The Official UC Chance Thread

<p>um most likely in at merced, riverside and santa cruz, but if you get your ACt and SAT II scores up then likely for Irvine, Santa Barbara and Davis</p>

<p>I applied undeclared to the college of L&S for berkeley, engineering school undeclared for UCLA and bioengineering/computer science for UCSD.</p>

<p>here are my stats:</p>

<p>Rank 2 or 3, a-g GPA 4.5, unweighted 4.0, in state</p>

<p>SAT Reasoning: (what im worried about)
1st time CR 620 M 800 W 690- 2110
2nd time CR 680 M 710 (i know…) W 740 - 2130</p>

<p>SAT Subjects: Chemistry 800, Math 2 800, Spanish 800, US History 770, Chinese 800</p>

<p>AP Tests: got all 5s on Human Geography, World History, Microeconomics, Chinese, Chemistry, Calc BC, English Lang, Spanish Lang, Biology, Physics C Mech, US History</p>

<p>Currently taking AP stats, AP english lit, AP spanish lit, and AP art history and two college classes, poli sci and italian.</p>

<p>EC’s: volunteered at the public library since freshman year (270 hrs), later given a paid job junior year there (i work 10 hours a week), also volunteered for 140 hours at the hospital.</p>

<p>Science Olympiad for 4 years, treasurer</p>

<p>Organized a test prep book donation/recycling program at my school, collected 82 used ap prep books during junior year and checked them out for free to this year’s incoming students.</p>

<p>co host of a podcast, biweekly episodes</p>

<p>Got a partial scholarship from the local Rotary Club to do a summer exchange in Spain</p>

<p>Currently working with the public library to plan to offer free chinese classes there for the local community. (first class in jan…if everything works out…i guess this doesnt count)</p>

<p>I have less than average SAT scores for cal, and had a huge drop in my math score (800 to 710) the 2nd time i took it. Does this affect my chances?</p>

<p>thanks a bunch!</p>

<p>Unless you’re seeing different information than I am seeing, you have above average SAT scores for admits and enrolees at Berkeley. No worries there. </p>

<p>If you get denied anywhere, it would probably be on the basis of your individual college choice (maybe they’d give you your alternate?), but I don’t think that is all that likely even with the math drop.</p>

<p>How badly does a D on a transcript hurt you at UCs… (10th-11th grade but in a course that counts as “elective” because all the units are fulfilled in that subject)…?</p>

<p>Chance my please. Thank you</p>

<p>GPA: 3.98 UW/ 4.4 W RANK 3/782
SAT 1: 1st 1830 2nd 1860 3rd 1760
SAT 2: MATH 2-700/CHEM-730/US-HISTORY-680
AP SCHOLAR: LANGUAGE-2,EUROPEAN HISTORY-3,CHEMISTRY-4,US HISTORY-5
QUESTBRIDGE FINALIST
CONCURRENTLY ENROLLED AT CSUN: 2 CLASSES</p>

<p>EC:
SCIENCE BOWL 2 YEARS (CO-CAPTAIN)
ACADEMIC DECATHLON 4 YEARS (CAPTAIN)
WORLD SCHOLAR’S CUP 1 YEAR (CO-CAPTAIN)
JOURNALISM
ALPINE BASKETBALL LEAGUE 4 YEARS
COMMUNITY SERVICE 156 HOURS
LOW INCOME/FIRST GENERATION
ASIAN MALE/ IMMIGRATED HERE IN 2000 (FROM VIETNAM)</p>

<p>SENIOR YEAR: AP GOV, AP CALC BC, AP PHYSICS C, AP BIOLOGY, H LIT, JOURNALISM</p>

<p>UC SCHOOLS: BERKELEY, LA, SD</p>

<p>I’d really appreciate a chance assessment… I’m pretty new to this and still trying to figure it out. I got denied across the board last year because I never took English Composition (I took the CLEP while I was in the military and never needed to take the course).</p>

<p>transfer application to UCSD, UCB, and UCD for Poli Sci</p>

<p>Veteran, been out about a year and taking all my prerequisites for UC system at a community college. Should have As across the board for this school. Ineligible for transfer admission guarantee because I haven’t taken enough units in a CCC.</p>

<p>AA from Defense Language Institute, GPA 3.6 on 45 units
AAS from the Air Force, all pass/no pass courses (not my choice, hopefully they understand)
Took some online IT classes, all pass/no pass, probably no transferable credit</p>

<p>During high school, I took some courses at the local community college (1999 or so). One of them was a D and one was an F (drop never processed, apparently)</p>

<p>High School:
SATs took two times, 750 Verbal 650 Math, 710 Verbal 720 Math.
Only two AP classes, 3 in Statistics and 4 in US History</p>

<p>Various normal awards and employment history, do on-and-off volunteering</p>

<p>Thanks for any help or advice!</p>

<p>thanks in advance</p>

<p>what are my chances at:
ucb
ucla
ucsd
ucd
ucsb
uci
and also if you can usc</p>

