The Official M10 2021 Freakout Thread

Hi, CavsFan2003. My kid got into Choate. The offer of admission said he was accepted as a “Scholar” at Choate Rosemary Hall. Is everyone called a “Scholar,” or is this something special? (I see something on the website about a Head Scholar, but don’t know if that’s to what the letter refers.) Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Great question. We love Pingree. We will wait until the day is over to see what comes in on the FA side of any offers. My DS was very excited! He would be coming in as a sophmore.

1 Like

Can you like post a snippet where of where it mentioned “scholar”? Because while everyone at Choate might be a scholar, there are certainly scholars programs that are not for everyone.

It isn’t the school itself. It’s the administrative team. They won’t let me retake any of my HS credit classes which will force me into the classes and grade level I’m just not ready for. Now I’ll be applying to college a year early with one year less of extracurriculars. Going to a boarding school was the only way for me to escape this and be with people of my age.

Thanks!
It just says “has been admitted as a boarding student in the class of 2025 as a Scholar at Choate Rosemary Hall.”

The “scholar” portion is included in the acceptance letter to my knowledge, might just be a nice acknowledgment seeing as there was no other mention of it.

Yeah if there isn’t another paragraph sort of describing the program, then it’s probably just included in the letter. However, congratulations to your child!!

Mercersburg decisions are out in the portal!

Daughter accepted at Cate and Mercersburg- only applied to those 2.

7 Likes

Regular acceptances do not say “Scholar”. With two kids there, I’ve seen both types of acceptance letters. That is referring to one of the actual scholar programs. You should email your AO for clarification, though they are usually out for several days after M10.

What is the most common first sentence of a rejection or acceptance letter? Just curious

“Congratulations! You have been admitted as a Boarding student in the class of 2024 as a Scholar at Choate Rosemary Hall. On behalf of the admission team, I am thrilled to welcome you to the Choate family!”

No further mention in the acceptance letter, are you sure this means anything?

Congratulations all!

Just a note, if any of you have been having a bad M10, know it can get better. 2 years ago, when I was applying, I woke up to my first decision being a waitlist (sent around midnight the previous night). You never know how the later decisions’ll go :slight_smile:

Anyways, if anyone has any questions about day student life or Lawrenceville, feel free to ping/DM me.

1 Like

Well, maybe it has changed, but that terminology is very confusing, if so.

Last year’s regular acceptance letter began…

Dear ______,
Congratulations!
On behalf of the admission team, I am pleased to offer you a place as a Boarding student in the class of 2024 at Choate Rosemary Hall!

Can confirm from a year before that, my letter said the same thing. Scholar (especially capitalized) is interesting. Wouldn’t hurt to ask an AO!

1 Like

The Scholar acceptance from 3 years ago began…

Dear ______,
Congratulations!
On behalf of Choate Rosemary Hall, I am pleased to offer you a place as a Boarding student in the class of 2022 as a Paul Mellon Scholar!

1 Like

Yeah mine said specifically “…as a Choate Icahn Scholar!”

1 Like

I haven’t gotten all my decisions yet, but so far it’s my top choice!

Mine says Scholar too…

Dear Zoe,

Congratulations! You have been admitted as a Boarding student in the class of 2025 as a Scholar at Choate Rosemary Hall. On behalf of the admission team, I am thrilled to welcome you to the Choate family!

1 Like

Well then, most likely means nothing

Congratulations by the way!