The Honors College's 4 different programs & app process. :)

<p>The UFE program is a very elite small group. They have some activities and opportunities that are special to them.</p>

<p>Looking back over this thread … Looks like in 2011 notifications began around 1/20. Any input from the 2013 students/parents?</p>

<p>Also, what are the chances of DS making semi-finalist if his teacher has not sent in LOR? I’m guessing they will just put his application aside and not even look at it. :(</p>

<p>S applied to Fellows and has heard nothing at this point. Beadymom: I don’t know how they would handle an application that didn’t have a LOR yet. I know the deadline for the application was December 8th, and the LOR deadline was December 20th. Some colleges are flexible on those types of things–others take the deadline as an absolute. It’s so frustrating when teachers don’t make deadlines. You or your son could call Bama, I guess, and ask the question, just so you will know if it’s still worth prodding the teacher to get that LOR in!</p>

<p>He received an e-mail on 12/17 telling him that they had not received it. He was not back in school until this week to ask her (yes, he should have contacted her by e-mail over Christmas break). She said she never received a request from them in order to send it, so it has not been sent at all. Not sure what steps he has taken since this learning this. I will have him contact Alabama to see if it is too late to pursue. Thanks!</p>

<p>Borrowing from SEA_Tide:</p>

<p>There is an option to write an honors thesis to graduate as “University Honors Program with Thesis,” but it’s not required and only some choose that option. Engineering students typically complete a portfolio of their work and possibly have a capstone project in one of their 400-level courses.</p>

<p>Do note that those earning a master’s degree are required to do either a research paper, thesis, or take a comprehensive exam. The research paper and thesis can not be the same as the Honors thesis as the Honors College requires that an honors thesis be written as part of an honors class on the topic (UH 499). The Honors College also offers UH 498 which is designed for those doing research for their honors thesis.</p>

<p>I have been accepted to bama’s honors college and have already submitted my enrollment deposit. Do I have to accept my honors college admissions separately or will they automatically enroll me in the honors college bc I enrolled in the university already?</p>

<p>It’s automatic. You’re fine. Congrats!</p>

<p>Do the Fellows finalist decisions come through email or regular mail? </p>

<p>In the past years, the notifications were delivered through regular mail.</p>

<p>When will we found out whether or not we’re finalists?</p>