The Wait List

Can someone link to the most useful posts? I can’t really find them since this is so long

I think one of them is 1893? I was looking at it earlier and if you scroll up a bit from there the full post should be there

1 Like

Alright!

waitlisted at deerfield and choate what is the probability of getting off the waitlist and what steps should i take to increase my chances?

1 Like

you might want to scroll up

thanks!

What to do if you get waitlisted at your first choice school :

Here’s the drill :

If you receive a WL decision from your first choice school and an acceptance from another school- the steps are pretty simple:

1. Accept a place on the WL via email with Delivery and Read Receipts.
  2. Schedule a Revisit Day and put the WL school OUT OF YOUR MIND for now. Go to Revisit Day and have a great time.

You’ll have one month for the WL to shakeout and to make a decision about the other school . If you want to go the distance with the WL school ( WITHOUT jeopardizing the other school ) you’ll have until A9. On A8 have your PARENT call the WL school and ask to speak to the DOA. Tell WL school that you have to act on an acceptance from another school before the deadline but you’d like to check WL status ( one last time ) before you do. If they tell you that they’re NOT going to the WL or they don’t expect much movement- thank them and have them remove your name from the WL.

It’s time to MOVE ON unless you choose to stay on the WL. If WL school miraculously does come through ( after A10 ) you’ll have to break your commitment with the other school and forfeit your deposit (which is NOT a mere bag of shells, by the way ) . Personally, I could never take this route because I’m waaay too frugal and I like closure .

I’m also big on keeping commitments- but that’s just me. So- now we’re one or two days away from the deadline…

1. Now that you’ve given the WL time to play out ( and you can walkaway and never wonder because you’ve seen it through to the end… ) : Have your parent call the school ( you’ll be attending ) and tell them the deposit check is on it’s way via FedEx.

THE END. LOVE THE SCHOOL THAT LOVES YOU. PERIOD.

Now, If you’re handed all Waitlists without any acceptances … Here’s basically what you need to know :

Unfortunately, all you can do is remain calm. Out of the gate, I highly recommend that a WL student sends an email to all the school (s) just as I outlined in Step One above. Then the waiting truly begins because the AOs are completely focused on accepted students and Revisit Days until A10.

Yes, a waitlist parent can call an AO M10-A10 to echo what was said in their child’s WL email, or to get a WL status update, but just remember where the AO focus is ( as cruel as that sounds- I’m so sorry! ), and please remember that all interaction between you and the AO truly matters. IMHO- it’s better to remain cool, upbeat and patient at all times . Persistence ( aka stalking ) has worked out well according for some persistent parents… but it has also backfired miserably on numerous parents , too. Everyone operates differently and I’m not here to tell anyone what to do… just do what feels best and works well for your family.

If I had to pick two days for a WL parent to call ( after the M10 student email accepting a place on the WL ) , I would pick the day after their last scheduled revisit day ( see school website ) and A11- the day after contracts/ deposits are due… but that’s just me. I think it’s perfectly fine to call anytime before or on A9, too. Just NOT on A10… because it’s absolutely nuts in every BS AO office that day.

*** THIS IS IMPORTANT *** Before and after A10, you’ll hear about some WL movement here on CC. You’ll also see discouraging posts saying that your school has closed their WL. Please DISREGARD these posts unless you’ve received the SAME letter, email, or you were told the same information over the phone by the AO. You may not be receiving the same information for a good reason.

Most schools send out a blanket notification to all families when they officially close their WL… While some ( forgive me ) will leave you languishing in the desert forever.

FWIW- even though it’s rare, some Waitlist movement can happen before school begins in late August / early September. Movement can also occur in July, too … because that’s when the big money is due, but please don’t hang your hat on it. Life intervenes, plans change and spots at BSs do open up, but sadly it’s still very rare to be offered a spot .

The best WL advice that I’ve heard during M10-A10 ( and beyond ) is to keep an open heart, keep doing all the things you love , and keep moving forward . If you need to pause and vent- there are plenty of veterans ( parents and students ) that are here for you… many who have experienced exactly what you’re going though and could give much better WL advice than I can. So definitely reach out if you need to - even if it’s for a lousy cyber hug.

