The Official M10 2023 Freakout Thread

Is anyone doing the essays right now? It’s due so soon…

I know, I just finished an interview and am about to start working. I’m so scared that Gateway’s gonna crash again.

yeah i should not have left 3 essays on the last day. Its a miserable experience right now

1 Like

FOR EVERYONE:

Deadlines just got pushed to the 16th of January for Groton. Im suspecting this will also be the case for all other schools due to the gateways crash.

2 Likes

well i think not all the schools. because the ones i applied to didnt eg send an email about deadline change or anything and so it still says j15 for some of the portals

Edit: exeter changed theirs to January 31!

Hi, are J15 application technically due tonight or tomorrow? Can I still submit materials after that? (Essay, Parent statement)

1 Like

Typically if the deadline is Jan 15th then schools mean before midnight on the 15th. Given that there are applications coming in from international students in various time zones all over the world, you should consider it as midnight at the receiving school’s time zone. But seriously, don’t leave it so late that you are debating time zones.

Here’s a previous topic on time zone stamps for Gateway:

School tend to be more flexible with deadlines for some items such as teacher recommendations and transcripts which are generally out of the control of the student. If you have items like this which will be delayed, it is best to communicate directly to the AO at your chosen schools to let them know. I would not recommend submitting essays or parent statements after the J15 deadline since this reflects poorly on the ability to manage workload and deadlines, which is a huge factor in thriving at BS.

It sounds like there is some flux in the deadline this year due to Gateway not being available so there may be some extension of when materials are due. Note that admission offices are likely to be inundated on Monday morning with panicked parents and students having a freak out because of the technical Gateway snafu.

Not to mention that in the USA, Monday is a legal holiday and many schools have it off, so getting a teacher to upload something this weekend may be tricky.

WHY DID I HAVE TO BE AN 11TH GRADER APPLYING WHY WHY WHY IM GONNA CRY MOST LIKELY SOMEFOOTBALL GUYS WHO SUCK GET IN OVER ME MY LIFE IS OVER

list of schools:
Choate*
Deerfield*
Hotchkiss
Thacher
Loomis
Webb (Cali)
Putney
Exeter
Suffield
St. Pauls

2 Likes

There are still people that get for 11th grade that aren’t recruited athletes. It’s just not as likely. If you have a good application, which even if you think you don’t you probably do, you will likely get into two or three of these schools.

oh i posted my stats on my posts. you cn check to see if ill make it or not lol

Have any of you received emails from schools notifying you that your application is complete? I got from some schools, but not all.

3 Likes

Lawrenceville has so far for me

1 Like

We heard from most of our schools but not all. Sometimes it takes a day or two for the systems to update, and there was a US holiday on Monday.

My daughter received emails the next day from two, but the other four she didn’t get one until she sent an email about a week later asking if everything was complete and in. At that point, they all sent an email back with a confirmation.

For one of those schools, they have a portal and she should have received an automatic email when she submitted her fees back in December. They had no idea why she didn’t and it’s a good thing she sent the email last week to get access to the portal.

1 Like

Was it Choate, by any chance?

We never got access to the portal, and by the time I noticed (um, Saturday) it seemed too late to ask about it. So we’re just hoping for the best…

2 Likes

It was not Choate. I would first check spam folders in email (we have had a number of admissions-related emails end up there) and then, if you still don’t have something, contact the AO you have been in touch with (interview, etc) and ask them to confirm everything was received on their end.

2 Likes

Feedback on this abbreviation of schools:

CLASHED GM

1 Like

As someone who goes to one of those schools, I’m gonna be honest, it doesn’t really matter; we’re not a “HADES” or anything, but after you get here, it’s not really something you think about at all.

Day student applying to:

Dexter
Tabor
St. Marks
Rivers
Beaver
BB&N
Lawrence Academy
Middlesex
Worcester Academy

3 Likes