The Official M10 2023 Freakout Thread

Careful. People will tell you they are well versed in BS and day students’ commute distances and probably tell you the poster probably has several houses to make this all possible. :roll_eyes: People don’t like it when you point out the obvious.

2 Likes

Actually, I think it’s a case where one parent (or both) will move near the school.

11 Likes

Joining waiting game (last one is finally complete).

5 schools, all day student applications for 9th- not rank ordered
BUA
Commonwealth
Concord Academy
CSW
Rivers

4 Likes

I think they’re an international student who’s parents will move to the area to which they are accepted to.

4 Likes

Don’t even have to be international—I know a guy who moved from NJ to CT to go to Choate, and another who did vice versa to attend Lawrenceville.

4 Likes

Yep I’ve heard stories like that.

2 Likes

I think this question fits best here: How much is the typical deposit put down on April 10th?

4 Likes

Great question! As we think about how much of the yearly bonus to put into savings/investments/etc, this would be really good information to have so we can keep this amount on hand (and cross our fingers our daughter is accepted somewhere).

1 Like

Which is primarily why I asked. We would need to know how much cash to have on hand earmarked for that. I didn’t know if it was $1000 or $10,000.

I believe I read that the first half of annual tuition is due June or July 1, or the first payment of any installment plan.

1 Like

And yes, I am also crossing fingers this is an actual issue for us, and not a hypothetical. Good luck to your daughter.

4 Likes

The deposit amount varies by school but it isnt insignificant (can be 10% of tuition) - they want commitments to attend, not “placeholders” waiting on wait lists/other options

5 Likes

The school we chose was 10%.

7 Likes

That’s about what we were expecting - thank you for sharing your personal experience.

5 Likes

Deposit for BS is high enough that you do think long and hard about de-committing.
10% was pretty typical from our experience.
(So when we found out colleges were usually a few hundred $ last year with our oldest daughter, we were shocked!)

3 Likes

From what I remember, mine at Lawrenceville was just $1,000.

A college I recently got into has a deposit of $300, and I know a few people who got into places with $0 deposits—you just check a box. I’m honestly glad that deposits are trending down.

3 Likes

40 days until March 10th.

Fun Fact: March 10th is the 69th day of the year.

4 Likes

There’s a reason they use 40 days and 40 nights to signify “a really long time” in the Bible! It feels like forever! :rofl:

3 Likes

Hello all,
After reading this thread I went back and looked at emails… looks like my DS has ‘application complete’ notifications from every school but one… Loomis Chaffee. When I went to the portal it said three items were missing! When I logged onto Gateway it said those items had indeed been submitted back in December. I quickly emailed the AO and he assured me that it was no problem and they were still downloading the ‘thousands’ of applications from Gateway, and if anything was missing they would reach out and let us know. I think we can all take comfort in that. DS also submitted a late SSAT score due to unforeseen circumstances, and all the schools accepted those with no problem (99%, with 800 quant, 800 vocab!) His schools:
Exeter
Andover
Choate
Loomis Chaffee
Deerfield
Milton
Lawrenceville

Good luck to all!

5 Likes

Same issue here with a few schools. Handed in all apps by Jan 15th, but the status was only updated to “completed” yesterday.

Also, kudos to your son for the impressive SSAT score, congratulations!

Daughter just received another invitation to a school portal about an hour ago, so not every school gives you a portal right away at all (she submitted her application to this school in mid-December). Maybe they only send the portal info after the deadline has passed for this particular school? Although that still leaves two weeks from the deadline to the portal access. Anyway, just sharing in case there are others who are still waiting on some sort of confirmation that their application is complete.

6 Likes