Also important: You may need a Plan B…

If you get completely shutout on M10 and BS enrollment for next fall is an absolute must either because you don’t have a viable school option at home, or your child just really, really, really, really wants to go ( which happens more often than most people think … ) … I recommend researching schools with forgiving admission rates and compiling a list with DOA phone numbers attached NOW. Also- maybe look at some single sex schools so you’ll be ready to act quickly ( if you need to ) just before or soon after A10.

Tip: You won’t be alone. I know many families who were unsuccessful with their Hail Mary placement efforts post A10 - mainly because they clung to a stupid Waitlist too long instead of contacting other schools- so don’t delay! Just do it and don’t look back. You never know- the Post A10 Hail Mary school might just be where you were meant to be all along. File it under: Sometimes things happen for a reason. :slight_smile:

Regardless of what your BS dreams are today - families ( who truly want or need BS placement for next year ) should have at least one " Plan B- What If… WL- Rejection- BS Zombie Apocalypse " conversation prior to M10 . Perhaps take some time to explore and discuss other possible- future BS options/ alternatives together… just in case the apocalypse comes . I know it’s very unpleasant , and you certainly don’t want to dampen spirits right now, raise your blood pressure, or throw a wet blanket on good vibes leading up to M10, but IMHO, you really have nothing to lose and everything to gain by having a “what if” talk now ( while everything is calm ), and a Plan B ready to go just in case.

Wow- that was really unpleasant and long, but I hope it helps. All the best and good luck M10!! And I’ll definitely have my fingers crossed that you won’t need any of this! :slight_smile:

17 Likes

She’s back!!!

5 Likes

Let’s go back to PLAN B for a very long-winded second !

Having a Plan B prior to M10 doesn’t only apply to full pay students/ families. If you require ANY amount of aid ( including a full ride ), it would behoove you to have a Plan B in place, too!! FWIW- Many BSs don’t always award all their FA just to award it on M10. Sometimes they’d rather reserve some of it for when the right candidate or candidates come along. Sometimes a post A10- Hail Mary applicant can be “The One” they’ve been looking for all along and boom- that student is accepted post A10 with FA.

Maybe you cold call a BS ( not on your original list ) after A10, and they encourage you to apply because someone that very morning gave up their spot and FA, and there isn’t a viable candidate/ app next in line… ( not that they would EVER disclose that information to you ), but I’m sure you can see how luck, determination, and timing ( see BS Gods ) can sometimes play a major role with late placement .

Post FA scenarios- especially the "Where have you been all my life - You’re a perfect fit for us " admissions scenario is always considered fairly rare, but it can- and it does happen- sometimes more often than people think! Without getting anyone’s hopes up too much- you just can’t possibly know if this could be your ultimate outcome unless you try- Hence - Plan B!

First, everyone ( FP and FA ) needs a new and improved mindset: Regardless of your stellar mind-blowing stats and Carnegie Hall appearances ( I know… I know… ) - I strongly suggest compiling a Plan B list of schools taken from the Top 25-50 - which should include some amazing iconic single sex schools. Heck- they’re all pretty amazing and iconic! But be forewarned- these schools are also the top choice for many discerning top students and their families. Just know that before going in… they’re quite popular and have a cult like following like Top Ten schools have , too…

Just not here on CC for whatever bizarre reason.

If you get unpleasant results on M10 just remember this : YOU chose schools that have the most unforgiving acceptance rates in the universe, but that fact doesn’t make other schools in the Top 25-50 " less than" or somehow beneath you. Make sense? Trust me- you won’t be stooping or gracing schools that fall outside the Top Ten with your presence. If you want to move forward- you will need to change the failed mindset that led you to this very unholy place in the first place, and shop all these other wonderful schools outside the Top Ten with renewed spirit, confidence and ( just say it ) intelligence.

Okay- onward. Now that I got that out of my system one last time …

If you do have an unfortunate outcome M10 and do call around to schools post A10, please do not talk to some random receptionist or AO who picks up the phone. A PARENT should always call and ask to speak directly to the Director of Admissions because only he or she will have the info you need . Simply ask them if they’re open to receive a late application and if they are, get it off to them ASAP and follow up. As I’ve mentioned above- you won’t be the only family doing this. If you’re lucky and they invite you for an interview and tour after they’ve read your late app - MOVE MOUNTAINS and GO!! Like my caps? AOs usually don’t extend invitations for an interview and tour Post A10 to anyone unless they like what they see on an app, so go and seal the deal!

