs!</p>

<p>I second the kudos to mom2collegekids. She has be extremely helpful in getting us ready for Bama. Even if we don’t get the UFE, S really wants to go to Bama. Thanks mom2 for all the help.</p>

<p>^^
Glad to help!!!</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Could they be used for another category, like humanities?</p>

<p>And I third the kudos. :)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Yes. Since my D needs “C” classes for her major, her foreign language credits (earned through CLEP) went toward the humanities requirement.</p>

<p>I apologize if this was answered somewhere, but the thread is a long one so …</p>

<p>What is the deadline for applying to the UHP or IHP? S has received the Presidential Scholarship and so would be an auto-admit for either program if he would just get around to submitting the separate app. (Like a lot of boys, he always puts things off until the very last minute!) But I seem to recall seeing somewhere that the deadline for applying to Honors was 3/1. Is that true? If not, then what is the absolute drop dead date? </p>

<p>Might applying to Honors before individual departments make their additional scholarship decisions have any impact on the amount offered?</p>

<p>From the UA page:</p>

<p>Although there is no formal deadline to apply to the Honors College, incoming freshmen should aim to apply before March 1st to facilitate registration for Honors Housing and Honors Orientation. All eligible students who apply after the registration deadline for a semester will be admitted for the next semester. If you have trouble with the link:</p>

<p>[Apply</a> to Honors | Honors College](<a href=“http://honors.ua.edu/admission-to-honors/apply-to-honors/]Apply”>Apply to Honors – honors.ua.edu | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>Good luck and Roll Tide!!</p>

<p>Thanks, CF. That must be where I saw the 3/1 date! (By “registration deadline,” I suppose they mean the date you actually register for fall classes?)</p>

<p>Now a follow-up Q: if he hasn’t applied yet, will he not get into Honors housing? Or will he just not get a “good” room? 3/1 seems awfully early to be closing the door (no pun intended) on housing decisions. Especially if he hasn’t made up his mind where he wants to go. It’s down to UA and Virginia Tech, but a lot is going to depend on the relative cost of attendance at each school which we won’t know for several more weeks yet.</p>

<p>I don’t know the answer to your question, but I would just have him apply immediately. The honors application takes less than 10 minutes to complete. It’s an automatic admission if you have the stats and apply, so he doesn’t have to spend a lot of time on the essay. A few sentences introducing himself will do.</p>

<p>Dominar: Yes, you have to be in the Honors College to apply for honors housing. Like Beth’s Mom said, it is an easy application. </p>

<p>Then I think you have to put down the enrollment and housing deposits. I would email housing or call to be sure. </p>

<p>[Student</a> Affairs | Housing & Residential Communities](<a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/halls/]Student”>Halls - Housing and Residential Communities) At the bottom of the page is the housing address and phone number. They are very nice on the phone and in emails. </p>

<p>Are you from Virginia? What is your S going to study? Good luck with your son’s college choices.</p>

<p>Thanks, all. I wish I could “have him apply,” LOL – he’s fortunately/unfortunately one of those guys who will do things his own way, in his own time, and seems to have a philosophy of NEVER doing anything before it absolutely has to be done! </p>

<p>We’re from Virginia, which is why the cost of Virginia Tech, even if he doesn’t get much by way of scholarships, is not that much higher than the cost of UA, with a Presidential Scholarship. He’s going to major in Business (undecided) for now, but I expect he may find that Finance suits him. I am also going to encourage him to double major/minor in French (because he’s already had 6 years of it in school) and/or Economics. I don’t think Tech or UA has a great advantage over the other in any of those areas, and I think the atmosphere at both schools is remarkably similar, so it really is going to come down to $$.</p>

<p>Thanks for the info , Dominar. Here’s a program that your S might be interested in.</p>

<p>[University</a> of Alabama Undergraduate Catalog 2010-12](<a href=“Page Not Found | The University of Alabama”>Page Not Found | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>This is the key: In participating University Scholars departments, with a closely integrated undergraduate and graduate program, qualified students begin graduate study in their senior year; such a program may lead to simultaneous completion of requirements for both master’s and bachelor’s degrees, each within its specified framework.</p>

<p>The student, with planning, can graduate with their BA and Master’s degree, in 4 years!!
Might be worth checking out. </p>

<p>Has your son taken any AP classes or Dual Enrolled classes? That always helps. Is he eligible to take any CLEP test? With your son’s foreign language, he could take the CLEP test and receive 14 credits!! Then he could continue his FL study.</p>

<p>Wow, we haven’t even gotten so far as to think about CLEP or other programs, but you do raise a great point. He could certainly get the 14 credits for French. He should also be able to get credit for his 3 IB/HL exams, but one of those is in French so probably can’t double dip.</p>

<p>He’ll also have 3 IB/SL exams under his belt (including 2 in subjects he’s taken at the 2-year HL level but IB policy limits him to taking the 1-year SL exam for some reason), but UA won’t give any credit for SL exams. Don’t get me started on what I think of that, LOL!</p>

<p>It’s probably too soon to be thinking of graduate school – if he goes, I can see him getting an MBA or a JD. But who knows. He may find his passion in some completely unrelated field, in which case the University Scholars program would be a great deal.</p>

<p>^^Look at this listing. I see credit for HL/SL.
[University</a> of Alabama Undergraduate Catalog 2010-12](<a href=“Page Not Found | The University of Alabama”>Page Not Found | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>This may be the most current link and therefore only the HL tests are counted.</p>

<p>[Credit</a> by Examination < The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://courseleaf.ua.edu/introduction/academicpolicies/creditbyexamination/]Credit”>http://courseleaf.ua.edu/introduction/academicpolicies/creditbyexamination/)</p>

<p>Bump!!!</p>

<p>What advantage is there to being in the UFE program versus the UHC program?</p>