The Wait List

Do schools tend to publish the number of students admitted from the waitlist from previous years?

Generally not

1 Like

@Yuhh222 , colleges often report this in their CDS, and what it generally reveals is that the #of WL positions offered often exceeds the size of the incoming class and that the # admitted off the WL fluctuates wildly from year to year. One year it may be zero and the next year it may be 10% of the class. While BS are not as transparent, most use similar practices as the colleges.

So I am agreeing with @skieurope and adding that even if they did publish it, it would probably not be particularly helpful to someone sitting on a WL wondering about their odds.

1 Like

I am only suggesting this if you already were in contact with the coaches before. This would apply to elite level teams with a limited number of positions. If you were just planning to try out. or were not in contact before M10
than it probably wouldn’t help

Ah. I understand now. I wasn’t in much contact with coaches before. Thanks!

i got an email from lville on friday

What kind of email? Can you share what it said?

My parents got one too, its for all parents of applicants that r on the choate wl

There are 2 kinds of WL emails you can get right now. The first explains how the WL works. It may say something like “Beginning A11, we will determine whether or not we will be accepting students from our WL.”

The second is typically a follow-up to a call in which you have been offered acceptance.

Rather than freak everyone out here, it would be helpful if you said what kind of email you got. Sometimes, schools go to their WL before A10 because they already know they are underenrolled.

2 Likes

How does one most typically hear if you have been offered a spot, and come off the waitlist? Is it a phone call? How long are you given to accept?

Based on past posts, it’s usually a phone call with a 24 hour deadline

1 Like

Do waitlisted students who get accepted do less well than the students who were accepted the first round of admissions? I know the schools say they do just as good but I can’t stop wondering that there was something the students who were accepted had that I did not to get admitted. I’m asking because if I do get off a waitlist, I’m no longer sure I would go, because I think i may not do as good at that school than the ones I got into

Top schools will tell you, and I believe them, that 85% of applicants can do they work.

If you get off the WL, you can do they work. And nobody amongst your classmates will know you were on the WL unless you tell them.

Do not fall into the Impostor Syndrome trap.

8 Likes

Thanks!

Not sure if I agree with the85% number, but I do a agree that the limited number of beds is a reason for many wls. In that sense they are as good as many who are admitted.

@skieurope means that 85% can do the work. That doesn’t mean they would be a good fit, it just means they are academically capable.

2 Likes

If the work means passing grades, maybe. If the work means growing into a person she herself and the school hope she will, then no.

The point of going to a good school is not passing grades and a diploma. We should not define the work as such.

If you are on the WL, you passed the bar. If you are pulled from the WL, you are able to be fully successful at that school. Full stop.

The BS WLs are just like college WLs. One year, Yale stated it could craft two more classes from its WL without losing any shine. Except for those few “courtesy” decisions, no one is on the list because they are “less than” – what would be the point of that? The schools need their WLs to pull equal matches for those admitted who matriculate elsewhere. They don’t want to have to wade through a “lesser” pool looking for acceptable goods. Unacceptable goods did not make it onto the list.

You are on the WL because there are too many of you wonderful, talented, high-achievers than there are slots at any given school. That is the truth. Do not torment yourselves with any false narrative.

I wish each and every one of you all the best at the schools that loved you and, for those waiting, all the best after A11.

8 Likes

I would argue that a flat out rejection also does not mean you are “lesser” and unacceptable. That is pretty ridiculous when you look at acceptances and see people being accepted to a top 10 school, but rejected by another top 10. Certainly the one who did accept is not taking “lesser and unacceptable”. Maybe they had no aid left and didn’t want to string someone along, maybe they already had a full football team plus a waitlist full. My point is, there is no way to know why you were waitlisted or rejected and even though it is difficult to not take it personally and feel you are not good enough, the waitlist signifies they did like you. A rejection signifies that for some reason only they know, they thought you were not a good fit, or had a deep enough pool already of kids like you.

3 Likes

@SevenDad always used to chime in that his almost perfect stats daughter was flat out rejected by Choate but accepted to other peer schools. I agree with @AnonMomof2’s post that even a rejection doesn’t mean you are not acceptable. You’ll just never know the reason for some of these decisions. Sure, WLs and rejections sting, but they are no reflection of your worth.

3 Likes