<p>also for berkeley’s case is there a big difference between Fall admit chances and spring admit chances?</p>

<p>intended major- biology/ Integrative Biology/ physiology, you know what i mean</p>

<ol>
<li><p>GPA:
3.65 UC gpa, 4.00 gpa weighted. i have taken 12 honors/ap classes freshman to junior year. This year i am taking AP Biology and AP Calculus AB which are the last two ap/honors classes my school offers. </p></li>
<li><p>Test Scores:
32 act
700 Math 2
700 u.s. history</p></li>
<li><p>Personal statements: </p></li>
<li><p>i mentioned my parents car crash when i was a freshman on how both my parents became disabled and how i had to take care of my mom, dad, and 7 year old bro.</p></li>
<li><p>I also wrote about how the hard enviroment i grew in has shaped me to become a strong, passionate, perservering, and respected leader. </p></li>
<li><p>Extracurricular:
Volunteer:
200 hr. at local hospital (i wrote in my statement on how i started going to the hospital to just get volunteer hours but in the end i want to be a doctor when i grow up) </p></li>
</ol>

<p>clubs/sports ( i only joined a few so i can have a leadership position in all

1. 4 year nhs (President 2009)
  2. 4 year csf (secratery 2009)
  3. 4 year mesa (secratery 2009)
  4. 4 year track and field (Captain, 3 year varsity, and 2 time defending league champ.)</p>

<p>awards:

1. Ap scholar
  2. 2008 most improved thrower (made a 45 foot improvement in the discus from freshman year to sopomore year
  3. 2008-2009 league champ </p>

<ol>
<li>other information</li>
<li>low income family only makes about 52k a year</li>
<li>neither of my parents have a degree (shouldn’t this factor in a little bit?)</li>
<li>im from california</li>
<li>im top 10% in my class of 750 </li>
</ol>

<p>also where would be the perfect mix for a premed and as my name says a future ent surgeon?</p>

<p>3.46 weighted
1960 SAT
720 US History
470 Spanish</p>

<p>Applied:
UCI
UCSB
UCSC
UCR</p>

<p>I’m mainly hoping to get into Santa Cruz</p>

<p>Guys, calm down. There’s no point worrying about chancings this late in the game. Just wait one month for decisions to come out.</p>

<p>There are juniors, like me, who read these to get a good idea of which schools to apply. (I’m applying to all.)</p>

<p>Don’t stress if you get into a UC freshman years, folks. Both my kids went to community college (egads!) and knocked out the general ed classes the state requires. Instead of sitting with 400 kids in English they had 60 kids at the jc. They transferred to UCLA and UCI this years as juniors. trouble keeping up? Nope. Guess they learned a lot in those smaller classses. Saved the folks a bundle, too. ($25 a unit, anyone?).</p>

<p>^^^^^
thats good and all but people that want to be doctors cannot go to a community college medical schools frown upon science courses taken at the college</p>

<p>for any other major i agree with you</p>

<p>^ While frowned upon, it isn’t significant enough to get your app thrown in the trash. However, I think a lot of students experience a dip in grades right when they transfer, as they adjust to the new workload. That would hurt chances. Also, I think there are research opportunities lost because they weren’t in contact with the professors for the first 2 years. That would also potentially hurt. Just my thoughts.</p>

<p>enemyunit. Agreed.</p>

<p>I’m curious how much having a significant disability would affect my chances for admission. I received the supplimental from UCLA and Cal but I’m not sure if the other schools I applied to will factor it in- UCD, UCI, UCSD, and UCSB. I have average stats (3.5 UC GPA, 1790 SAT- SAT II 640 and 650, above average ECs and killer essays). And now I suppose I’m just panicking.</p>

<p>I’m sure the other colleges will read them in your personal statement. It seems that UCLA and UCB have learned of your disability and are giving you a supplement – do your best on those supplements as those can REALLY help you gain admissions to UCLA and UCB.</p>

<p>Thanks for the help. I’ve already submitted the suppliments for those two schools and I’m not too worried. Truthfully, I’m more concerned about the other UCs, specifically Davis and Santa Barbara.</p>

<p>HidingInACorner: UC Davis and UCSD I know would give you extra points for a disability (they use point system)</p>

<p>I think Santa Barbara might use point system as well? I never checked, but I’m sure that ANY university would acknowledge a disability as having hindered your academic success.</p>

<p>Good luck to us all come march!</p>

<p>Thanks for the help- and good luck</p>

<p>Hello! I didn’t really want to start a new thread to ask this question, so I’m hoping someone here might be able to answer it. </p>

<p>Will the admissions people mainly look at my UC GPA, or will they look at the weighted/unweighted GPA I’ve gotten by my school’s standards? (By school’s standards I mean, adding extra points for honors/AP courses not approved for extra honors credit by the UC) </p>

<p>I’m concerned that only 3 of the 8 honors/AP classes I’ve taken in my sophomore/junior year are awarded extra points by the UC.</p>