The Ultimate Supply List for Boarding School

<p>Actually, i'm not off to any schools yet. :( Still shopping and getting booklets and considering.</p>

<p>I got my boyfriend a webcam for christmas. It was $50 and it's amazing, but the guy at the store told me there's not much of a difference between that one and the more expensive ones. Like risingjunior said, you could get 2 for $22. I wouldn't think you would end up having to spend more than $100 though.</p>

<p>EDIT- Thinkgeek has giant microbes. I love those things. My 9th grade biology teacher had the ebola one and I really wanted it.</p>

<p>well, thanks!
you guys know EVERYTHING don't you?!?!?!
:)</p>

<p>It's okay Christi!
This "Shoping time" is SO exciting. I wish you All the luck in the world!!!</p>

<p>I did purchase my daughter a webcam for Christmas at BestBuy. I forget the brand but it cost $39.99. She loves it and it works fine. Both of my son's laptops (Dell Inspirons) came with the Webcam built in. It is great because they are scattered all over and miss eachother. The do love to spend time chatting on their webcams.</p>

<p>My D has put a webcam as #1 on her list of things to have at BS, if she is lucky enough to get to go.</p>

<p>I reinforced all the buttons for son's shirts and pants.
I don't think he will use the sewing kit, even we let him bring one to BS.</p>

<p>bump, btw how much clothes should we be bringing???do most people go through more than 1 outfit per day????
:p</p>

<p>Possible! One outfit per day and gym clothes, pajama .....
Is there laundry service at BS ?</p>

<p>Some of the schools do have a laundry service (for an extra fee). Or, the students can use self-service laundry machines in the dorms. I think we are going to use the laundry service for the first year...just one less thing for a new student to have to worry about.</p>

<p>At some schools, the laundry service fee is mandatory. My son's school has a mandatory laundry service fee and free washers and dryers in the dorms as well. He goes through LOTS of clothes....an outfit for the day, sports practice outfit, a different outfit after sports, sweatpants or pj bottoms and a tee for bed.</p>

<p>Also, if the school has a formal dresscode, many students will shange out of their class attire, in lieu of more casual clothes after class, so that's 2 outfits, 1 sports uniform/practice gear, and pj's</p>

<p>I heard that there are some social occasions once on a while. Do I need a special dress for the social events?</p>

<p>good question..i would like to know too...</p>

<p>I know at one school (Middlesex) they have random dance, where everyone dresses randomly, but you just need clothes that don't match for that. They had a Halloween dance too, but it seemed like everyone just got their costumes from online. Then there's prom, which most of you probably won't be going to next year because you'll be freshmen and sophomores. I'm sure you can get into the nearest city for some shopping when the time comes though. I would have a couple nice dresses/suits on hands just in case though. I doubt they have to be extravagant.</p>

<p>bump :) :p</p>

1 Like

<p>
[quote]
Do I need a special dress for the social events?

[/quote]
My daughter attended 3 "fancy" dress parties her freshman year. It really depends on the school.</p>

<p>bump......dont wanna lose this tread</p>

<p>I have no idea what to bring...Anyone made a complete list so far of this thread or a significant one? Can they repost?</p>

<p>This is a complete list I have made for myself.</p>

<p>FURNITURE
Cushy Chair
Bookshelf
Nightstand
Extra Lamps
Full-Length Mirror
Shoe Rack</p>

<p>ELECTRONICS
iPod
iPod speakers/alarm clock
Camera