The Luminaries - February CC Book Club Selection

<p>Greetings all,
Mary13- I’m here following this discussion closely, enjoying being a " lurker" :wink: </p>

<p>My mother is still here with us recovering from that pelvic break, and shingles.
She walked with a walker yesterday- I see the light at the end of this tunnel !!!’
But, am SO SLEEP deprived these days. Do you all remember those days when you had newborns, awake at all hours,never getting more than four hours of sleep? Well, that’s what life is like right now. </p>

<p>I prefer to let others weigh in on the next selection,especially if I may be preoccupied. </p>

<p>^^^ Miss your input in the discussions, SJCM. Take care of yourself as you take care of your mother.</p>

<p>My bright idea that had books falling off the list as we picked our top 5-6 may not work, as my choices differ from those of NJTM. Let Mary figure this one out. (But please note that I narrowed my list to five books; usually I’m over the set number.) </p>

<p>In alphabetical order:</p>

<p>Claire of the Sea Light by Edwidge Danticat</p>

<p>Family Album by Penelope Lively</p>

<p>The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd</p>

<p>The Maid’s Version by Daniel Woodrell</p>

<p>A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki</p>

<p>I did read Americanah and liked it but have no interest in rereading it. I do recommend it though. I found it thought-provoking.</p>

<p>Sorry about the rough time your mom and you are having, SJCM. Hope things get much better soon.</p>

<p>Here is my list. Good luck with this, Mary! :-??</p>

<p>The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes
A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki
A Constellation of Vital Phenomena by Anthony Marra
The Signature of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert
The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd </p>

<p>Thinking of you and your mom, SJCM.</p>

<p>Time to herd cats again, Mary! :)</p>

<p>I say The Golden Notebook, though some don’t seem interested, then The Invention of Wings, then Ozeki, A Tale for Time Being, then Lively, Family
Album. Don’t know how that emoticon got there but can’t seem to erase it! </p>

<p>Have any of you read Penelope Lively before? I looked at the beginning of the book on amazon and wasn’t sure I really liked the writing style. It was sort of flat and simple, and she used the word “saw” (past tense of “see”) over and over…and over!</p>

<p>In addition, I was bemused to see comments that the Kindle version of The Invention of Wings has commentary by Oprah that could not be turned off and that some readers found highly annoying. Not that I would be reading the book on Kindle, but others might want to consider this.</p>

<p>^^^ You can get the non-Oprah version:</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DMCV7K0/ref=amb_link_398271242_3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=hero-quick-promo&pf_rd_r=1JXR09Y655YKQQA0JBKM&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=1713938962&pf_rd_i=B00H58VGIA”>http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DMCV7K0/ref=amb_link_398271242_3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=hero-quick-promo&pf_rd_r=1JXR09Y655YKQQA0JBKM&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=1713938962&pf_rd_i=B00H58VGIA&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Oops, you’re right, ignatius. Just trying to help maybe whittle down the list! Reviews of The Invention of Wings also mention gut-wrenching torture scenes.</p>

<p><a href=“http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2014-01-02/site/chi-invention-of-wings-sue-monk-kidd-20140102_1_sarah-lord-bird-printers-row-journal”>http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2014-01-02/site/chi-invention-of-wings-sue-monk-kidd-20140102_1_sarah-lord-bird-printers-row-journal&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Torture? Yikes!!! NJTM knows me well enough to know that I’m now rethinking my list. </p>

<p>I think Mary will be able to weed out a few titles (after a few more people weigh in, along with Mary herself, of course) and then she’ll start the herding process. I sense that narrow-it-down-again instruction looming in our future.</p>

<p>Up side - I’ve found some books that I want to read … with or without you guys. (I love our diverse opinions/interests.)</p>

<p>Here is a slightly revised list. Night Film and Guts have been removed by request, and I’m also taking out The Good Lord Bird since that doesn’t appear on any of the four lists submitted so far, and The Maid’s Version, which only appears on only one list.</p>

<p>There’s quite a few regulars out there who haven’t ranked yet–mathmom, goodenuffmom, Tiredofsnow, buenavista, CBBBlinker, etc. We’ve trimmed from 13 to a slightly more manageable 9, which might make choosing easier. Previously submitted lists may be revoked, revised or reorganized if desired, after reviewing the trimmed list of options. Try ranking your top 4 and let’s see if that gets us any closer to a winner: </p>

<p>The Signature of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert</p>

<p>The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes</p>

<p>A Constellation of Vital Phenomena by Anthony Marra</p>

<p>The Spinning Heart by Donal Ryan</p>

<p>The Golden Notebook by Doris Lessing</p>

<p>One of the five books I listed is now gone. I’m sticking with the remaining four. *Please note that I listed the books in alphabetical order - not order of preference, which would require a whole other level of thought.</p>