SCHOOLS WITH ROLLING ADMISSIONS:

BSs with Rolling Admissions tend to change year to year, but you can find a list of schools on the SSAT website. Last year, there were some top notch schools on the list that I would’ve sent my kids to in a heartbeat. Seriously- I almost fell off my chair when I saw some of the names on the list!! So definitely check it out now and continue to check the list as it gets updated throughout Spring.

Remember- this list changes year to year ( for a myriad of reasons which has NOTHING to do with quality, desirability, or the number of apps they’ve received prior to M10 ) and a school being on the RA list shouldn’t negatively impact anyone’s opinion of the school in any way, shape or form - unless you’re a total snob for whatever reason. Some schools on last year’s list had ( and still have ) a 35% acceptance rate! IDK about you, but I’ve never sneezed at a 35% acceptance rate … but I’d still like to meet anyone who does- just so I know what that sounds like… . :wink:

The Good News: Some amazing BSs also put themselves on Rolling Admissions because they know there are always quality latecomers ( like you! ) who missed the deadline for the last round and they’re encouraging people to apply. They also know that some really great students and their families will get shutout on M10- and there’s absolutely no shame associated with that because it happens all the time. If you see a school or two that you like on the RA list- apply and see what happens!! Even better- if you’re concerned about M10 today , and want to have an edge on other late applicants- call and see if they’ll accept an app now or before or after A9!! What do you have to lose?

More Good News : Whether you go down your own list and cold call schools in the Top 25-50, or take on schools from the SSAT RA List, it is possible to still find placement Post A10 and the school of your new dreams for next year- FA or FP. These schools are in the position to offer ANY student ( FP or FA ) a world class education. It may be more boutique than big box cattle call school, but you will never have to compromise on academic excellence, athletics, campus beauty and college placement. It’s worth a shot.

So- please don’t hesitate to put together a Plan B- especially if you NEED a school for next year. Based on my experience on CC during M10-A10 over waaay too many years , it could arguably be the best use of your time right now leading up to decisions. Do it now while everything is calm, because I can assure you that it won’t be calm later on if you receive all waitlists and rejections.

All the best to everyone and good luck on M10 !!

10 Likes

hiiiiiiii she’s back!

2 Likes

Competing for 5 schools today, we have… NotGoodAtApps11!!! Anddddd… the results are… 5 schools, 5 rejects. Shut up failure never come back.

1 Like

Question- if a school has a form to fill out for the waitlist, should I send an email too?

For the WL email you have a choice:

The classic short and sweet response : I would like to accept the invitation to be on your WL.

Sincerely,

You

OR

One paragraph ( awesome ) or two paragraphs ( TOPS! ) which should cover accepting a place on the WL ( see above ), plus one or two key things that you really loved about the school and how you would definitely attend if you’re offered admission . If the school you’re sending this to is your first choice, say it and end it.

At this time you can also update your file with each school if something special happened in your life ( like some amazing academic or athletic award ), after the app was submitted, but please refrain from multiple follow up updates after your WL email is sent unless it’s something truly significant.

Good luck!! You got this!!

4 Likes

Just a quick word of advice for WL emails :

Give yourself some time before you write one. I know some parents who had their kids write one too soon ( M10 ) only to give anything to take it back one or two days later. Give your self time to shake off today’s results.

This is a very emotional time for everyone so if you want to write something beyond the standard- I would like to accept a place on your WL - email - take some time to reflect about some key things that you love about the school and get your thoughts together.

Remember- this isn’t War and Peace and confidence is key.

Keep it short and sweet and to the point. You’re stronger than you think you are right now - so take your power back.

If a particular WL school is your first choice ( with or without another acceptance ) , close by telling them that you will attend if you’re offered admission.

Most importantly - Don’t rush or overthink it. You got this!

3 Likes

I was waitlisted at Putney and they offered a chance to schedule a meeting with the admissions director. I’m thinking about taking this offer, but does anyone have advice for how I could make the most of it?

Congrats on Westover!

2 Likes

Thank you!!

She’s back. Her ears must have been burning. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Sure, fill out the form and send a separate email to the school AO that you interviewed and worked with.

1 Like

Thank you so much! All of this was so helpful! One question: so I filled out the stay on waitlist form. do I still need to send in another email confirming my position on the waitlist? Also, Deerfield has a section where I can put in any additional resources to my application so they can review them while I’m on the waitlist. Do you have any suggestions of what I Should put in that file? LIke more teacher recommendations, sports stats, and stuff like that?