The U?!

<p>So...is UMiami's nickname "The U?" I just heard my friend say "so are you still waiting for your admission letter from the u?" and I was like...um which university? And she was like "you know, The U! Miami in Florida?!" And then I thought it was like TheU.com kind of u...but I'm assuming it has to be some nickname.</p>

<p>Is that because of the confusing between MU in ohio and UM in florida (they have to say THE U?) i don't know haha. just a random question :P.</p>

<p>"This place is private not public. We have as many people in our school as you do in your class. But we'll still kick your ass in football. We dont pay to go to the games and the stadium may be 20 minutes away- but we drink in it. We pre-game like you party. We live where you vacation. We suntan while you freeze. We party harder then you know how to. And the places we party you've only seen on TV. We're going to the next bar while you're passing out. It's ok to be jealous. We understand your animosity. We live the life you wish you had. And of over 4000 universities and over 1700 division 1 schools, only one is simply known as "The U"</p>

<p>Better than your school since 1925..."</p>

<p>People just starting calling it the U, because of its logo, and because it's the best university. And especially during football season with Michael Irvin as a sports commentator.</p>

<p>hey jeremy, here's the reason:</p>

<p>The U</p>

<p>In 1973, UM’s Athletic Federation, the fund raising arm of the athletic department at the the time, commissioned a local public relations expert to develop a distinctive logo. The University had gone several years with a variety of helmet and uniform changes and the Federation noted that a number of major colleges have the initials UM. Miami designer Bill Bodenheimer suggested the “U” idea, which lent itself to slogans like “U gotta believe” and “U is great”. </p>

<p>This is the only University that is known as the "U".</p>