the identification of the gunman???

<p>rumors spread all over. The gunman is an asian. the gunman is a chinese. the gunman's gf cheated him.</p>

<p>I have no idea. Neither may you. </p>

<p>I am a chinese girl living around Shanghai. I am pretty sad to hear such news. I mean not only the shooting tragedy but also ppl's suspicion of asian/chinese. God bless VT and the victims' family. </p>

<p>do u have any idea who the gunman is ?</p>

<p>i am pretty worried actually. They say that the gunman was a student issuing his student Visa in Shanghai last year and he is a Chinese national. I am going to process my F-1 visa next month in Shanghai and going to attend randolph macon women' college this fall. RMWC happens to located in Virginia. I am afraid if Chinese man did it, it would affect my visa issue. </p>

<p>I know it is so inapporpriate to mention my personal business at this time when all america are melted with sadness. I am sorry if my thread makes you feel uncomfortable. But i really need some updated news, even its only rumors.</p>

<p>Thank you very much</p>

<p>The gunman has been confirmed an Asian by the Presdient of Virginia Tech. The police know the identity of the gunman but is not prepared to release this information as of now. </p>

<p>From eye witness reports - they say he was slightly under six feet , and went about the shooting very methodically. He used two handguns and had a lot of ammunition. From the grapvine , it does seem as if there was a girl involved. </p>

<p>There has no mention of him being Chinese. Being Asian and having seen the many problems posed to Arabs post 9-11 in relation visa issues , I understand you concerns. In my opinion , since this a sole persorn acting alone , your visa issues would not be affected.</p>

<p>huashi - please don't worry. All that is known is that the gunman was 19, Asian and a student at VT. They haven't released information about his identity or his nationality; but comments have been made by VT students that most VT international students are grad students. So it is very possible this is NOT an international student. Even if he were, I do not think your status would be affected.</p>

<p>Please keep the students and faculty of VT in your heart and good luck in college when you arrive in the fall.</p>

<p>huashi - You don't need to worry about this impacting your visa. Thousands of Chinese students come to study in the U.S. each year and add immeasurably to the quality of our campuses.</p>

<p>To gomez, idmom and gadad: thx for the patient explanations.</p>

<p>Here our local discussion board almost freak out. All chinese studs are upset. We are afraid this deadly attack would finally lead to a closing visa issue in China this year. </p>

<p>Wish it was not a Chinese. Actually i wish it never happened. God bless VT.</p>

<p>huashi.....I trust this will not effect your visa. RMWC is a gorgeous campus. Daughters and I toured there this past week. (as well as VT) Good luck in Lynchburg. And don't forget it's now Randolph College. (with men in Fall of 2007)</p>

<p>NYTimes:</p>

<p>Suspect’s Name Emerges | 8:57 AM ET The shooter’s name is Seung-Hui Cho, according to federal law enforcement officials interviewed by The Times. More soon.</p>

<p>I'm Chinese as well...I don't know what to say besides God bless those who were affected by the incident. RIP.</p>

<p>He's a South Korean 23 year old senior at VT. He shot his gf and RA, then went to the school.</p>

<p>South Korean Undergrad - A senior in the English Department. </p>

<p>Once again , I doubt this would affect any visa issues of prospective South Korean students.</p>

<p>He's from Centreville, Virginia...he was a legal resident</p>

<p>"He's from Centreville, Virginia...he was a legal resident"</p>

<p>He is from Centerville near Williamsburg. Not CentREville, Fairfax!!!</p>

<p>that is incorrect. We just received an announcement from the Fairfax County Public School system and the shooter was a 2003 graduate of Westfield HS in Fairfax Virginia</p>

<p><a href="http://www.fcps.edu/suptapps/newsreleases/newsrelease.cfm?newsid=619%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.fcps.edu/suptapps/newsreleases/newsrelease.cfm?newsid=619&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>CNN said the same thing..Centreville...outside DC.</p>

<p>it's centreville, va .... there is a large korean population there. this is so tragic. may the victims rip</p>

<p>Foxnews corrected their prior posting oc Centerville near Williamsburn in eastern Virginia.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/17/cho.profile/index.html?eref=rss_topstories%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/17/cho.profile/index.html?eref=rss_topstories&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>well, in some way, that the gunman was no Chinese was good news for me. But I still feel ashamed that an asian did it. Look how asians are discriminated in USA, at least i think they are. I guess after this deadly attack the situation gonna become worse. I just wanna say, things happened, ppl died. What we need to do is pray for the victims and look forward and move on. A korean guy did it. It doesnt mean all koreans are bad . Nor are all asians. </p>

<p>GOD BLESS VT& World Peace</p>

<p>Asians discriminated against in the US? Don't know where you are seeing that, but I've never seen it. Guess I'm pretty sheltered and all that. One madman doesn't paint a whole race/nationality - this is not some conspiraccy terrorism plot thing - just one wacko.
Peace be with VT and all concerned.</p>

<p>I wouldn't say that you are sheltered, but it is true Asians are subject to racism as much as everyone else. Sorry, but racism affects everyone. It isn't just prejudice against African Americans and those of Middle East descent. =&lt;/p>

<p>I think a reason why the gunman's race is in issue is because of the fact that he was a senior, Asian, and an English major. </p>

<p>All of those things combine make him seem very normal. Yes, he had a history of mental illness, but on paper, he seemed like a fairly normal guy. No one expected him to do what he did. If he were any other race, on paper, he still seems quite normal. I think everyone's impressions of Asians have just been flipped. This just proves that anyone can be a killer and murder is atypical.</p>

<p>However, I truly hope that you understand why people are concerned for Asian Americans, and especially Korean Americans. Think about what happened with September 11th. A lot of people were quick to judge those of Middle Eastern descent (and those who looked it) and then in several situations, anyone who looked "foreign."</p>

<p>It is important to realize the repercussions of the Virginia Tech Massacre affects all of us, and we all must realize that there is only one person responsible for the deaths of 33 people. Not two parents. Not a university. And certainly not a race of people.</p>

<p>As Americans, we must accept the responsibility and not reinforce it.</p>

<p>I believe that this is a time when all of us CC members have to show our maturity and not be bothered about whether the killer was Asian or whatever. Being part Asian myself, it is true that he has disgraced the Asian community but I dont think we have to worry.. Everybody in VT and the whole United States understands that we as a community arent this way.. They're perception towards Asian isnt going to change....</p>

<p>I know for a fact that not all koreans are this way...
Lets all pray to god to give strength to those who have lost their loved ones in this tragedy...</p>