<p>I’m submitting two lists. This is my “ideal” list:</p>

<p>1.Golden Notebook.
2. Either A Constellation of Vital Phenomena or The Spinning Heart.
3. The Signature of All Things.
4. Sense of an Ending.</p>

<p>I think the above list is unrealistic, because so few people seem interested in the books on it.</p>

<p>This is my more realistic list:</p>

<ol>
<li>Any of the books in the list above.</li>
<li>Claire of the Sea Light</li>
<li>Maybe A Tale for the Time Being or The Invention of Wings</li>
</ol>

<p>I’m feeling very guilty and uneasy because my d___ned pickyness is really kicking in this time. I am hoping that if Family Album or The Invention of Wings or A Tale for for the Time Being were chosen, I would be able to read it. But I’ve gotta admit that none of the three have much appeal. :(</p>

<p>The writing style of Family Album doesn’t look like something I’d enjoy. The Invention of Wings sounds a bit grim, but if ignatius could tolerate it, probably I could too. A Tale for the Time Being features a western novelist writing about Japanese people, and unfortunately I somehow don’t trust her to get it right. Oops, correction: Ozeki is half Japanese and has spent significant time in Japan, so maybe her take on that culture is valid after all!</p>

<p>Just want to mention that *Sense of an Ending * is a relatively short book (162 pgs). My son has it and loved it…kind of the opposite of The Luminaries in that every word is necessary. </p>

<p>I am going to wait until the next revision to weigh in.</p>

<p>My list (forgive, not going to try to make italics!)</p>

<ol>
<li>The Golden Notebook</li>
<li>Claire of the Sea Light</li>
<li>Family Album</li>
<li>The Invention of Wings</li>
</ol>

<p>Not too interested in The Spinning Heart or A Constellation or the Signature ; A Tale for the Time Being sounds intriguing but I’m afraid it will turn into another Hedgehog, and I’ve read The Sense of an Ending. However, I read it on a plane so probably could stand a re-read. </p>

<p>That being said, I will probably read whatever the majority wants to read, because I appreciate the discussions so much! Thanks, Mary13!</p>

<p>Penelope Lively’s writing style is very spare. Sometimes it almost seems to simple too me, I wonder if she’s getting Alzheimers, but I’ve read and enjoyed all her books except the most recent one. I actually got to know her through her children’s books first. Anyway, just threw it out there, because I like her very much, and I think she’s under-appreciated in America. :slight_smile: I’ve been too busy watching the Olympics to read reviews.</p>

<p>Okay, past my bedtime but here goes:</p>

<ol>
<li>The Golden Notebook</li>
<li>The Sense of an Ending</li>
<li>A Tale for the Time Being</li>
<li>The Signature of All Things</li>
<li>I dunno, maybe The Spinning Heart? or The Invention of Wings?</li>
</ol>

<p>

</p>

<p>I had some thoughts along these lines too. I never wanted to try reading *The Elegance of the Hedgehog<a href=“I%20was%20not%20yet%20a%20participant%20in%20this%20group%20when%20it%20was%20a%20selection”>/i</a>.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Don’t feel guilty or uneasy or, at least, let me join you. I feel much the same way, only substitute the titles The Golden Notebook, A Constellation of Vital Phenomena, The Spinning Heart, A Sense of an Ending. It seems we’re polar opposites this time around.</p>

<p>I do agree with Tiredofsnow though:

</p>

<p>I started reading with this group fairly early on and want to take a minute to let all know how much I look forward to the discussions. I’ve learned that I don’t have to want to read the book to appreciate the fact it was picked when all is said and done. I’ve been stretched in reading choices and through discussion. Certainly I would not have picked up certain titles on my own - and a few times had that hesitation validated. Other times I’ve loved a book I would have missed.</p>

<p>One of the best things about this group is that we bring different likes and dislikes in our choice of reading material. Someone should remember - after our next book is selected - to ask what people are reading in the interim - the old “what’s on your bedside table” question. It’s always interesting, isn’t it?</p>

<p>Mary: You haven’t listed your choices. :wink: </p>

<p>Oh, ignatius, I am reading “Dominion” by C.J. Sansom. </p>

<p>I like your terminology about being “stretched in reading choices”; I feel the same. Some of the books that are being considered this time I’ve never heard of.</p>

<p>Have any of you read Jill Ker Conway’s memoirs? A Road from Coorain, True North, A Woman’s Education? </p>