The Ultimate Guide to Navigating the Kelley School of Business at IU - Read Latest Comment for Working Link

Hi, I can’t pm you for some reason but I’ve been lurking cc for some time and recently made an account. I am a senior in high school and applied to Indiana but unfortunately wasn’t accepted into the Kelley Business School. I know that I want to go into business and major in Finance and Kelley was my best option granted that I get in. Now I would be applying for Standard Admission but still had a couple questions for you. I looked at the grade distributions and other posts and have a general idea of a schedule. Do you have any insights/help on a attainable schedule that will help me get into Kelley as a standard admit seeing as I have to keep a 3.5 and nothing lower than a B-

Also if you know anything about the Investment Banking workshop and how one may go about getting in that would really help.

Thanks!

@EnvyMe pm me. Happy to help out and answer any questions.

I can’t actually pm since I am a new member. Is there another way I can contact you like email or Facebook?

@dodoodododo If you start a PM, EnvyMe should be able to respond. I don’t have any experience with the IBW so I’m guessing you’re more knowledgeable than me on that.

@iubaccounting - I believe you graduated last weekend- Congratulations! Thanks for all that you have done for this page.
What are your plans for the future? Best wishes to you.

1 Like

Thanks! I will be starting as an accountant full-time at DFAS in August. Right now, I’m studying full-time for the CPA exams.

@1S1Dforcollege

1 Like

@iubaccounting - good luck on the exam! I am sure Kelley did a great job preparing you for your career! My son is a year behind you- hoping he is also on his way to his chosen career at this time next year!

1 Like

@iubaccounting Thanks so much for all the info, I constantly read these forums because I will be in Kelley this fall. I was going to PM you a question but it seems they changed the system so I need 15 posts in order to do that, so I will be messaging you soon if you don’t mind. Thanks so much.

1 Like

I’m attending Kelley this fall and am majoring in accounting. I am not on track to be at 150 hours by the end of 4 years, so I plan on going a fifth year and getting my Master’s so I can get the hour requirement for CPA. Does this extra year affect anything with hiring, jobs, etc. because I’ve heard companies asking students being interviewed if they are on track for 150 hours by the end of 4 years? Sorry this is long, but thanks a lot for taking the time.

1 Like

@joed02 It would affect your job search - it basically just pushes everything back one year. Most people who intern with the big 4 accounting firms (you certainly don’t have to - I didn’t) get an internship the summer after their junior year, and then start full-time in August or September of the year they graduate.

Most recruiting happens in the fall, so you would just recruit for full-time positions in the fall of your 5th year rather than your 4th year like most people do. You definitely want to try to get an internship between your 4th and 5th year, which you would recruit for during the fall of your 4th year.

So essentially, you will recruit exactly the same as everyone else, but the timeline is just 1 year later because you have an extra year on the end. Companies will not care and they understand that many students need more than 4 years to get the hours. You can also get an internship before the summer after your 4th year, but if you don’t, it’s not the end of the world. It would be harder to get an internship after your junior year because firms often like to hire interns that are one year away from graduating.

Also, I would highly recommend the Kelley 3/2 MBA program for your 5th year over the MSA program. Both are 5 years, but with the 3/2, you get an MBA instead of an MSA. The MSA is essentially worthless other than being a vehicle to get more credits for the 150. The MBA is far more valued by employers.

@iubaccounting Ok, thanks so much for clearing that up. I was looking into the 3/2 MBA, but I read places where it stated it was worthless because companies didn’t see it as a “real MBA”. Didn’t really know how to feel about that. Also, one more question: what would you recommend as a competitive GPA within Kelley(something to strive for)?

@joed02

The 3/2 might be “worthless” at the very beginning of your career (you’ll probably get very similar starting roles as people without it), and I have heard similar things about some people having less respect than a traditional MBA, but I think it’s pretty well-respected overall, especially after you get a few years into your career.

Based on my understanding, the MSA will always be worthless, but the MBA will actually help you after you have worked for a while.

