The summer session of Penn State

Does anyone know about the six-week summer session of Penn State University? Is it that I can register for this summer session and be admitted to the Park campus

I’m not sure I understand the question. I assume this is for an incoming freshman?

There are many reasons an incoming freshman might choose to start the summer session.

1. athletic. varsity athlete. Coach wants them there to start training and get ahead on academics.

2. required by admissions for UP campus. There are always students who fall ‘on the bubble’ for fall start at UP. Admissions will offer them the opportunity to start summer to be enrolled at UP instead of a different campus. This is only if you have checked “I will start summer” on your application. This is also a requirement of admissions and you cannot magically ask and be admitted for fall if you are offered summer. Usually start in LEAP.

3. student chooses to start summer. Many different reasons, but it is a great way for incoming freshman to ease the transition to college. They typically start in LEAP also. Allows incoming student to figure out dorm living, cafeteria, learn campus, make friends. Makes the fall transition easier.

LEAP is its own program - you take 6 credits (2 classes) with a “pride” - the same group of 24 students. Each pride usually includes either Engl 15 or SPCOM (both freshman requirements) and then can either take a gen ed or take a class in your intended major. They are set up by the LEAP office. While next year’s prides are not listed, you can check out what they offered in 2023 as an example.
https://summersession.psu.edu/first-year-students-university-park

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.