The Stack vs. Rise

<p>Any thoughts on comparing these two brand new properties? Good for Freshman? Are many Freshman leasing at either of these!? Thanks for info!</p>

<p>We toured both and they are nice. My DD signed a lease with the Stack. Mainly because 4 suite was more affordable at The Stack. They are both close to campus and we really wanted our DD to be close the first year. Don’t think you could go wrong with either. My DD will be a Freshmen at Mays.</p>

<p>@ collegenfo: It’s hard to tell when you can’t see them until they are built (have been through this before in Austin when older child moved to a new property near UT). We found that about all you can look at when they aren’t completed yet: 1) the square footage listed on the various plans, (2)the price + (3) what is included. Parking is slightly less at the Stack, and they will cover all utilities (up to a certain amount for the electricity).
Have a son who will be a junior moving to the Stack because, though still expensive, they are not as expensive as the Rise, especially when considering that the electricity bill gets billed back the next month at the Rise. He really wants to be right across the street from the Engineering part of TAMU campus where all his classes are, so he’s moving out from his present 4 BR about 4 miles from campus where he has lived with friends who don’t mind the drive & park hassle to save some money.
Many people feel that it’s good for freshmen to be in on-campus dorms the first year; however, when they are as close as either the Stack or Rise, it really shouldn’t be much different as long as your child is comfortable with whom s/he will be rooming in either situation. And, from having both a daughter and a son who started at big universities, I know that girls dislike sharing bathrooms in dorms more than the guys do.</p>

<p>Yes Carolein, the shared bathroom in dorm was the deal breaker for my dd!</p>

<p>Well i looked at the stack first and thought it was great, but after i seen rise my mind was blown and forgot what stack looked like. (all online)</p>

<p>Yes it was very impressive but also more expensive. Also if you are in a hurry to get to class, it takes a lot longer to wait for elevator when you have 18 floors as compared to 5 floors!</p>

<p>Good point about the wait, etxcat. And both places are expensive, so why pay more when they’re both in the same part of town where convenience is the point?</p>

<p>Yes they are both expensive! My DD will probably live in an apartment the second year!</p>

<p>@Etxcat–I don’t know-- if her situation is like his, she may not want to move somewhere too far from campus. My son didn’t get his 1st or 2nd choices for parking in the 2nd year, and that’s a pain, to park in West Side, then hustle across to engineering side of campus, especially when it’s windy or raining. The wind is rough on the bike riders, and no one wants to walk in rain that far. And, even harder for the girls.</p>