The M10 Freak Out Thread Applicants 2015

@UIButton: You never know! They might have a bit more money for financial aid next year!

@thelittleswimmer‌ yeah!! I hope to be the Kimmy and the PEA! lolol

yeah, i think that’s what bummed me out the most about the experience, that i knew i was qualified to go to some of these schools, but they rejected me because i wasn’t full pay. on the other hand, if i was in the opposite situation and i knew i had only gotten in because i had the money, i think i would have felt like i was cheating…

I feel now that I have been accepted into my dream school (sorry for sounding cocky) I really want to just leave my current school early and start 9th grade already!

@UIButton‌ , Money/ socioeconomic status prevents most of the brightest kids in this country from 1) knowing these schools exist; 2) knowing they offer financial aid; 3) knowing that they could apply; and 4) having the support (family, school, cultural) that helps an application succeed. If you don’t have money but made it this far, be grateful for whatever got you to this point and be certain of your own abilities. You (and other talented but waitlisted applicants) will do fine. And @Napper‌ , full-pay students don’t get in just because they can pay (at least, not at the selective schools discussed in this forum).

@twinsmama thank you :slight_smile: At least I have a sense of the real world-- no matter how much of an inobject (idc if that’s not a word I’m using it) it is in some cases. That is the way of the world and there’s no changing that. I am grateful for what I have and am lucky to be on a full scholarship at my current school. I do wish that my house wasn’t in foreclosure, but that’s life… You push through and create a better environment for yourself :slight_smile:

@uibutton and @napper @twinsmama is right. It is never as simple as I didn’t get in because I don’t have money or someone else only got in because they do. There is a thread in the admissions forum where I posted the actual admit rates for Groton, They take 10% of kids who need FA and 17% of kids who don’t. Obviously its much better to be in the 17% but its still awfully hard to get in for anyone. And you know who has it the worst? Asian kids, they only accepted 5% of the kids applying from China, Hong Kong and South Korea and those kids are all full pay. Don’t get sucked into the line of thought that its not fair, its not, but few things in life are. Focus on your goals and keep going. Its not a race and if it were high school admission is not the finish line.

@LifeLongNYer I was trying to say that no matter what happens, life moves on. A top-tier boarding school does not mean success just as much as public school does not mean failure. Any student from either place can end up just as successful. I am honored to be accepted and not ashamed of the reason I cannot attend my dream school. I have other amazing offers to take! I am also so grateful (as I hope every applicant is here on cc) that we have parents such as yourself and @twinsmama‌ helping us through the process :slight_smile:

@lifelongnyer @twinsmama sorry, i know this stuff rationally. i didn’t phrase that post right. it’s just frustrating to know that my chances would have been much better had my financial situation been different.

As it has been for us…but we have had a happy ending and I wish one to you (and many others here) as well.

New to CC- Best of luck to all who were accepted!
To everyone who were WL- stay hopeful!!

Well, you win some and lose some. you just have to make the best out of what you have!

I just read this entire discussion from March 7th and I honestly wanna cry. I don’t know how these schools can say no to such amazing people…

@Bulatt: Thank you! You are quite amazing yourself. :slight_smile:

I find it still hilarious that this thread went nuts on the night of March 7, yet on the night of March 9, it considerably cooled down. I think we started freaking out on the wrong day :stuck_out_tongue:

@thelittleswimmer‌ I know! But now is when I’ve been freaking out the most because I have 21 days to choose a school!!

I still don’t know about financial aid :frowning:

Im really sorry @UIButton‌ :frowning: you deserved to get in

I wish FA didn’t play a role in admissions…

@UIButton All of our snail mailings have arrived, basically a letter saying the same thing with emails for waitlists and rejections, but the acceptances came in a larger packet with tuition plans as such. Have you received the acceptance package from school? You can ask your parents to call or email admissions office about it if you haven’t gotten any package in the mail.

I wonder how Mathman is doing, I feel so bad D:! He gave us all such great advice!

@boardingprep1213 Haha, I got waitlisted at all my “safties” and only got accepted at my top choice reach schools. I feel your pain! Not sure what school I should pick, they both are amazing. I am feeling Concord Academy though :)!!