You can pretty much get a job at any company recruiting at IU if you have a 3.5 GPA or higher, so I would definitely try to stay above that if you can. I think the average Kelley graduate has like a 3.3-3.4. But that doesn’t count the large number of students who try to make it into Kelley and fail.

Hi! I don’t know if you’re still responding on this forum but I’m hoping so. Regarding the 3/2 program, what made you decide against it? Also, do you know if there’s any information about where kids who go through that program place after getting their masters? Including the ones that go a data analytics route rather than accounting. Trying to decide between those two. Thank you.

1 Like

Hey, I’m happy to answer your question but am busy now and don’t want to forget about it. If I don’t respond in the next day or so, please feel free to follow up. I got an email alert from you posting your last message so you should be able to do that and/or PM.

So to answer your question, the main reason why I decided not to do the 3/2 was I was able to get 150 credits to sit for the CPA exam in 4 years. I brought in roughly 30 credits from AP classes in high school, so I was always able to keep a manageable schedule.

Obviously, different companies and different people will value things differently, but I talked to a lot of people, and most of them didn’t think the MBA would be extremely valuable for a few reasons. One, the main reason why most people get MBAs is to do some sort of career pivot after they already have work experience. Since you probably have no work experience, you can’t do that. Two, the overall value of an MBA seems to be going down. This is somewhat anecdotal, but from talking to people working in accounting, it seems like the MBA used to be significantly more valuable than it is today, and employers don’t care about it as much. If you’re going into accounting, the CPA is almost universally seen as more important. And three, after working for a little bit (I’ve been working for roughly 1.5 years), you realize how little of what you learn in school is actually important for your job. Obviously some things will be useful, but nobody is going to put an exam on how to do consolidations or pension accounting at work. Most of what you need will be taught on the job, regardless of whether you have an MBA or not. It pretty much took me until I was done with school to realize that the real value of school (assuming you perform adequately and graduate) is the relationships you build with people rather than the actual content you learn. Except maybe Excel, that’s definitely useful lol.

The MBA offers value in terms of networking - you’re going to meet a lot of new people, and maintaining those relationships could certainly allow you to progress more quickly in your career. But for me, it wasn’t really worth paying a lot of money to get a degree that I ultimately don’t think will make much of a difference, especially in the beginning. And later, I could always decide to get another degree if I really want to.

I found some salary stats for the 3/2 program and also a list of top companies, but not sure if they have companies broken down by percentage.

I would also encourage you to pursue the data analytics/information systems side of things if that’s what you’re interested in. The classes where I learned Excel and VBA have been significantly more valuable to me at work than the accounting classes, so I would suggest taking as many coding classes as possible, even if you don’t want to become a full-time developer. If you have any interest in coding at all, I highly recommend it because it will make you extremely valuable if you know how to do it. I did the technology management co-major, and honestly, the VBA class I took from that was my most useful class I took at Kelley.

I would be surprised if I ever got an MBA, but I could see myself potentially doing a program like the MSIS at some point down the line. I’ve heard good things about the program, and you can make more money with that sort of skillset. To be completely honest, I think the MSIS would be more valuable even if you didn’t want to work in tech. The CPA review courses will teach you everything you need to know for the CPA exam as long as you put in the work, so even if you want to be a CPA and not work a true tech job, I think the MSIS would give you a much more valuable set of skills. And you could easily pivot to a more tech-focused career if later if you wanted to. This all assumes you have somewhat of an interest in coding/analytics/databases, but if you do, I would pursue that as much as possible!

This got very rambly and probably unorganized, so please feel free to ask any follow-up questions!

Scrolled back a few years and found you were in the ACE program. I know you’re out of school now, but do you have any idea of how many they accept vs. waitlist?

I want to say it was about 100 when I was in it but that was over 5 years ago and I have no idea if it’s changed

Any advice on IFS or Bus-X 170 for the intersession class?

Anyone here has access to this document or a copy? This young man is very helpful.

Hello,
The link didn’t work. Any chance you could pls post it again?
Tysm!